Author Topic: Max dice rolled at one time...  (Read 5190 times)

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
Max dice rolled at one time...
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »
Not sure if this has been done, but I'm looking for ideas for a character build that maximizes the number of dice rolled in a short period of time.

I don't care if the character is effective, if they are attack rolls, skill checks, crafting checks, saves etc...

All 3.0, 3.5 allowed...  Level 20 or below, forcing the DM / other players to roll an infuriating amount of dice also a plus :shakefist.

Not really sure which direction to take this, skirmish/sneak attack, breath weapons, prismatic effects, time manipulation?
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Max dice rolled at one time...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
Spellthief/Wizard/Unseen Seer/Ultimate Magus/Sublime Chord/Shadowcraft Mage with Occular Spell.

lots of sneak attack dice.
lots of dice rolled for damage spells.
Memorize Alter Fortune for a bunch of re-rolls.
Sneaky skills require rolls.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
With Warblades Adaption ability + Lightning Maces you can get tons of extra attack. With a bit optimization (obviously getting more attacks + getting greater crit range) you can roll until an enemy is dead (since you mostly get more and more attacks).
Works against crit-immunes, too.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
Metamagic endowed Locate City Bomb from my Mind Mage, AFTER calculating the size of his node and subsequent CL boost.  Mind you, he already has a CL/ML of 4008, and that's after fucking up the free +10 to each from Mind mage 5, so it's actually way higher than that even before the node.  Going off of that figure above, though, you're at 40080 miles, times 528 for the number of dice rolled on a failed save, which will be against an absolutely retarded DC.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
Consider being a Bard with Dragonfire Inspiration and all the shit to buff it up. All attacks in your party get like 10-12d6 extra damage. Then grab a way of getting a lot of minions. Leadership or some such, and have a bunch of archers standing by to fire their arrows at just about anything they see.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
Pixie Crusader wielding a Dagger.

Attack, roll dice until stack overflow error.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
Pixie Crusader wielding a Dagger.

Attack, roll dice until stack overflow error.

...what?
Imbued Healing (Luck) feat lets you reroll results of 1 on your weapon damage dice. The crusader's Aura of Chaos stance has your damage dice explode. A Tiny dagger has a base damage of 1d2.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »
I just told my dice rolling program to do d2 crusader as a test, it locked up for a while and then told me '1' was my result.
Just one 1.
Not sure entirely how it got that!

Trying once more, it got '2'.

Only letting it reroll ones once got 7 (2, 2, 2, 1) so the issue's probably in the 'reroll all ones' section. The number of 2's I'm getting with a d3 make this also quite likely.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:19:58 PM by Kajhera »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
Perhaps it gave up.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
Eh, I'm going to go look in its code. It shouldn't be giving me just one 2 so often on a d3.

Wait, now the statistics are being entirely reasonable.

Okay: I ran it straight from Eclipse. This time it entirely failed to give a result. The error type is an out of memory error. The word 'queue' comes up more often than stack tracing the problem ... so 'stack overflow error' apparently isn't quite the right one for how I've formatted the program.  :p
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:30:46 PM by Kajhera »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
You could have everybody wield warmaces that have greater mighty wallop cast on them.  That's 8d6 base damage on every attack. 

Some sort of two-weapon fighting multi-pounce build would have quite a few attacks. 

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
Invest heavily into luck feats, rerolls, get the luck domain, go for fatespinner or luckstealer, get hundreds of +1 lucky bolts, and hopefully start rolling damage until you get maximum dice. Optionally make your opponents roll everything again and again with that second level spell (name eludes me) that costs a negligible amount of XP for a lvl 20 character. Some magic items give you rerolls too, which you could get by the dozen with lvl 20 WBL.

Bring along your cohort, familiar, pet, mount and an army. Then roll all of their dice as well.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
PBMC charging build has lots.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »
Eh, I'm going to go look in its code. It shouldn't be giving me just one 2 so often on a d3.

Wait, now the statistics are being entirely reasonable.

Okay: I ran it straight from Eclipse. This time it entirely failed to give a result. The error type is an out of memory error. The word 'queue' comes up more often than stack tracing the problem ... so 'stack overflow error' apparently isn't quite the right one for how I've formatted the program.  :p
Different data structure, same problem. :p

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 12:34:12 AM »
These are all great, locate city bomb looks fun...

How would DFI interact w/swarms? (Verminlord hivemind?)
I know verminlord was changed to Nerf H.I.V.E. but is there something similar that can be done that has a little wiggleroom for a level of thrallherd so that I can get DFI of each energy type from believers?

With kalashtar I guess only one free level is needed...
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:22:26 AM »
Okay, take many flasks of alchemist's fire and prepare nothing but explosive runes as your 3rd and above spell slots. Cast these on either many or one flask. You could get a handy haversack and decide which to pull up at what moment.

Each ER does 6d6. If you put a whole bunch on a single flask, it will explode with very potent damage, no save.

If you are not allowed to put multiple ER on one surface, you can empty the flask, put the ERs on quarter strips of paper, roll them up, and stuff them in the flask with a single ER on it. When you toss it, that flask blows, destroying each piece of paper, releasing a score of ER.

You only need to throw the flask into the same square as the target because that is reading distance, so no save.

Using just 3rd level spells, a fresh wizard can get 18d6 as a touch attack, no save. But you can easily roll a 100d6 at high level. Good stuff!

Now, you said go for quantity, not efficiency. There are your ridiculous numbers of dice under epic levels.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
Okay, take many flasks of alchemist's fire and prepare nothing but explosive runes as your 3rd and above spell slots. Cast these on either many or one flask. You could get a handy haversack and decide which to pull up at what moment.

Each ER does 6d6. If you put a whole bunch on a single flask, it will explode with very potent damage, no save.

If you are not allowed to put multiple ER on one surface, you can empty the flask, put the ERs on quarter strips of paper, roll them up, and stuff them in the flask with a single ER on it. When you toss it, that flask blows, destroying each piece of paper, releasing a score of ER.

You only need to throw the flask into the same square as the target because that is reading distance, so no save.

Using just 3rd level spells, a fresh wizard can get 18d6 as a touch attack, no save. But you can easily roll a 100d6 at high level. Good stuff!

Now, you said go for quantity, not efficiency. There are your ridiculous numbers of dice under epic levels.

Explosive runes only detonate when they're read or an attempt to remove them (by dispelling or erasure) has failed.  The spell says nothing about detonating if the surface on which the runes are written is destroyed.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
Would you consider tearing up a sheet of paper with explosive runes on it a failed attempt to disable the trap? A lot of DMs would consider trying to destroy the surface upon which the ERs are written failing to disable it, setting it off. Shattering a flask upon which the runes are written would count.

Otherwise, you would produce 2 ER with one casting by ripping the sheet of paper in half.

BUT...
If the DM rules that the expllding flask is unacceptable, you can just use mage hand to wave the ER paper in front of the person in question.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
I could see trying to destroy the surface explosive runes is written on counting as an attempt to remove it.  But I can't see successfully destroying the surface counting as a failed attempt.