Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer 26: Still better than CustServ  (Read 185927 times)

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Q 117: Is there a difference in the space that large (tall) and large (long) creatures fill out?

In my group I have often seen long creatures taking 2x1 spaces, and tall creatures taking the normal 2x2 spaces.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Q 117: Is there a difference in the space that large (tall) and large (long) creatures fill out?

In my group I have often seen long creatures taking 2x1 spaces, and tall creatures taking the normal 2x2 spaces.
Tall and long are 3.0 mechanics.  Look at the space/reach entry to get the space the creature takes up and it's natural reach.  If it's a 3.0 source, then look for an update.

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Q118: Are there any other PrC that give Circle Leader or something similar beside Hathran and Red Wizard? Are there ways to obtain it other than prestige classes?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
You can still use the bow if your strength is too low.  You just take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.
Looking to get around that.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

weenog

• Grape ape
You can still use the bow if your strength is too low.  You just take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

Pick up a bone bow from Frostburn.  You're going to need to spend an exotic weapon proficiency on it if you don't want it to take a full-round action to fire it.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

Pick up a bone bow from Frostburn.  You're going to need to spend an exotic weapon proficiency on it if you don't want it to take a full-round action to fire it.
That's quite nice, actually. In theory, if you made that elvencraft, which makes it a quarterstaff weapon, would you able to choose between bludgeoning and piercing damage since it's got spiked ends?

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
A118 Halruann Elder from Shining South.

weenog

• Grape ape

That's quite nice, actually. In theory, if you made that elvencraft, which makes it a quarterstaff weapon, would you able to choose between bludgeoning and piercing damage since it's got spiked ends?

Only if you can convince your DM to let you use it as an improvised weapon.  The bow isn't a melee weapon, and a quarterstaff isn't a piercing weapon.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

Only if you can convince your DM to let you use it as an improvised weapon.  The bow isn't a melee weapon, and a quarterstaff isn't a piercing weapon.
Elvencraft makes the longbow into a quarterstaff, and a bone bow has spiked ends.

weenog

• Grape ape
You can still use the bow if your strength is too low.  You just take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

Pick up a bone bow from Frostburn.  You're going to need to spend an exotic weapon proficiency on it if you don't want it to take a full-round action to fire it.

Only if you can convince your DM to let you use it as an improvised weapon.  The bow isn't a melee weapon, and a quarterstaff isn't a piercing weapon.
Elvencraft makes the longbow into a quarterstaff, and a bone bow has spiked ends.

And having spiked ends doesn't help at all.  A quarterstaff is not a piercing weapon.  Menacing-sounding fluff doesn't change the mechanics.  You might be able to use it as an improvised heavy thing with points on it, but you'll be suffering the nonproficiency issues and probably not getting any magic boosts from using it in that way.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

And having spiked ends doesn't help at all.  A quarterstaff is not a piercing weapon.  Menacing-sounding fluff doesn't change the mechanics.
It stabs deep into the ground and ceiling so you can pull back on it to fire. I'll allow it. Much like my DM allowed my quarterstaff to count as silver when I got a Corellon bow and made it elvencraft.

weenog

• Grape ape
I would also allow it.  House rulings that I find reasonable don't change the global rules of the game.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I would also allow it.  House rulings that I find reasonable don't change the global rules of the game.
True, but most of the global rules for the game are pretty much for the birds. Especially when the people who made the game don't even know what's going on.

weenog

• Grape ape
Q119:  What is the point of asking what you can do when you're just planning to ignore it if you don't get an answer you like anyway?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q119:  What is the point of asking what you can do when you're just planning to ignore it if you don't get an answer you like anyway?
Not planning on ignoring anything. You listen to everyone's answer, and take from it what you will.

Q 120 There was a suggestion in an earlier question thread about what crystal would be best to give a soulknife to enhance their abilities. What crystal would that be?
Found it. Deep Crystal.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:49:06 PM by kevin_video »

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Q118: Are there any other PrC that give Circle Leader or something similar beside Hathran and Red Wizard? Are there ways to obtain it other than prestige classes?

A:118 Circle Magic feat from Ghostwalk campaign options, pg 28
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Question 114

So looking at a comparative analysis between the DMG's section on urban buildings and the Stronghold Builder's Guide a question pops up. An ordinary house is listed to have 1-3 rooms in it (with noble houses & mansions having more) would it be unreasonable to assume a room might qualify as a space, and thus we might look at blending the DMG with the SBG?

Basically can I use the options in the SBG when qualifying what the rooms are in homes/buildings?
To what end?  Stronghold Spaces are an abstract concept.  1 SS is not strictly 1 room, and is not necessarily bound by dimension, either.

It was my hope to be able to use those ideas concerning the spaces as a loose blue-print to describing rooms in homes. The harsh factor is that if you were to use the SBG and build an equal approximation of a small home (DMG) the price would be considerably higher (for exactly the same thing) so I am trying to remedy that.

We know a space is about 400 square feet (20 ft by 20 ft by 10 ft) and they have a defined price by themselves. Could one simply sub in a basic bedroom ($700 gp) to a home's room? Or better yet could we take the $1000 gp of a basic home via the DMG & play around with what spaces, according to their prices, could fit in there economically?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Q121
What is an effective arcane spell of 3rd level or lower for restraining a 6th level character with Fort as the lowest save? I need the character unable to move or attack (including spellcasting), but if mental actions would allow escape from whatever it is (such as grappling), they also need to be disabled. It needs to last at least 2 rounds, but any longer would just be gravy.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Q121
What is an effective arcane spell of 3rd level or lower for restraining a 6th level character with Fort as the lowest save? I need the character unable to move or attack (including spellcasting), but if mental actions would allow escape from whatever it is (such as grappling), they also need to be disabled. It needs to last at least 2 rounds, but any longer would just be gravy.

Ghoul Touch would take care of anything but mental. Combine with nausea (Stinking Cloud or whatnot) to negate all but move actions?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Question 114

So looking at a comparative analysis between the DMG's section on urban buildings and the Stronghold Builder's Guide a question pops up. An ordinary house is listed to have 1-3 rooms in it (with noble houses & mansions having more) would it be unreasonable to assume a room might qualify as a space, and thus we might look at blending the DMG with the SBG?

Basically can I use the options in the SBG when qualifying what the rooms are in homes/buildings?
To what end?  Stronghold Spaces are an abstract concept.  1 SS is not strictly 1 room, and is not necessarily bound by dimension, either.

It was my hope to be able to use those ideas concerning the spaces as a loose blue-print to describing rooms in homes. The harsh factor is that if you were to use the SBG and build an equal approximation of a small home (DMG) the price would be considerably higher (for exactly the same thing) so I am trying to remedy that.

We know a space is about 400 square feet (20 ft by 20 ft by 10 ft) and they have a defined price by themselves. Could one simply sub in a basic bedroom ($700 gp) to a home's room? Or better yet could we take the $1000 gp of a basic home via the DMG & play around with what spaces, according to their prices, could fit in there economically?
I would guess that if you wanted to do this, then each house could probably be a basic bedroom suite with an ad-hoc half common area