Author Topic: Best Wizard for my party?  (Read 4564 times)

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
Re: Best Wizard for my party?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
Even though what these posters claim is true, they overstate what a Red Wizard can really do at the table.  Yes, in theory they can throw around CL 40 spells (but given that there aren't really any uncapped spells in Core, there's no benefit to such a CL), and can auto-empower and auto-maximize all of their blasts, but you will only have so many wizard followers with tattoo focus

Not if you get smart with Simulacrum.  And at (I believe) your tenth level of Red Wizard, your simulacra (of yourself) will be able to lead their own great circles.  And you've got a bunch of Wizard followers from Leadership, along with your Cohort, just give them Tattoo Focus.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 10:56:27 PM »
 given that there aren't really any uncapped spells in Core, there's no benefit to such a CL

Wat?

I echo the diviner/Red Wizard builds suggested. Banning off course Evocation and Enchantment.

Play it like GOD, and you are fine.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 04:10:21 AM »
 given that there aren't really any uncapped spells in Core, there's no benefit to such a CL

Wat?
I guess if you look at it that way, then Spiritual Weapon isn't capped, either.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:27 AM »
Specialize in evocation, ban conjuration and transmutation.

That was mean, lying to him like that! He came with an honest question! You should be ashamed!
BG's other resident furry!

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »
Specialize in evocation, ban conjuration and transmutation.

That was mean, lying to him like that! He came with an honest question! You should be ashamed!

Yeah, you're right. More serious then: the best wizard for your party is the one the player wants to play.

Drammor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
Oooh. Ooh. What level are you starting at?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
Even though what these posters claim is true, they overstate what a Red Wizard can really do at the table.  Yes, in theory they can throw around CL 40 spells (but given that there aren't really any uncapped spells in Core, there's no benefit to such a CL), and can auto-empower and auto-maximize all of their blasts, but you will only have so many wizard followers with tattoo focus

Not if you get smart with Simulacrum.  And at (I believe) your tenth level of Red Wizard, your simulacra (of yourself) will be able to lead their own great circles.  And you've got a bunch of Wizard followers from Leadership, along with your Cohort, just give them Tattoo Focus.
I decided to go and re-read the spell, since it's been a while, and IMO I don't think the game the OP is playing in will be able to stand up to the kind of abuse required to make that XP cost for Simulacrum worthwhile.  I know XP is a river and all that, but when you're repeatedly casting Simulacrums then you can piss away a *lot* of XP at an alarming rate.

I actually think the OP should go for a more low-powered route.  Aim for Loremaster, using primarily Item Creation feats to qualify (Scribe Scroll is one... Craft Wondrous and Craft Wand are two more good ones).  Play at your best until you start outshining the Paladin and Rogue, then craft a level's worth of items for the Paladin and the Rogue to bring them back up a little.