Author Topic: Tips/Guides for Improving Charge and Charge Damage?  (Read 1615 times)

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Tips/Guides for Improving Charge and Charge Damage?
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »
Dear all,

I am returning to work on an old handbook, and am wondering if any of you would be so kind as to link me to any information that deals with Charging builds/tricks/tips.  I'm trying to include a sample build for creating a Persistent Chameleon that utilizes the powerful charging spells available to them.

Thanks,
Bill

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Tips/Guides for Improving Charge and Charge Damage?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11801.msg417846#msg417846

Granted, it's psionic, and a factotum can't pull the 'grab a higher manifester/caster level to access higher level effects' like a psi character can, but you might find some interesting things there.

Such as using the Wild Cohort feat, mount feat retraining, and additional templates (warbeast in particular) to grab yourself a level-appropriate mount with cool abilities.

Remember, even animals qualify for feats such as Shape Soulmeld, Martial Study, and Martial Stance. Nabbing a 20% miss chance for the cost of a feat (with a potentially really nice feat as a prereq) or the ability to go ethereal while moving can really come in handy.

Also, due to the wording on the feat, about any source of damage will be multiplied on a Spirited Charge (as it's a flat x3 damage, and isn't considered precision or critical hit damage). It's a really good reason to stack things like multiple weapon crystals onto a single item (especially least and lesser energy crystals, since they're CHEAP), and to find ways to make use of small damaging effects that really add up when you multiply them heavily.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 01:28:18 AM »
Valorous weapon enchantment from Unapproachable East. +1 bonus to deal double damage on any charge attacks. My go-to enchantment for melee types when the power is high.

Also Hood.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:29:25 AM »
Valorous Lances, Spirited Charge Feat, Lion Totem Barbarians, Leap Attack Feat, Headlong Rush Feat, Riding Boots (MiC)... some combination of those ought to do it.

JaronK

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
Valorous weapon enchantment from Unapproachable East. +1 bonus to deal double damage on any charge attacks. My go-to enchantment for melee types when the power is high.
Agreed, even if you aren't a focused charger this enchantment is outright astonishing.

Handy Links

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »
Use the bathroom, including #2
make sure you are not drinking anything
make sure you are seated

search my build compendium
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:12:13 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r