Author Topic: Elan Super-Aberration  (Read 1963 times)

Drammor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Elan Super-Aberration
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
I'm trying to make an elan into the guest of a myconid host as a symbiotic creature. In order to do this, I need to make the elan into an animal, humanoid, plant or vermin by type, or count as any of those for the purposes of the template, and it needs to be size small (since no non-advanced myconids are bigger than Large).

Could the elan take humanoid heritage from Races of Destiny to qualify for the template? If not, then how do I make this happen? What are the fastest ways to make it happen? And what ways are the easiest?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:31:57 AM by Drammor »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Elan Super-Aberration
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:25:36 AM »
Yes. Due the Elan racial origin, they are human-descended, qualifying them for Human Heritage. By taking the feat, you lose your original abberation type and become a humanoid (human) and are specifically treated as one for all effects. Though it would be tricky to work this for an inherited template (since race is chosen before feats), it looks like you're aiming for an acquired template so you should be all set.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Drammor

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »
Come to think of it, the host doesn't really need to innately be an animal, humanoid, plant or vermin if there's a template or effect that can change its type to any of those... although this is reaching into the realm of impossibly complex, there have got to be some creatures with size huge that aren't physically so big or bulky, which could be used as a host for a medium elan made to qualify for the template, right?

I'm attempting to make an elan character that completely embraces the concept of becoming an aberration, but I don't want to go with the route of becoming a pseudonatural creature. What I'm really shooting for is something that's freaky.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:39:45 AM by Drammor »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
Tips http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863774/Symbiotic_Creature_Template_-_Handbook

For getting around sizes you could make one half of the combination a lycanthrope and switch forms after merging. I'm not sure why you need to use the elan race if you'll be spending all your time merged though.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
Ah, in that case try this. Combine with the Master of Flies class in Savage Species for serious "WTF". Not sure about it's power, but there will be people creeped out. :D

Drammor

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
Ah, in that case try this. Combine with the Master of Flies class in Savage Species for serious "WTF". Not sure about it's power, but there will be people creeped out. :D
That is an awesome template, but it doesn't modify a creature's type... do you know of any templates that do? Something with a low LA would be best.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:56:40 AM »
Sadly, humanoid, animal and vermin are very hard types to acquire. Usually templates make magical beasts or monstrous humanoids or whatever the non-humanoid parent happened to be.