Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer 26: Still better than CustServ  (Read 186406 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q103: what exactly is considered precision-based damage?
A 103: Sneak attack, sudden strike, skirmish. Basically, extra dice that only apply under specific conditions.
i thought so. is that in the PHB somewhere?

I'm pretty sure the term has never been defined in the rules.  I typically figure that damage that doesn't apply to creatures immune to critical hits is precision damage.  For example, a swashbuckler's insightful strike. 
Does Fav Enemy damage count?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

heroicraptor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
A 103: Sneak attack, sudden strike, skirmish. Basically, extra dice that only apply under specific conditions.

I'm pretty sure the term has never been defined in the rules.  I typically figure that damage that doesn't apply to creatures immune to critical hits is precision damage.  For example, a swashbuckler's insightful strike. 

Page 42 of the Rules Compendium.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
q105  Is there a way to gain evasion other than through class levels or using the shadow creature template from LoM?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
q105  Is there a way to gain evasion other than through class levels or using the shadow creature template from LoM?
A105: There's a ring of evasion.  20k I think.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
bump

A96 Wounding adaptive kukris with the lightning maces feat.
There's a lightning maces feat?

Q 99 In a [Pathfinder] armory book, you can have your character smoke cigarettes. They have a save against becoming addicted. However, my question comes from the secondary part of it. If you smoke too many cigs, you eventually take permanent Con damage over time. Basically it ages you because cigarettes "take years off of your life." How would you actually work that? I ask because of the characters is a chain smoking half-elf ranger.

Q 106 removed

Q 107 When it says SLA 3/day and lists one to three spells afterwards, is that 3/day each or 3/day total?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:50:30 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
A 107: It would be 3/day for every spell. Just like in the MM entries.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
Q92: How does the Multitasking feat from Savage Species translate into 3.5?
Bump.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer

That got changed from 3.0.  Now Favored Enemy damage is just extra damage whenever you attack a Favored Enemy and is no longer precision damage.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
A105 Two feats will grant you uncanny dodge and evasion. Shape soulmeld: Impulse boots, then open least chakra: feet.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Q108: Is this correct? Would the stacking rules apply to that ability, and thus enable an easier Ubercharger?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

sud

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Q 109 Strength of My Enemy (again): "One of your natural or manufactured weapons... deals 1 pt of Strength damage on each successful hit."

Is that "instead of" normal HP damage, or in addition to?  You could read this as replacing normal damage rather than augmenting.

thanks!

weenog

• Grape ape
You could read this as replacing normal damage rather than augmenting.

No you couldn't. Things do what they do unless they explicitly don't.  Strength of My Enemy says it makes the weapon deal Str damage.  It doesn't say the weapon stops doing what it does.  The weapon keeps doing what it does, and does the Str damage.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:42:33 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Q110  Has anyone gone through the work to provide the stats for anthropomorphic animals beyond the ones from MM show in Savage Species?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Q92: How does the Multitasking feat from Savage Species translate into 3.5?
Bump.
It doesn't, partial actions don't exist in 3.5 and it was never updated officially.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing

That got changed from 3.0.  Now Favored Enemy damage is just extra damage whenever you attack a Favored Enemy and is no longer precision damage.
Which resulted in a ton of jokes about rangers dealing 'racism damage' instead.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Question 111

How useful, at the low-levels (1-5), is pounce? I ask because I am re-flavoring the barbarian into another class & was trying to decide between trading out the fast movement for pounce (from Complete Champion) or for Roof Walker (from Cityscape)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
A111 If you have more than one attack (TWF and/or natural weapons), then it helps you land some more attacks, instead of a single attack...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Question 111

How useful, at the low-levels (1-5), is pounce? I ask because I am re-flavoring the barbarian into another class & was trying to decide between trading out the fast movement for pounce (from Complete Champion) or for Roof Walker (from Cityscape)
A111: Extremely useful, but only under certain circumstances. If you're of a race with at least one natural weapon, or have TWF, or can somehow gain additional attacks somehow else (such as with soulmelds), then it's extremely useful.

But generally the usefulness comes it at 6+.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Q112: What is the process in getting someone banned on this forum?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Q112: What is the process in getting someone banned on this forum?

Don't know if there is a simple answer to that one.