Author Topic: Archer help....  (Read 7371 times)

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Archer help....
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:56:19 AM »
Hello....I am trying to create a character for a campaign that starts in about 2 weeks.  I know we are starting around 10th, possibly will go a bit longer than level 10, our DM typically will go to around lvl 30 at the very least, so a possible lvl 30 build would be nice just so I have a basis of what to go from.

I am not looking for complicated I am trying to figure out a simple build using HANKS ENERGY BOW from the Archery Handbook.  Most materials are allowed as long as I have a refference to them.  My DM typically allows other settings in his campaigns to make things somewhat more interesting.

I have no idea the best race except a high Dex and Str would be best.  I considered a half ogre Barbarian with the bow that goes into warhulk but that would just be for the +str every lvl.

Considered a halforc or a full blown orc to make a character like the orc from Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the rings, you know the orc who tried to kill Aragon with that kick butt bow ?

Stats are 12, 18, 17, 18, 16, 17. 

I am more inclined for damage, so not sure if to take a template JUST for the stat bonuses I am not sure if thats good or bad.

I am trying to stay away from Caster classes and too much optimization to the point I dont know nor understand whats there is usually a bad idea.

I think that orc from LOTR, may have been a Fighter, Peerless Archer.  Not many PRCs out there that bodes well for Archers, so not sure of the Initiate order of the bow PRC will be good or not.  Deepwood Sniper is possible but that requires some ranger stuff.

I Did consider making a Warforged Archer type, more for the awesomeness of it, They cant sleep, combine with Ranger to get spot and Listen then grab the Warforged paragon level 1 to get darkvision, then grat the Essence of the Gaurd Faceplates to get more out of it.

So In essence, I am looking for Simple.  Fighter/Ranger or something.  I dont understand the Swift hunter thing so I am trying to stay away from it.  Already had Cleric Reccommended to me as an Archer but I dont like the idea of keeping track of spells, Im more Simple and to the point.  Which means I rather take Fighter then take sorcerer for 1 lvl and go into Dragon Disciple (Only for an example, not for real). 

So nice, straight, Simple as much as possible and to the point is preffered, try to leave the buffing up to others, I am a single minded type player, which means if I fire off a arrow then thats what I do.  I cant buff myself then fire off arrows, that just confuses me and causes me to have a headache......

While im thinking about it, the Group make up is........Kreen Blender (Concentrating on Natural claw attacks and is doing around 5d6 or 6d6 damage with each claw, a Bard who is an archer and from what I hear is a insanely good one, and a Second character thats a Cleric thats being played by my brother because its summer and not many people are around.  So my brother is dealing decent damage to out rageous Damage.

We also have rules about hybriding or something Dont ask me I dont understand it but a decent amount of 3rd party stuff is permitted.  Maybe Ill play a Kreen Fighter, weilding 2 of hanks energy bows and use my money to increase the amusement like splitting enhancement.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Dawnmor

• Email
Re: Archer help....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:04 AM »
I also considered a Arcane Archer type but im not sure.

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:38:32 AM »
My mate's got an archer that kicks serious ass.

Human (able learner)
Ranger 4 (for kick ass ranger spells: hunters mercy)
Cleric 1 Elf and War domain (for Truestrike)
Sword Sage 1 (Nice defencive manuvers and good skills)
Kensai 10 (Surge ability, +10 intimidate, EPIC bow)

Uses pearls of power and craft potion to use many spells per day.

Swapped animal companion for a Hawk familiar to scout enemies and use his spot ranks.

Max: spot, hide, Silent, Intimidate, climb

If you can use Hank's bow as the Kensai weapon that would be EPIC!
Abilities at level 11: Splitting, Exit wound.

Use swift action(sudden leap or belt of battle) to line up 2 or more enemies then full attack them all!

Best of all, every abilitiey works at any distance.

Sniper:
True strike+Hunters mercy+Acidic burst arrow+max powershot = dead dude.
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »
Also,
get Strong arm braces (to use weapons 1 size larger)and permanent enlarge and your arrows will do 4d6 base damage. Add surge for +8 str and you should be pretty deadly.

And don't forget how powerful stealth is as a defence. If you hide 300' away and snipe (with woodland archery feat) then you get a net +10 hide and can fire and move each round.

Combine this with Ebon Eyes (cleric 1) and night time = kill anyone at will.
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
The deadeye feat (Dragon Compendium) lets you add your dexterity bonus to damage rolls with ranged weapons, but only within 30 feet.  (There's errata for it.  It requires base attack bonus +1, not +14.)  The targetter variant fighter (Dragon 310) gives you the ability to add dex to damage with ranged weapons instead of str, but only within 30 feet. 

One option is soulbow (Complete Psionic).  You would shoot mind arrows, which work mostly like regular arrow, but with wis added to damage.  Using the zen archery feat (Complete Warrior), you can also use wis to hit with ranged attacks. 

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
One option is soulbow (Complete Psionic).  You would shoot mind arrows, which work mostly like regular arrow, but with wis added to damage.  Using the zen archery feat (Complete Warrior), you can also use wis to hit with ranged attacks. 
It's unlikely that Soulbow mind arrows can be fired from a physical bow.

I'm inclined to just say "Swift Hunter" and be done with it.  Honestly, it's probably the best range-limited archer with or without hank's bow.

Although, if you can pick Raptoran for a race and have the base item for Hank's Bow changed to a Footbow, you get an extra damage boost and might even be able to justify a 2:1 damage ratio.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »
The deadeye feat (Dragon Compendium) lets you add your dexterity bonus to damage rolls with ranged weapons, but only within 30 feet.  (There's errata for it.  It requires base attack bonus +1, not +14.)  The targetter variant fighter (Dragon 310) gives you the ability to add dex to damage with ranged weapons instead of str, but only within 30 feet. 

there is no range limitation on the targeteer's vital aim ability.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »
I'm inclined to just say "Swift Hunter" and be done with it.  Honestly, it's probably the best range-limited archer with or without hank's bow.

...and that's the problem. Charge, grapple, sunder, close range spells, easy to spot and hear.

I think long range is the entire point of archery.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »
One of the races with Powerful Build(= large Bow) + Zen Archery(all have -2 Dex and you need WIS anyway, if you want to spot your target at long range ;))?
- The Goliath(RoS) does get a nice racial Substitution for Barbarian
- The Half Giant(SRD) is naturally psionic, which opens up a bunch of feats
- The Eneko(Secrets of Sarlona) AFAIK doesn't offer anything remarkable

A Dex-based Archer could profit from Woodelf(SRD) and the Wildrunner PrC(gives a ragelike ability, that does boost Dex).

I'd base the Energy Bow on a Dragonbone Bow, if possible(for greater range) and combine it with a [insert your choice of material] Greatsword, to make a Swordbow.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »

...and that's the problem. Charge, grapple, sunder, close range spells, easy to spot and hear.

I think long range is the entire point of archery.

Easier, maybe, but not necessarily easy.  Sundering is an issue only if your DM is a dick (or possibly if you're using PF sunder rules).  If you look at it a certain way, a Swift Hunter is basically a Charger that just doesn't quite run all the way to his target.  Getting counter-charged is an issue, but spells are deadly at any range.  What's more, if Sword of the Arcane Order is on the table, then you can use wands of... what was it, Sniper's Shot?  The spell that removes the range limit on Sneak Attack (and, I'd assume by proxy, Skirmish as well?).  That makes it *able* to shoot from a distance if it had to.

That said, while Swift Hunters have issues at long range, snipers have issues at short range.  Namely, they're dealing ranged attack damage on the front-lines.  That's just begging for disaster.

Finally, please don't make me rage out in yet another thread about the suckitude of Grapple rules...

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
If you want long range archery, Deepwood Sniper is good, and I love Cragtop Archer from Races of Stone.  The ranges they can hit...without an attack penalty... are amazing.  You may actually need divination magic just to see your targets. :)

Also, here is the archery handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0

And a fun thread on maximum range you can hit: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866454/Ok_so_what_is_the_maximum_distance_you_can_get_using_a_bow

EDIT: Never take the 5th level of Cragtop Archer, if it wasn't obvious upon viewing.  First 4 levels are golden, though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:29:26 PM by StreamOfTheSky »

Dawnmor

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Would a Pixie Rogue whos an archer as well be better? take Craven?.  Also with the Pixies natural invisibility would the natural invisbility include its weapons and such despite the fact they shoot off light like a beacon?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
Soulbows create arrows, which can be fired without a bow. However, that doesn't preclude them from it.

I'd either go soulbow (with a bow) or a soulbound weapon psychic warrior, myself. Use the soulbow's ability to grab lucky arrows for constant rerolls, or the psywar's ability to pull in a new weapon every time. Grab an elvencraft longbow for massive utility (and they get lots of bonus feats and some good powers that can be repurposed as you see fit -- see Strength of My Enemy).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
Soulbows create arrows, which can be fired without a bow. However, that doesn't preclude them from it.
Actually, the text heavily implies that the Soulbow can't use a physical bow.  Note the fact that they are identical to an arrow shot from a longbow.

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
Consider playing a Factotum, take Manyshot and Font of Inspiration a few times, dip cleric for Knowledge Devotion (and Travel Devotion) and you are done. Simple and effective. You'd be competent outside of combat too.

Dawnmor

• Email
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »
Does the natural invisibility of a Pixie cover Hanks bow? it is like a beacon of light in a manner of speaking so I am curious if the bow would look like its flying around by self or the invisibility of the pixie over it ?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
Also,
get Strong arm braces (to use weapons 1 size larger)and permanent enlarge and your arrows will do 4d6 base damage. Add surge for +8 str and you should be pretty deadly.

And don't forget how powerful stealth is as a defence. If you hide 300' away and snipe (with woodland archery feat) then you get a net +10 hide and can fire and move each round.

Combine this with Ebon Eyes (cleric 1) and night time = kill anyone at will.
Being 300 feet away also gives them a -30 to their spot checks to see you. So basically a +30 to your hide check. Being a sniper is really good even without special hiding abilities.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Halinn

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
Actually, the text heavily implies that the Soulbow can't use a physical bow.  Note the fact that they are identical to an arrow shot from a longbow.

Also: "For instance, a Medium soulbow materializes an arrow that speeds toward the specified target" seems to say that the arrow gets fired right as it is materialized, so it wouldn't be able to be put on a regular bow and shot.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
well, not shot from a bow perhaps, but no reason why pretending can't work. and if one has hank's bow, one could get two for one on each shot. add manyshot and greater manyshot for added fun.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Jackinthegreen

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
Does the natural invisibility of a Pixie cover Hanks bow? it is like a beacon of light in a manner of speaking so I am curious if the bow would look like its flying around by self or the invisibility of the pixie over it ?

Since a Pixie's ability is pretty much (Greater) Invisibility, her worn possessions also become invisible.  The issue is, even when invisible, the bow will most likely shed light when used.  Only the string and arrow will be seen, so it's up to the DM in to determine what happens in that circumstance really.