Author Topic: How do essentia pools work.  (Read 1302 times)

Agrippa

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
How do essentia pools work.
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:15:45 PM »
I've heard of Magic of Incarnum but haven't checked it out just yet. But one thing bus me, essentia points. How exactly do they work? Do you expend them for any length of time or merely assign and reallocate them as you wish? I'd like to know before I try this system out.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: How do essentia pools work.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
But one thing bus me, essentia points. How exactly do they work? Do you expend them for any length of time or merely assign and reallocate them as you wish?
The latter.

As a swift action "Divert power from the engines to the shields!", that kind of thing. Two exceptions that come to mind:
Incarnum feats have essentia invested into them at the start of the day, and cannot be adjusted for 24 hours.
The soulcaster can invest essentia into spells, which cannot be removed until the spell is cast (after which it returns to your normal pool).

There is a limit on how much essentia you can put in a single receptacle based on character level (normally maxing at 4), though certain abilities let you overcome this. This is why the ability to bind a soulmeld to multiple chakras is good - you're fueling two powers with one pool.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:25:10 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agrippa

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
Okay then, that makes more sense. Thank you Prime.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
There ARE some ways around some of this. Take the Psicarnum Infusion feat, for example. Expend your focus to max out a single incarnum receptacle (ie, anything that you could invest essentia into) for one round. Note that the text of the incarnum feats forces the essentia to remain invested for 24 hours, meaning Psicarnum Infusion lets you max them out for the cost of a full-round action (or a move action, with Psionic Meditation).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]