Author Topic: sleep questions  (Read 1490 times)

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
sleep questions
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
Hey I was just curious where the rules for sleep are? Obviously you need sleep or "rest" to regain spells but under the condition blocks of fatigued and exhausted I cant find a natural trigger to make you sleepy. But I can't seem to find anything forced march seems to be the closest I could find. Does anyone know where it is off the top of their head.  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:37:21 PM by mthor »
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: sleep questions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
your grammar seems a little off .... try to explain that differently, if you could; as I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

aboyd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
There are no penalties in the rules for a lack of sleep; that's why you see nothing in the rules about it.  According to D&D 3.5 edition, at least, a character that stays awake for 45 days straight is fine.  He or she may not be able to regain spells, but that's about it.

Personally, I apply the forced march rules to those who stay awake beyond a day.  Each day past day one, the forced march rules apply, getting worse & worse.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »
oh, okay -- I see what you're getting at.
The rules only ambiguously talk about having to make endurance checks for anything that constitutes an arduous task -- and the only real example they give is forced marching (but I seem to remember reading about long swims and climbs as well ... but I'm not sure).
I would assume that sleep would fall under this.

But, I'm a little more strict at my table:
- stay awake for 16 + con mod hours ; each hour after that takes 1 point non-lethal damage
- each additional hour requires con check DC 5 +1/additional hour
  -- success = good to go (does not erase previous fails)
  -- fail = fatigued ; 2 fails = exhausted ; each fail also takes 1d4 additional non-lethal damage
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:06:57 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
My rule of sleep used to be 16 hours of adventuring rendered you automatically fatigued, and 8 hours of sleep would fix this. If they do not sleep, then after 16 hours of being fatigued they are exhausted.

Unfortunately, the rules for sleeping in heavy armor would suggest that one had not slept at all, despite 8 hours of nonmovement

Now I do it like this: 16 hours of adventuring makes you fatigued. If you do not sleep, you become exhausted after 8 hours. If you do not sleep for another 16 hours of being exhausted, you need to make a DC 5+1/hour Fortitude save each hour or fall unconscious and sleep for 8 hours, after which you wake up fatigued.

If you sleep in heavy armor, you wake up fatigued, yes, but you can go a full 16-hour adventuring day becfore you become exhausted. If you sleep in heavy armor to remove the exhausted condition, you wake up fatigued, ready for another 16-hour adventuring day before exhaustion. However, if you are exhausted after 16 hours because you were fatigued from sleeping in heavy armor, sleeping without heavy armor removes both the fatigued and exhausted conditions.

I realize that this rule effectively creates different kinds of fatigue and exhaustion, but I needed to stick to the "heavy armor sleeping makes fatigued" rule. After all, going without sleep is way more exhausting than getting a bad sleep!
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

mthor

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Ah thank you all. As Wotmaniac pointed out my grammar is doing strange things. Maybe I need to get some more sleep myself before I post.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Redeemer of Ogar

• My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
If you can still find it, the 2nd Edition "Wilderness Survival Guide" has good rules for this as I recall. I suspect they could be easily adapted, they might need no adaption at all.