Author Topic: Brainstorming Thread for the Raistlin Handbook  (Read 5184 times)

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: Brainstorming Thread for the Raistlin Handbook
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
Found Vestigial Twin in DMG II I think, the LA +5 trait?  Added all that to the original post...Ironically it's looking like a psi-adapted Anima Mage with 4 levels of Incantatrix (via Magic Mantle) and Subverted Psion (assuming it can metapower like the TS can metamagic) might be the top of the food chain, here.  Persistent Unfettered Heroism gives nonstop access to the wonder that is Immediate Magic, only without the level restrictions or requirement of not being flat footed.  Will research this more...

Out of curiosity, I hear a lot of "convert psionic to arcane" around this forums.

So why not do it the other way around as wel? What about a regular wizard geting arcane versions of all the psionic tricks?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »
Found Vestigial Twin in DMG II I think, the LA +5 trait?  Added all that to the original post...Ironically it's looking like a psi-adapted Anima Mage with 4 levels of Incantatrix (via Magic Mantle) and Subverted Psion (assuming it can metapower like the TS can metamagic) might be the top of the food chain, here.  Persistent Unfettered Heroism gives nonstop access to the wonder that is Immediate Magic, only without the level restrictions or requirement of not being flat footed.  Will research this more...

Out of curiosity, I hear a lot of "convert psionic to arcane" around this forums.

So why not do it the other way around as wel? What about a regular wizard geting arcane versions of all the psionic tricks?

If only because an actual mechanic exists to turn spells into powers.  I am personally all for cross engineering powers and maneuvers as spells.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »
But you were also talking about converting feats and even whole Prcs. Specialy when one of the key features of oficial psionic prcs is none of them having full manifesting progression.

Actually that's more along the lines of complete transparency (actually transparency+, via Magic Mantle), not per se a straight conversion.  And that's not true either, the Anarchic Initiate, and both Saridorian PrCs are full progression.  And I'm sure I could find more.  Hell the Psionic adaptation to the Abjurant Champion is a full manifesting PrC, as is the Psi-Anima Mage.

Going back to the original idea, were there official or at least widely accepted arcane/divine versions of all these psionic powers, my archmagi builds wouldn't per se have a huge spike in power, as there are RAW ways of trickery to get all of them, but it would cut down on the amount of trickery inherent in the builds.  Perhaps a thread in Homebrew for this project and a link in the handbook, then?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »
Amulet of Second Chances allows to replay the past round, so might qualify here.

Handy Links

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19:41 AM »
Planar Shepherd's Planar Bubble for chosen plane time trait tricks. up to 10:1 IIRC
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
Planar Shepherd's Planar Bubble for chosen plane time trait tricks. up to 10:1 IIRC
Unless I am mistaken, it can get even more outrageous with other planes.

Handy Links

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:33 AM »
All you need is a plane where time actually manages to flow backwards?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
First question, I only ever saw Vestigial Twin I think as a LA +5 from DMG II.  Is that the one you were refering to, Prime?
Yep.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"