Author Topic: Dead Earth: United  (Read 9575 times)

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
Dead Earth: United
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
Doctor Reagan, Builder, and Brock all pause as the two newcomers, Chuck and Hudson stand some fifteen feet away. Brock's hand instinctively moves to the gun at his side. After seeing the bikers earlier that day, could anyone be trusted? Brock looks up into the sky and notes that the sun is beginning to set. In several hours it would be dark...

Chuck notices that Reagan is obviously some sort of medically trained person from his white coat. Builder also notes Chuck is wearing a fireman's coat.
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

Mystic Lemur

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Dead Earth: United
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
There is a large man in the middle. He is dark with the sun, and looks like he's used to working outside, but he also looks exhausted. It might have something to do with all the blood covering him, and all the tears in what looks like it used to be a welder's outfit. He sighs as he comes to a halt. "Hospital's not safe. We're leaving. We don't know where to." He looks off into the distance for a second. "We have food if you need it, and Doc here... well, he's a Doctor. I don't want to fight any more today, but I will if you make me." He moves one hand to the handle of an impressively large knife, as if to show he's able if not willing.

[spoiler]Sense Motive: (1d20=5)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
HP: 24
AC: 17
AP: 10[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
Beneath the shade of his helmet, a large burn scar can be seen on the man in the fireman's gear; covering a good half of his face.  He is bristling with weapons, including a shotgun, two nightsticks, and a single-bladed axe slung over his shoulder.  He holds an antique mace in his right hand, but loosely, gently tapping his leg with it every few seconds as if nervous.  Though impossible to tell due to the bulky gear, he is most likely a strong man, considering the ease with which he carries everything.

After listening quietly, he points to his medical kit and says, "We came looking for something better than this.  I'm Chuck.  This is Hudson.  There are injured cops at the police station, along with a friend of ours and some other survivors.  We're hoping to get better medical equipment to try to patch them up after a damn crazy biker gang attacked us.  As if the walking dead wasn't bad enough.  They way back to the station isn't perfectly clear, but we were able to make it here without too much trouble.  You're welcome to join us, but if you're going your own way I'd warn you to steer clear of the helicopters.  Their guns don't distinguish between Infected and survivor."

Actions
[spoiler]Sense Motive (1d20+2=6) They seem like decent honest folk to me...[/spoiler]
Status
[spoiler]HP: 14 (bitten)
AC: 16
Action Points: 8
+8 on next Fortitude save vs. disease[/spoiler]
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »
Builder shifts nervously, then leans over to whisper to Brock and Reagan.

[spoiler]What do you think? A police station might be a safe enough place to last the night. All we have to do is help them get some bandages and shit. With that firefighter in front with me, and another guy to help y'all cover us we might could do it. Or would we just be pushing our luck?[/spoiler]

Builder looks back, and says "By the way, I'm Bob Builder, this here is Brock, and this is Doc Reagan." before he leans back to hear the answer.

[spoiler]

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
Hudson stands quietly next to Chuck as he looks over the three men that emerged from the hospital and decides that if they were to survive the way back they would need each others help to make it. Hudson's a average size man about 6 feet tall with a large scar running down his face from his left eye to the right side of his chin. he's holding a pistol in his right hand and his second one is holstered on his left side with an AK-47 on his back held by a shoulder strap across his chest. hes also carrying a pouch on his back with his ammo and some supplies in it.

As Chuck said my names Sean Hudson. i hope that you guys are ready for some fighting cause i think the way back wont be as easy as it was to get here. i see that your doctor there is in good shape, could he patch me up? cause im feeling a little weak after that last fight we got in.
Actions
[spoiler]Hudson believes that he can trust them since they were willing to exchange names without hesitation.
spot-1d20+4=13
looking for a vehicle that can be used so we can get back quicker and safely[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:44:46 PM by shallowesoul »
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:43 AM »
As introductions are made and the party feels each other out each of them get the feeling that these other folks...well they're just like them, trying to survive in the aftermath of this horrible plague that God wrought on them.

At Chuck's words Reagan spits. "Oh a helicopter shot at you? That doesn't fucking surprise me", he scowls so furiously Chuck can only wonder what he means. "Injured people at this police station you say"? He turns to give Builder and Brock a look before stepping over to Hudson, looking him over before turning his head to nod to Brock and Builder. "This man is hurt. Although I don't know if your good people yet", he says, glancing from Hudson to Chuck, "I can't ignore my Hippocratic Oath". He drops his backpack to the ground and begins pulling out a variety of medical supplies. After cleaning the wound with antiseptics, he threads the wound closed and steps back to admire his work. His smile turns to a frown though. "What the hell happened to you anyway? That was not a bullet wound".

Brock rolls his eyes as the Doc walks off, ignoring Builder completely in his hurry to help someone. Well...he was probably desperate to help people after that mess inside. Brock leans over slightly and whispers back. "It's worth a shot. It's getting dark soon and a police station sounds like a good place to hole up".

He breaks off quickly as to not arouse suspicion from the new comers and nods to Hudson. "Yeah I hear you man. It's been a constant battle for us as well. I guess if you're okay with it we can go with you back to this police station. You folks look like you've been surviving and we have too, it only makes sense that together we'd have a better chance of surviving. If you came for med supplies we got a bunch in our packs. Six first aid kits, three medical kits, and even a surgery kit the Doc here can use. That is...if you trust us. If not, then we should part ways right now. If there's anything I learned so far, it's you have to trust your friends to watch your back or you won't last an hour".

[spoiler]Hudson, you were healed for six points of damage.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:24:42 AM by ragincajun2288 »

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
your help would be much appreciated. Hudson pauses for a moment to see if there is an ambulance nearby and continues now if we can just get a ride out of here it would make our travel much quicker and potentially less dangerous.
Actions
[spoiler]spot-1d20+3=19[/spoiler]
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

Gnomeo

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:24:32 AM »
"We could take our chances with the parking lot.  It's on the other side of the hospital next to the ambulance bay.  I can't say I know how to steal a car, but maybe we'll find something with keys in it."

Chuck readies his mace and hustles over to the corner of the building to take a peek around.  As he looks he does his best to ignore the sounds of Hudson and their new found friends.

Actions
[spoiler]Take 10 to Move Silent gives Chuck an 8
Spot (1d20+8=27)
Listen (1d20+8=25)[/spoiler]
Status

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
"I've got keys to something, but I don't know what it is, or where, much less if it's big enough for all of us. I think an ambulance would be a great idea. we'll be right behind you."

[spoiler]Taking 10 on Hide and Move Silently for 12 each.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:51 AM »
Actions
[spoiler]Hudson follows and takes 10 on both move silently and hide giving him a total of 21 for hide and 22 for move silently[/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
The party creeps up to the corner, some gracefully, other's not so much. As they reach the corner Chuck and Hudson both take a peek around the building's edge. On the other side is a large parking lot with two entrances from the hospital. There are several cars and trucks parked in the lot. Beyond that is the small brick wall that forces them to drive around to one of the entrances. Chuck and Hudson both look around and spot an ambulance at the bottom of the parking lot.

Reagan and Brock follow closely behind, crouching by the wall behind the others and scanning the area with their rifles raised and ready to cover them if need be.

Gnomeo

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
Chuck scans the parking lot, weighing his options.  These newcomers seem to be on the up and up; but if the last two days have proved anything they've proved that even good people will do anything necessary to survive.  Guess we'll know for certain soon enough. 

"Looks clear to me.  I see an ambulance out there.  I'll go in first in case we need to hold them off."  Chuck stows the mace away in a spare section of his medical kit.  He hadn't noticed exactly how much was used.  He's probably patched up more wounds in the past 24 hours than in the first 5 years of firehouse duty.  He pulls his axe out from its carrying strap and adjusts his grip for a moment.  Looking back, he says, "Who wants to drive?"

Status

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »
Brock raises a hand. "I err...I'm a pretty good driver. Just say the word".

Gnomeo

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:35 PM »
"Alright.  I'll head over to the back side of the ambulance and have a look around."

After a brief moment to collect his courage, Chuck ducks low and sprints across the parking lot to the opposite side of the ambulance, using it as cover from the main hospital building.  With his back against the ambulance, he then inches his way up slowly to peer over his shoulder into the ambulance window to make sure it isn't occupied.

Actions
[spoiler]Hide (1d20-2=4)
Move Silent (1d20-2=6)
Spot (1d20+8=20)
Listen (1d20+8=21)[/spoiler]
Status

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Not wanting to let him go alone, Builer takes off after. While Chuck is looking inside the ambulance, Builder will poke his head around the other side.

[spoiler]Taking 10 on Hide and Move Silently for 12 each.
Spot: (1d20=9) If I shut one eye and squint out of the other, it looks like the coast is clear![/spoiler]

[spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
Chuck peeks into the window and looks around inside the back of the ambulance. Nothing dangerous it seemed. The gurney is even gone, probably taken inside the hospital to help a patient...little help that was. Good thing though, more room in the back. Builder comes back around the other side and nods. All clear. Chuck nods back and they move to the other side of the ambulance to get the others.

Suddenly Chuck throws an arm back to stop Builder from moving forward. From where Chuck is standing at the corner of the ambulance he can see something emerge from behind the second building's entrance.

Chuck whispers something low under his breath. A prayer...or a curse.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The thing was huge...monstrous. And somehow....somehow it hadn't spotted them yet. Well they were relatively hidden...and the rest of the party was waiting behind the other entrance. The creature couldn't see them and they couldn't see it. Well the doc could have earlier but now he had his back to the wall, watching Builder's back probably seeing as he had his eye in the rifle's scope. Chuck swallowed, hard to do with a dry throat. How long until the creature looked this way? How long before somebody shouted and alerted it to them? How tough was the fucker anyway?

"What's the deal", Builder asks, unaware of the creature's presence still.

Gnomeo

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
Low and quiet, like a parent trying to calm an infant, Chuck says, "Shhhhhhh-hhhhhhh-hhhhhhh."  If he can just pretend to be calm right now in the face of this...monster...it would be a miracle.

Continuing the slow, calming tone, partly for himself and partly for Builder, he says, "Be still and quiet.  I see a huge freak out there around the corner of the building.  It looks like Destroyah before he gets his wings."

Chuck peers around the ambulance just enough to get into the view of his three companions.  Seeing the doctor's eye in the rifle scope, he waits until the doc looks his way, then places a finger over his mouth as if he were saying <Shhh>.  He then points at his eyes, and then in the direction of the creature.

Actions
[spoiler]Hide (1d20-2=7)
Move Silent (1d20-2=1)[/spoiler]
Status

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
With a look of horror, Builder freezes. From where he's facing he tries to catch a glimpse of the thing in a window or mirror, but a huge part of him actually believes that as long as he keeps still and can't see it, than it won't see him.

[spoiler]Hide (for great justice): (1d20+2=18)
Spot (and hoping I fail it): (1d20=17) :([/spoiler]

[spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »
Doctor Reagan looks up from his scope, then back into it again. Did he just see that? Yeah he did. Chuck was using commonly known military hand signs to alert him to something. Peering around the corner carefully in the direction Chuck was pointing Reagan sees the beast and nearly gasps at the monstrosity of it. Putting his back against the wall and breathing hard he looks to Hudson and Brock. "Slight problem I believe".

Builder kneels low, hiding relatively well but nearly slapping his forehead as Chuck is tripping over his own feet. Not a very graceful lad but Builder can't say much, he normally wasn't either. As long as the fellow was good at killing like himself they'd get along fine. Builder looks under the ambulance and catches a glimpse of the monster. God damn. Could it be killed? It looked like a fucking organic demon tank from Hell. 

They watch as the creature lumbers on over to several corpses lying nearby and begins eating them. With horror Builder realizes it's consuming their heads. He looks over to the Doctor and sees that he sees it as well. The doctor grits his teeth and his face begins to turn red. "Oh no...".

Luckily it seemed distracted, otherwise it would have heard their clatter. Would it leave though? Or head this way? This may be the party's only chance...

"Take the supplies Brock", the doctor says. "I'm going to try and kill this fucker. There's no doubt that is the Reaper, I can see it eating their heads".

Brock shakes his head. "No doc we need you remember? You can use the supplies better than any of us". He leans over to whisper to Hudson. "We may have to drag him off. He's going to get killed, or get us all killed for that matter".

Brock looks over to Chuck and Builder. Builder can see that the Doc is obviously becoming livid. He can also see that there are only a couple corpses left for the beast. Literally any second it's going to look for more food and possibly find them.

Mystic Lemur

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 01:36:16 AM »
"I got an idea." Builder whispers to Chuck. "It's a fucking crazy idea, but I have to try something fast. Doc... He's been... under a lot of stress. He's not taking this whole 'everyone you know and love dying, if they're lucky' thing well. We need a distraction. How quickly could you get this thing started?" he gestures to the ambulance with his free hand. Builder, it appears, talks when he's nervous. As he's talking he's fishing around in his toolbag for something.

He pulls out the set of car keys he found earlier and finds the Alarm button. "I don't know the range on these, but you might want to signal them to hunker down." he says, "And then get inside the ambulance and get ready to crank 'er up. After the thing runs by, I want you to drive over and pick up the guys before it can react." With that he quietly open's the back door for Chuck, and then climbs up on the bumper and gets ready to hit the button at the nearest group of cars...

[spoiler]I'll let you make any rolls you think I need for this little stunt (and I'll spend as many action points as I have to.) But give everyone else a chance to react first (especially poor Chuck :lmao)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Bat-shit crazy, apparently.