Author Topic: [Pathfinder] No Magic Campaign  (Read 6739 times)

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: [Pathfinder] No Magic Campaign
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »
If magic is not allowed, get some magnets.  :eh

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
Mounted ranged combat. Whitout magic, archery+mobility rules the jungle. Load up in any movement-impairing stuff that's still available. I would guess tanglefoot bags are still ok.

I don't recall 90% of fantasy magic ever made being completely independent of words, exotic material components and special gestures. In 90% of fantasy, tying up and gagging the mage actualy hinders them. In 90% of fantasy mages need some sort of implement and special components. A psion meanwhile can have all its limbs and tongue choped off, naked, and it won't care a single damn about it.

Depends on the fantasy you read. Most of the fantasy I've read, the magic just required willpower/faith, once it's established that you're a special fucking snowflake. Most of the restricted magic comes from game-derived trash.
That seems excessively harsh.  Unlimited magic usually presages terrible storytelling -- you will have to see things like the idiot ball passed around just to get a story off the ground.  Or, ad hoc apocalyptic powers suddenly proliferating.  I'm looking at you Richard Cypher.   

At the very least, some sort of power or thematic limitations almost always end up being necessary. 

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 05:29:58 AM »
Mounted ranged combat. Whitout magic, archery+mobility rules the jungle. Load up in any movement-impairing stuff that's still available. I would guess tanglefoot bags are still ok.

I don't recall 90% of fantasy magic ever made being completely independent of words, exotic material components and special gestures. In 90% of fantasy, tying up and gagging the mage actualy hinders them. In 90% of fantasy mages need some sort of implement and special components. A psion meanwhile can have all its limbs and tongue choped off, naked, and it won't care a single damn about it.

Depends on the fantasy you read. Most of the fantasy I've read, the magic just required willpower/faith, once it's established that you're a special fucking snowflake. Most of the restricted magic comes from game-derived trash.
That seems excessively harsh.  Unlimited magic usually presages terrible storytelling -- you will have to see things like the idiot ball passed around just to get a story off the ground.  Or, ad hoc apocalyptic powers suddenly proliferating.  I'm looking at you Richard Cypher.  

At the very least, some sort of power or thematic limitations almost always end up being necessary.  
Generally I'd retreat back to mythical magic for this.

Most of them have some spells they can use basically all the time, though they do get tired, and some more complex ones that require elaborate rituals or foci.
None of them have "oh I casted it, I can't cast it again"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:31:34 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 05:43:26 AM »

That seems excessively harsh.  Unlimited magic usually presages terrible storytelling -- you will have to see things like the idiot ball passed around just to get a story off the ground.  Or, ad hoc apocalyptic powers suddenly proliferating.  I'm looking at you Richard Cypher.   

Oh, I meant unrestricted access, not unrestricted power.