Author Topic: Level 20 Gestalt arena as an "optimization class"  (Read 1267 times)

Gribel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Level 20 Gestalt arena as an "optimization class"
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »
Hello there BGs!

I DM for a group of 4 other friends and proposed a level 20 gestalt arena for early August. What I want with that arena is to show them powerful options they are not familiar with and some optimization tricks.

I want to show them psionics, ToB initiators, binders, gishes, and factotums. I'm planing on showing each of those individually, so they don't get overwhelmed and understand the feel of each of those options. I also NEED to win, or else they'll just think those are weak options. They suck at character optimization (in our normal game one plays a combat oriented rogue, other plays a blaster wizard, other plays a knight and other plays a druid who cares about his strenght and dexterity scores), so that shouldn't be hard.

The optimization tricks I mentioned consist of stacking things to a single stat (Deepwarden + FotF + Steadfast Determination, for example) and getting the right kind of defenses (miss chance, immunities). Mostly IP proofing. If you think of any other trick, I'd be pleased to hear it.

Rules are still being discussed, but this is pretty much it. So far we agreed casters would be too powerful, so we limited spell and power levels to 6 or 7, still being discussed. That means that the Wizard class can be taken, for example, but they cease to get higher spell slots after level 12 or 14. That way, casters are viable but not really required to be competitive. All books are allowed, even campaign specifics. Regular terrain and a 28x10 arena. No level adjustment stuff or bloodlines. Two flaws allowed.

So far I haven't built anything for the arena, 'cause the rules weren't set. I'm planning on making one uber character who can take them all at once and not take a single scratch (for the lols), a psionic gish, an initiator. I can do those by myself, tough any tips are appreciated. What I would like help with is the binder and the factotum, or a combination of the two. I don't really know those two classes that well (tough I will, since I'm now on vacation), so I could use advice.

My ideas for the uber character are as follows (correct me if I'm wrong):
Water Orc Dragonborn with Hood-like feats (Leap Attack, Battle Jump, Shock Trooper, etc), Lion Totem Barbarian (Pounce), Stoneblessed (moar Constitution, Dwarf-like), Deepwarden 2 (Con to AC), Fist of the Forest (Con to AC), Runescarred Berserker (Antimagic Field) with VoP. So, immune to magic because of the Antimagic Field, still got "gear bonus" because of VoP instead of magic items, can fly with dragonborn wings, deal a crapton of damage, don't need saves or spell resistance (lol) because of the "magic immunity", enough AC that it actually matters {10 + [Con: 18 + 4 racial + 2 Stoneblessed + 5 tome + 5 level + 8 VoP + 6 Rage = 48 (+19)]x2 +  15 VoP - 2 Rage = 61}, negate other people's magic items. Forgot to mention, this is only half of the gestalt.

Any comments on this build? Thoughts on the others? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:21:21 AM by Gribel »

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Level 20 Gestalt arena as an "optimization class"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:24 PM »
My suggestions is Crusader 1/Sorcerer 12/Warblade 7//Cleric 5/Ruby Knight Vindicator 1/Bone Knight 8/Ruby Knight Vindicator 6

Move around the RKV and Crusader levels so you get the maneuvers and stance that you want. You should be able to pick up all 3 teleportation maneuvers as well as Aura of Perfect Order from RKV and Iron Heart Surge and some Diamond Mind defensive maneuvers from Warblade.

This gets you maxed Sorcerer and Cleric casting with a bunch of immunities and maneuvers. If you can take 7th level spells then swap 2 levels of crusader for sorcerer.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
You can also show off multi-pouncing :D

Kalashtar
Ardent 13 (Dominant Ideal)/Elocator 1/X 6
// 
Swordsage 7/Telflamar Shadowlord 5/Y 7
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Gribel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
Indeed Daniel, a Windicator is an excelent idea. I can act as a martial adept with buffs so it will look even better and will have spellcasting to fall back on in case something goes wrong. Thank you very much!

Rebel, that's an awesome dirty abuse, in a good way, ofc. I'd use it, but teaching my players to do so might be a little too much. I'll give it some thought, but really, thank you ;)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
If you really want to scare your players:

1. Take an inspire courage-optimized bard/warblade.

2. Give him a harpoon.

3. Put manyfanged onto the harpoon.

4. Watch your players have aneurisms.

5. ???

6. Profit!

[edit] Oh, and add in some bloodstorm blade later, to KILL EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:20:36 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
Caster level 12 is enough to get 3 size category increases out of greater mighty whallop.  With strongarm bracers you can wield a large warmace, which would effectively be colossal, dealing 8d6 base damage.  Throw on some war mind and you can manifest vampiric blade and heal half of that 8d6 every hit.  You can even use two of these weapons if you want.