Author Topic: Critical Hits: A common thing?  (Read 7675 times)

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Critical Hits: A common thing?
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
This fits into the YBIYBI board because you'll have to convince your DM to let you use the original printing of Sword and Fist to let you acquire the Bladed Gauntlets that had a 17-20 critical range.

17-20 is already pretty good, what with the 20% chance and all. Improved Critical will bring this up to a 40% chance. Even better. Now, what if I told you that you can double that again? An 80% chance is ridiculous, but possible. All you need is the spell Hero's Blade, a level 9 spell from the ECS. It doubles your critical range, explicitly stacking with Improved Critical. 5-20 isn't too bad of a critical range, and the spell adds damage to boot. If your DM is even more of a lunatic, he might let you get a magical item with Hero's Blade as a constant/charged effect. Even without that, it's a fairly good Deathless spell with all the other bonuses it gives.

Throw in a few critical-activated abilities, maybe some kaorti resin, and hey presto you have a critical monkey.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Critical Hits: A common thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
Use a Deep Crystal Bladed Gauntlet with Disciple of Dispater and Psychic Weapon Master.  Yeah.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »
Iron Power only works with iron/steel weapons, so the Deep Crystal is a no-go. Also, the Psychic Weapon Master thing only works with crystal weapons.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:16:06 PM by Barbarossa »

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
Iron Power only works with iron/steel weapons, so the Deep Crystal is a no-go. Also, the Psychic Weapon Master thing only works with crystal weapons.

Iirc, there is a material type that counts as both crystal and metal. It may be Deep Crystal (I can't recall). Making it metalline then lets it count as any metal, iron included.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:44:38 AM »
Mundane Crystal (see XPH) possesses "the properties of a similar masterwork steel weapon or armor, except for visual appearance." Whether this qualifies is debatable, because you have to decide which is the more specific rule. Leaving fluff aside, it seems obvious to me that Iron Power's requirement is more specific and thus trumps the general steel-mimicking properties of mundane crystal; as far as I'm aware, no other material is closer in terms of mechanical description to real steel, not even Crysteel. So unless you accept that as working, I don't think you're going to find anything.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »
intent that mundane crystal counts as metal for interaction with class features. 

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
Mundane Crystal (see XPH) possesses "the properties of a similar masterwork steel weapon or armor, except for visual appearance." Whether this qualifies is debatable, because you have to decide which is the more specific rule. Leaving fluff aside, it seems obvious to me that Iron Power's requirement is more specific and thus trumps the general steel-mimicking properties of mundane crystal; as far as I'm aware, no other material is closer in terms of mechanical description to real steel, not even Crysteel. So unless you accept that as working, I don't think you're going to find anything.
I thought crysteel was mechanically steel with crystal in it?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
intent that mundane crystal counts as metal for interaction with class features. 

Metal, sure. Iron or steel, no.

Crysteel's fluff is as an alloy of iron and crystal (just pretend that makes sense for the moment), but it doesn't even have mundane crystal's "considered metal" or "properties of a similar steel" phrases.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
a speed bump that needs to be addressed:
Quote from: SRD
You need to make sure that roll of a 5 is still enough to hit for this to be of any use. I'm sure we can easily make that happen but it needs to be addressed.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »
Not really a speedbump. It just means that at some point any hit that hits is a threat; optimizing attack bonus is a whole other question, I think.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »
Iron Power ? what book

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Iron Power ? what book

It's a class feature of the Disciple of Dispater, from BoVD.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
a speed bump that needs to be addressed:
Quote from: SRD
You need to make sure that roll of a 5 is still enough to hit for this to be of any use. I'm sure we can easily make that happen but it needs to be addressed.

Of course you don't need to optimize attack bonus. You just need to make it an Aptitude Weapon and then get Lightning Maces. Everytime you threat a critical, you attack again. You'll get a lot of natural 20's if you're rolling 200 thousand dice...

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

Metal, sure. Iron or steel, no.

Crysteel's fluff is as an alloy of iron and crystal (just pretend that makes sense for the moment), but it doesn't even have mundane crystal's "considered metal" or "properties of a similar steel" phrases.

if aluminum can form a crystal why cant iron? just because it doesn't, whats that matter..

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:41 AM »
Because "crystal" is not the same thing as "a crystal", and the rules don't treat it as such.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 07:03:26 AM »
I personally prefer to do the same thing with a stump blade; it has a 19-20 threat range, which becomes 17-20 if you use it on someone you have attacked in melee as long as you are in melee with them. It hasn't been updated, so the DM can't argue (it may or may not be Dragon. Can't remember at the moment)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »
Might as well do some necro work here.

Stump knife can be found at least in Sword and Fist and Arms and Equipment Guide.  The possible interpretation issue might be a DM saying 19-20 is the base no matter what and so it doubling to 17-20 counts as a keen effect, meaning each doubling would be an extra two numbers and not four.

At 17-20 base I'm pretty sure there are builds that could get the full 1-20 crit range.  Better hope your DM doesn't use the fumble rules, else you're likely to crit yourself hard.  And since we're already going nuts, there's the obvious Aptitude Weapon+Lightning Mace+Blood in the Water combo.  Screw the line in Lightning Mace were it says "wield in each hand."  The knives ARE my hands!