Author Topic: Making opponents flat-footed (Iaijutsu Strike resource)  (Read 17807 times)

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
Making opponents flat-footed (Iaijutsu Strike resource)
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
I often see threads on Iaijutsu strike wherein someone asks for a list of the myriad ways of making an opponent flat-footed. I compiled this list on 339 a couple years ago for an Iaijutsu marrulurk build I had going at the time. I figured archiving it here would be a good way to get the list added to as well as making it an easy to find resource.

Please remember: Flat-footed is a different condition than Dex-denied. You are dex-denied when you are flat-footed.

Being denied your dex does NOT make you flat-footed. Sneak attack requires an opponent to be denied their dexterity bonus, or for the sneak-attacker to be flanking. 
Sudden-Strike requires an opponent to be denied their dexterity bonus. It does not work with flanking.
If your opponent is flat-footed, they are almost always denied their dexterity bonus. Uncanny Dodge is an exception, there may be others. Note that Uncanny Dodge does nothing against Iaijutsu Strike.

So, generally, if you can Iaijutsu Strike an opponent, you can Sudden Strike and/or Sneak Attack them.

So, here they are.

An opponent is flat-footed when they:

Have not yet acted in the initiative order during the first round of combat.

Are paralyzed.

Are balancingCannot see you.
FEATS

Flick of the Wrist (Feat, CW) - FF vs. one attack after drawing weapon 1/round and 1 per opponent/encounter.

GiantBane (Tactical Feat, CW) - Tumble through an opponents square as a free action, make immediate attack, opponent FF.

Gloom Razor (Tactical Feat, ToB) - Injure enemy, move 10', next turn enemy FF vs. first melee attack.

Confound the Big Folk (Tactical Feat, RotW) Move into space of creature at least two sizes larger than you, next round that creature is flat-footed vs your attacks.

Surprising Riposte (Feat, DotU) - Renders a foe Flat-Footed for one round after you successfully feint against him and hit him with a melee attack.

Mercurial Strike (Feat, Dragon Compendium) - Anytime an opponent provokes an AoO from you and you are unarmed, you may draw a weapon and take your AoO with it. Your opponent is Flat-footed against this attack.

SKILL TRICKS

Hidden Blade (Skill Trick, CS) - FF vs. one attack after drawing weapon, 1 use/encounter.

Sudden Draw (Skill Trick, CS) - FF vs. one AoO after drawing a weapon, 1 use/encounter.

Acrobatic Backstab (Skill Trick, CS) - Tumble through opponent's space, FF vs. next melee attack that turn.

SPELLS

Distract Assailant (SpC, Assassin 1) - FF until beginning of next turn.

MANUEVERS

Sapphire Nightmare Blade (Lv. 1 Maneuver) - Concentration vs. enemy ac, treat enemy FF for one melee attack.

Strike of the Broken Shield (Lv.4 Maneuver) -  enemy must make reflex save or be FF until next turn, +4d6.

Ghost Blade (Lv. 6 Maneuver) - Enemy is FF vs one melee attack (that's it, really. for a lv. 6 maneuver.)

Shadow Garrote (lv. 3 Maneuver) - Ranged touch, +5d6, enemy must make fort save or be FF until next turn.

Death From Above (Lv. 4 Maneuver) - Jump check vs enemy AC, +4d6, enemy treated as FF.

Feral Death Blow (Lv. 9 maneuver) - Jump check vs ac, enemy treated as FF, Fort save vs death or +20d6.

White Raven Strike (Lv. 4 Maneuver) - Enemy treated as FF until next turn, +4d6.

CLASS FEATURES

Cloaked Dancer - Suprise Strike (Class ability, CS) - While dancing, melee attack with light weapon, enemy is FF.

ITEMS

Umbral Awn (Legacy Weapon, ToB) - If unarmed, draw Umbral Awn as immediate action for an AoO, enemy treated as FF.

Blurstrike (Weapon enhancement) - ten times per day, activate to make opponent FF vs first attack that round (+2 equivalent).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:21:01 AM by BruceLeeroy »

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
Re: Making opponents flat-footed (Iaijutsu Strike resource)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »
Reserved just in case.

Xavier319

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »
dont forget the shadow striking enchantment form the Magic Item Compendium.  Couple thousand and once per day you can increase your melee reach by 5 feet and count your target as flat footed.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
Oh that's what I was missing.

Ebon Saint PrC in CPsi needs an array of Assassin spells to work right.
FF + 1 round death study + ranged + assume ES's attack works the same = functional.

I'm speaking in code to myself here ... hope I remember the secret code  ;)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »
I don't have anything to add but good job...
actually I have one thing.
Do you think its possible to use call weaponry to summon multiple katanas to trigger iaijustu focus?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm not sure on these ones, would be nice if you'd double check & add:

While climbing with ranks < 5

after a feint (gets nice with free action feinting of Coirsair or Invisible Blade)

With Motion Camouflage (1/opponent and 1/encounter, thrown or charge only) - Neraphim race ability @ Planar Handbook

while helpless (technically its paralyzed, too)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:23:22 AM by Tr011 »

BackHandOfFate

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:03:01 AM »
Death From Above only requires a Jump Check DC 20, not a DC equal to opponent's AC.  (Unless it was errated, which I highly doubt)  I am currently playing a Samurai who uses this maneuver.  Very nice.

Also, I'm pretty sure some of those things you listed only make the target lose their dex mod and don't render them Flat-footed, though I'll have to double check.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
Please make things easier to read.  For example, bold the ways to flat-foot someone.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
Hmmm... Feinting as a free action+Surprising Riposte=near constant flat-footedness on the opponent's part...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
You mention balancing, but now how to force balance checks.  Grease and Marbles are the traditional ways to do this.

JaronK

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:31 AM »
i was just researching this the other day, as a player of mine intends to use it....
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 02:43:24 AM »
Boobies.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
I like the resource, because despite its flaws, I love Sneak attack! The Distracting Attack variant of Ranger in PHBII on pg. 55 also grants FFedness.
Another way is the Mercurial Strike feat from Dragon Magazine Compendium, pg.102. Works for Iaijutsu Attacks of Opportunity.
The Gnome Quickblade might be noteworthy, Races of Stone pg. 154.

Also, JaronK mentioned that you mention balance, but not how to execute. Maybe a good idea would be to separate the different ways of making people Flat Footed into categories and then follow up with ways of using. Also, the bold is a good idea too. Finally, sources always help. I.E.:

While using Balance (skill), if less than 5 ranks:
 - Grease (spell, PHB pg. 237)
 - Etc.

EDIT: Also, I know this is meant for Iaijutsu, but considering the overlap, this would also be a good place for Sneak Attack. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:27:49 PM by emaNsdrawkcaB »

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
if for no other reason than for a compare and contrast in the relevant rules; it would be good to provide a brief overview of the conditions for sneak attacks, as well as sudden strike, to highlight the differences.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine