Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer 26: Still better than CustServ  (Read 185945 times)

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Q182:
Is there a neat way to get Heal and/or Use Magic Device as class skills for a Dread Necromancer/Pale Master?
Tangentially related: What would be a good face item to refluff into a plague doctor's mask?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Q182:
Is there a neat way to get Heal and/or Use Magic Device as class skills for a Dread Necromancer/Pale Master?

From here:
[spoiler]
[...]

o Any

Aereni Focus - Player's Guide to Eberron (p.20)
Skill knowledge - UA (for use with UA Variant skill system) *check with your DM*

[...]

o Healo Use Magic Device

Apprentice (spellcaster) - DMG II (also a knowledge)

[...]
[/spoiler]

There's always the possibility, if you are human, of dipping one level into a class that gets the skill(s) and taking Able Learner (Races of Destiny) at 1st level, but that's kind of less practical depending on the build.

Tangentially related: What would be a good face item to refluff into a plague doctor's mask?

Maybe something from Bunko? I've got no idea of the top of my head.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
There's an alchemical face mask that works against airborne gases and pathogens, and if it's airborne, the necklace of adaptation should work as well.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

behaigo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Q183:

Are there any ways of getting more inspiration points other than more Factotum levels and the Font of Inspiration feat?
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

This is the best name generator ever!

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
What would be a good face item to refluff into a plague doctor's mask?

If cost is no object, white skull mask (Magic of Faerun 167).  It gives a +4 morale bonus on saves against disease, fear, and paralysis, gives immunity to energy drain, and let's you immediately recognize everyone as alive, dead, undead, or other.  Unfortunately, it's 50,000 gp. 

Whatever you go with, have it built partially of targath (Eberron Campaign Setting 127).  The +2 resistance bonus on saves against disease will overlap with the cloak or vest of resistance you will probably wear, but it only costs 3 gp for enough targath to give the bonus. 

Sewer mask (Cityscape web enhancement). 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q183:

Are there any ways of getting more inspiration points other than more Factotum levels and the Font of Inspiration feat?
A183: Technically the legacy champion, but only if it's boosting factotum (and since it only boosts factotum 7/10 levels, factotum is better for this). Assuming it's allowed, FoI is the best way to go, especially if you get extra feats and invest in some DCFS shenanigans.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Q184:  I'm aware of Crypt Spawn & Spectral Mage (both from Magic of Faerun).  Any other templates that can turn [Outsider] -> [Undead]?

Edit:  They need to have a playable LA entry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:47:21 PM by Ithamar »
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

weenog

• Grape ape
Q184:  I'm aware of Crypt Spawn & Spectral Mage (both from Magic of Faerun).  Any other templates that can turn [Outsider] -> [Undead]?

Gravetouched Ghoul, sort of.  The template applies to "any corporeal aberration, fey, giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid with Intelligence and Charisma scores of 3 or higher" but it's explicitly mentioned elsewhere in the same book that the demigod Doresain has the power to add the gravetouched ghoul template to creatures to which the template is normally not applicable (for example, he sends gravetouched ghoul succubus demons, gravetouched ghoul erinyes devils, and gravetouched ghoul ice devils as his planar allies).

If you can convince him to help you out, you should be good to go.

LA is +2 and it's not a bad template if you're not a spellcaster that abhors all LA as a matter of principle.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Psianimate Dead really isn't template-based, but it can affect the corpse of ANY corporeal creature, whether the creature was living or not, and type doesn't matter one whit.

Hell, it can even animate previously-destroyed undead. And golems.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Well psionics is out, but I'll have to check our Doresain.  Thanks!
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Q184  How would being undead affect a dragonfire adept's breath weapon, given that it's reflex DC is based on Constitution.  Judging by the fact that a dracolich's breath weapon switches to Charisma, I really wasn't sure.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Q 185:
Quote from: d20srd.org, on Reading the Monster Entries

Quote from: Savage Species,pg 215
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/articles/awakened.zip

[/spoiler]

An Anthropomorphic Octopus gets: STR +4 DEX +4 CON(From Size Change WTF?)  INT(Says it goes to 11.) WIS +4 and CHA-4. (Was +2 STR and +6 DEX, but since it grows from Small to Medium, it gains +2 STR and -2 DEX)

An Anthromorphic Giant Octopus gets: STR +8 DEX +6 CON(From Size Change WTF?) INT(Says it goes to 11.) WIS +4 CHA -4. (Was +10 STR and +4 DEX, but since it shrinks from Large to Medium, it gains +2 DEX and -2 STR)

Furthermore, the template instructions say that if the base creature was Small, then it only gains 1 HD, and that it LOSES that HD if it gains Class Levels. (In effect, making it so that it has no Hit Die on character creation). And that if the base creature was Large, then it has 3 HD, which it DOESN'T lose on character creation.

So, the table is horribly, horribly wrong on both counts. I want to play an Anthropomorphic Octopus (To have 6 arms and get Multiattack/Rapidstrike, etc....).

Judging by the Ability Modifiers, i'd wager the LA on Octopus/Giant Octopus is mixed. IE: Giant Octopus +1 LA, Octopus +0.

So(Finally), my question is, am i right? Am i wrong? Did the Octopus/Giant Octopus changed much from 3.0 MM to 3.5 MM? It's all very frustrating, because the ONLY place that lists LA for the Anthropomorphic Animals is that table, and the table is contradicting the rules set in the template!

And what in the name of Gygax is this about CON from size? Size doesn't changes CON!

HEALP!

weenog

• Grape ape
I think you're running into the problem of trying to apply reason and common sense to avoid an absurd result (little octopus being more of a brute than big octopus), when you're relying on the RAW to deliberately provide an absurd result (octopus man so you can get a bunch of extra attacks in).  This tends not to lead anywhere good.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Q184  How would being undead affect a dragonfire adept's breath weapon, given that it's reflex DC is based on Constitution.  Judging by the fact that a dracolich's breath weapon switches to Charisma, I really wasn't sure.

Draconomicon seems to have mixed opinions. Zombie Dragon retains it's breath weapon, but it deals half damage. Skeletal Dragon loses it althogether. Vampiric Dragon retains it's Breath Weapon, and under special attacks, say they use 10+1/2HD+CHA "Unless noted otherwise".

Given the general trend of the undead dragons in Draconomicon, i'd say intelligent undead retain their breath weapon at full strenght (and base DC off CHA), and mindless dragons either use their breath weapon at half-force, or don't use them at all. Skeletal Dragon can't use their breath weapon because it doesn't have any organs to breathe with, and Zombie Dragon has damaged organs(so their breath is weaker.)

But i'd say, check with your DM. RAW doesn't agree, but RAI it seems to follow that general trend.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q 186 Other than four levels of Fighter, and Pious Templar 3, what ways are there to gain the feat Weapon Specialization?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Q184  How would being undead affect a dragonfire adept's breath weapon, given that it's reflex DC is based on Constitution.  Judging by the fact that a dracolich's breath weapon switches to Charisma, I really wasn't sure.
special attacks that were previously CON-based do indeed switch to CHA-based when you become undead (provided, of course, you actually get to keep them -- which depends on which specific undead you're going for).
I think it's referenced somewhere in the MM glossary.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I think you're running into the problem of trying to apply reason and common sense to avoid an absurd result (little octopus being more of a brute than big octopus), when you're relying on the RAW to deliberately provide an absurd result (octopus man so you can get a bunch of extra attacks in).  This tends not to lead anywhere good.

The thing is, i'm planning this as a Min/Maxxing exercise for a build i'm planning, and i need it to work by RAW. But RAW doesn't agree. The table says one thing, the instructions for the template say another thing. They conflict with each other, and it SEEMS that the LA on the two was mixed up. General consensus seems to be that text trumps table, so at least the HD/Abilities part is golden. But the LA part is not. Text is also not very clear on what INT and CON becomes. (It says that INT becomes 11, if we assume that's to calculate as if on the stat block, then INT ability bonus is +0, if not, then it's saying "don't even bother putting points here, it's always 11"). CON is even more of an issue. It says CON based on size increase/decrease. But CON doesn't modifies with size. And the table gives different values for the different octopuses. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Q 186 Other than four levels of Fighter, and Pious Templar 3, what ways are there to gain the feat Weapon Specialization?

You might want to check: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff

They have all sorts of nifty ways to gain basically everything there. There's also a version of that list right here on the Min/Maxing boards, on the stickied post "Handy Links to CO Work" or something like that.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

You might want to check: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff

They have all sorts of nifty ways to gain basically everything there. There's also a version of that list right here on the Min/Maxing boards, on the stickied post "Handy Links to CO Work" or something like that.
The only other two they mentioned were Divine Crusader 5, and Favored Soul 3.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur

The only other two they mentioned were Divine Crusader 5, and Favored Soul 3.

Variant Monk from Dragon 310, gets Fighter Bonus feats at 1, 2 and 6. Need not meet the pre-requisites. So, splash 2 levels of monk and have fun selecting 2 epic fighter feats...