Author Topic: Trying to Mood the Trixie to fit within the game rules  (Read 2414 times)

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
Trying to Mood the Trixie to fit within the game rules
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »

Well I am trying to moddify the trixie to fit within a games rules
for full info on the Trixie see http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867902/Trixie_the_Party_Booster

Well first off the rules

1) Make what you consider the world's greatest hunter. You do not have to take this literal. It can be any kind of hunter, whether someone who hunts animals, or a bounty hunter.  However, you MUST be able to explain your character, and how/why they are a hunter.
2) No Pun-Pun, dragonwrought kobolds, warforged barbarian, barbarian/horizon walker, or other combinations that are considered "broken".
3) a) Books that are allowed are all the "Complete" books, the core books (including all monster manuals), Dragon Magic, Cityscape, the Races books (minus Eberron), Miniatures Handbook, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, Unearthed Arcana, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Savage Species, and Tome of Battle (see rule #5 on class changes). The Slayer prestige class from the SRD will be used over the Expanded Psionics book version. Web Enhancements of the above books are also allowed. Just name the source (ie Player's Handbook II Web Enhancement). Everything must be 3.5 only (including 3.5 update).
b) Book of Exalted Deeds, Draconomicon and Dungeonscape are pending. Combat Styles for rangers noted on the site Crystal Keep (www.crystalkeep.com) under Base Classes and "Fangshield Ranger" from Champions of Valor are allowed, as of now. At this time, no 3.0 books are allowed to be used.
4) Dead Levels are allowed.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x
5) Tome of Battle classes and the Complete Warrior class hexblade will be as per the suggested blog revisions as per creators Mike Mearls and Richard Baker. Note: ToB classes can't recharge in a battle, Warblades are d10 instead of d12, and Crusaders no longer have random manuevres given to them each round. ToB classes will be limited to one class per character (ie no warblade 6/swordsage 7). Hexblades have a new class level progression. Contact the DM in charge for further details. (I've provided the link here http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/cybervid/Hexbladefix.jpg)
7) Original druid wildshape ability, sorcerer/wizard polymorph spell, and psion's metamorphosis power are not allowed. Use their variants, if any.
8) All races available in the books in Rule 3 are allowed. If it has a level adjustment, it can not be bought off. Unearthed Arcana Bloodlines are also allowed.
9) Like the races, you are allowed any template (ie winged creature, half elemental, half-dragon, etc). Again, level adjustments are kept, not bought off. The Feral template is not allowed though.
10) Racial substitutions are allowed (ie Goliath Barbarian, Warforged Paladin, Half-Elf Urban Ranger, Gnome Illusionist, Elf Generalist Wizard).
11) Variant classes and class features are allowed, just name the source (ie Paladin of Freedom, Druid Aspect of Nature, etc).
12) No generic classes (ie warrior, expert, or adept) from Unearthed Arcana. Standard base classes only.  Prestige classes of base classes are also not allowed (Paladin, Ranger, Bard) as the standard base classes are present.
13) Stats will be built with the 32-point system as per the DMG, and all characters are 20th level with 760,000 gold.
14) Choose any alignment necessary for the classes. Favored classes for racial XP penalties is a factor.
15) Hit Points will be at one-half over half die progression (ie d4=3; d6=4; d8=5; d10=6, d12=7).
16) Characters are allowed 1 (optional) flaw from Unearthed Arcana.
17) Spells can be done with either the original progression, magic spell point progression, or spontaneous progression, as per the SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/ There are no recharges on spells short of using a pearl of power wondrous item.
18) All characters will have a death threshold of CON score + HD instead of -10. This makes Diehard that much more important/valuable a feat. (Likely change for the convention's game, and be put back to the -1 to -9.)
19) Death effects do 20d6+1d6 per caster level instead of instant death. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030105a (This will likely change when the actual convention starts.)
20) No Epic Destinies.
21) The Dodge feat variant will be used. This means that it gives a continuous +1 to AC so long as you're not flat-footed.
22) All characters will be looked at for approval by the DM in charge before being accepted. They must be handed in on the Friday before. Final copies are to be completed an hour prior to starting.

Any ieads or sejestions ?

well i know i will have to change the weapons and some of the gear but man I just get lost looking at it all

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Trying to Mood the Trixie to fit within the game rules
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
Not sure what you want here.

Carnivore is the author of Trixie.
His work is the most likely to be considered The Best around here, and back at wizards.com CO.
So you aren't going to find any Rules problems with that build.

With that in mind, most of the "rules" in your post, already work with Trixie.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
it is more trying to find good substitution for the parts that are not allowed in the rules

examples

Darkstalker from LoM

Talenta Boomerang from Eb

Boomerang Daze from RE

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
The only substitute for Darkstalker that I know of is Superior Invisibility. Since it looks like leadership is allowed you could get someone to persist it on you. You could have it cast as an invisible spell and use your racial invisibility to turn invisible. That would let you turn your invisibility off and on without needing your cohort to recast it on you.

TunFiskeMad

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
Sorry but I'm kinde confused - how is barb/horizon walker broken?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
Sorry but I'm kinde confused - how is barb/horizon walker broken?
This plus some of the other rulings make me wonder if it's even worth trying.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »
 :(
I don't get which Rabbit And/Or Magic Hat these House-Rules were pulled from.
{ ... insert implying black holes and turds smiley face ... }

"16) Characters are allowed 1 (optional) flaw from Unearthed Arcana.
17) Spells can be done with either the original progression, magic spell point progression, or spontaneous progression, as per the SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/ There are no recharges on spells short of using a pearl of power wondrous item."

This two together infer that: 1 more Flaw and Feat, is greater than a Spell Point Wizard. Really.
I mean there's a Handbook on the Handbook board, for turning Casters into Spontaneous Casters.

Serious question:
Do you wanna just use a Magic Mart and JaronK's npc Expert builds ??

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
I am not the DM and he is the one coming up with the character creation rules not me I also had a few combos form the Psionic Tricks Handbook that did not go over well.  he viewed things the the psionic battery as being able to break the game.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
Ok well, how about this:

She's "Hot".
Still a carnivore build. Still a Pixie. Still fun. Still DM kosher.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19859874/A_Hot_little_number_....._Pixie_Pyrokineticist?pg=1

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
very nice build do you have a list of his builds ?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »