Author Topic: Blues Brothers© gestalt optimization  (Read 2214 times)

behaigo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Blues Brothers© gestalt optimization
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:53:34 AM »
A small group and I are about to start a campaign inspired by the Blues Brothers.  We will be starting at 11th lvl with standard wealth and a 32-point buy.  I'll be the "Jake" of the party and was thinking of playing a Paladin of Freedom//Bard, but other than that have no idea where to take it.  Anything from "take this feat" to "check this build" would be a lot of help.

A few notes:

All official 3.5 and converted 3.0 material is welcome (including campaign specific and dragon magazine)
Unlike normal gestalt, we will be able to take two prestige classes simultaneously
Humans get a +2 racial bonus to a chosen ability score
Abilities/spell/feats that focus on singing or dancing is a plus

Thanks in advance
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

This is the best name generator ever!

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Blues Brothers© gestalt optimization
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:01 AM »
I'd only take the first 2 to 4 levels of paladin and then move on to crusader (or warblade).  This also makes it easy to take song of the white raven (Tome of Battle), which lets you inspire courage as a swift action.  

A level of battle dancer (Dragon Compendium) seems to fit very nicely.  It's like monk, but chaotic and performance-based, with full base attack bonus and charisma to AC.  

A level of marshal (Miniatures Handbook) somewhere could be nice.  

Snowflake wardance (Frostburn) gives you charisma to hit.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:33:58 AM by Maat_Mons »

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:07:32 AM »
I wasn't really thinking of taking paladin too far, and crusader or warblade do sound like solid choices.

One thing I was thinking of was taking Iaijutsu Master.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to convince my DM to let me (thanks to this)  Maybe something like:  

Paladin 3/Battle Dancer 1/Warblade 2/Iaijutsu Master 5.

If I take the right feats and maneuvers I could reliably have my Cha to AC, saves, attack and damage.

Does this build look viable?  What kind of stuff should I do with my bard side?
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:23:56 AM »
The idea is awesome.

My build suggestion would be something like
Marshal 1/Factotum // Warblade/Bard with Song of the White Raven.

Although the Samurai Delicatessen is a good idea.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »
A couple of things I know I want are:

+20 BAB or close to it.  Minimum +16
Optimized bardic music

With that in mind, I think I want to try to keep my full BAB classes on one side and my bardic suff on the other. 

Factotum is an interesting idea.  I'm not sure how it would fit in thematically, but I could prpbably make it fit.  If not, I'm pretty sure that the Elwood will be able to make use of it.

What are some of the better bard feats/PrCs?  I have never played one and don't know where to begin.  Strategies and tactics would be awesome too.

Things I'll likely get:

Song of the White Raven
Snowflake Dance
Battle Dance

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
I'm not that familiar with bards, but I don't think there are that many prestige classes that advance bardic music.  The go-to bard prestige class is sublime chord (Complete Arcane).  That gives better spellcasting, but doesn't advance bardic music. 

There is a fun thing you can do with straight bard.  Bardic knack (Player's Handbook II) is an alternate class feature that replaces bardic knowledge.  It lets you use half your bard level (rounded up) in place of your skill ranks whenever you want.  It doesn't give you the ability to make checks as though trained, but the feat jack of all trades (Complete Adventurer) does.  As an 11th level bard, you would effectively have 6 ranks in every skill, including every craft, profession, and knowledge.  This even includes knowledge (local) for every place that exists. 

If that's not your thing, there's also lore song (Dungeonscape).  That's also an alternate class feature that replaces bardic knowledge.  It lets you add a +4 insight bonus to an attack, check, or save as an immediate action.  It can be used a number of times per day equal to half your bard level (rounded up).

MalcolmSprye

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »
You need to max ride for all the ludicrous chase scenes :)

Oh.. .and they have to be a race with darkvision:
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."   

"Hit it."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:41:07 AM »

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:26:40 AM »
You need to max ride for all the ludicrous chase scenes :)

We were thinking of getting a stage coach with horses with horseshoes of speed  :D

I'm not that familiar with bards, but I don't think there are that many prestige classes that advance bardic music.  The go-to bard prestige class is sublime chord (Complete Arcane).  That gives better spellcasting, but doesn't advance bardic music.  
Bardic knack (Player's Handbook II) is an alternate class feature...
I'll definitely be taking bardic knack.

Sublime chord looks pretty sweet.  Nothing beats 9th lvl spells :D

On the other hand, seeker of the song seems like the exact opposite.  It sacrifices the spellcasting for a much wider variety of songs.  It doesn't look like it's as good as the sublime chord, but it might still lend fairly well to my other half.

Also, "sundark goggles" are a must.  I'm sure there is a way to combine them with something to negate the -2 to search and spot.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:29:03 AM by behaigo »

behaigo

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »
I've decided on Sublime Chord.  Should I just take strait Bard until then, or is there anything else I should dip into?

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
I think with Bard->Sublime Chord, Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 3-10 is pretty popular and very straight forward progression, and might be good with Blues Brothers...

-K