Author Topic: Shadowlord  (Read 6729 times)

Valen0121

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Shadowlord
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »
Campaign update. I'm currently playing human, level 5 rogue with +2 level adjustment for being a afflicated  wererat (bad luck in making my saving throws). Im looking to finish out the last 13 levels, any suggestions. Im still limited to core books, all forgotten realms books, and feats from other wotc books per DM approval. The DM is allowing the jaunter prestige class. Trying to work in assassin, shadowlord, jaunter, 2 levels of fighter, 2 levels of ranger and squeeze in 1 level of shadowdancer, not neccesarily all of these classes
The feats that i have so far are Alertness, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Wil, Mobility, Quick Reconnoiter, and Weapon Finesse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Valen

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
If memory serves, Iron Will is a bonus from the Lycan template?

What about the RHD from the rat?

Honestly, being an afflicted wererat isn't a terrible template.  Stay in Hybrid form when you're in a dungeon, so you get the natural armor and dex bonuses.  Forget Assassin, but try and get Jaunter, which will also benefit from your +6 Dex.  If you need a teleportation ability, then there's Least Dragonmark of Passage that should meet the requirement, IIRC.

If at all possible, re-train Alertness and Quick Reconnoiter.  Aim for the feats Spring Attack (6), Elusive Target (9), and Bounding Assault (15?).  Also grab Craven and Darkstalker.

EDIT: Nevermind, that would be good if you weren't doing a Shadowpouncer.  Instead of Spring Attack and Bounding Assault, grab TWF and Improved Buckler Defense.  You might be able to get a decent AC in Hybrid form with that template.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:01:39 PM by X-Codes »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
With your limitations on books, X-Codes is right:
Get to Horizon Walker 6, select Planar Terrain Mastery(Shifting) for dimension door SLA, usable once every 1d4 rounds

LA buyoff allowed?
If not, I'd stay away from Skulk, there are better choices in FR(even if you get rid of the LA, there are those 2, mostly useless, humanoid hitdice...).
I wanted to chime in and +1 this. Horizon walker, adn frankly maybe find something with no level adjustment.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Valen0121

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 02:17:42 AM »
After my rogue failed a search check for traps and then failed his saving throw, I get start a new character. What are the odds of rolling two 1s in a row. New character will still be a rogue, working his way to telflammar shadowlord (looking for multiple shadow pounce).
82  points to divide between my stats, level 8, and race-human. Still retricted to core 3.5, all FR Books, and feats from other wotc books per DM approval. He is lso allowing the Jaunter prestige class from Expedition tio the Demonweb Pits..

Thanks,
Valen

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »
Is there the possibility of using Incarnum? Blink Shirt should meet the requirements for teleporting for Shadowlord, and they get multiple natural weapons, which plays nicely with shadowpouncing. What's better, their teleporting is at will.

Valen0121

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 05:35:48 AM »
Which book has Incarnum?

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »
Magic of Incarnum.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
What are the odds of rolling two 1s in a row.
1 in 400.  Considering how many D&D games there are going on at a given time, it's actually not that rare.

Ask your DM if he'll allow some Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel.  Some of them will let you re-roll specific skill checks like Search or Disable Device.  It should reduce the odds of something like this happening again from 1 in 400 to 1 in 8,000 or 1 in 160,000, depending on your investment.

In fact, I think that should be a house rule.  If you die from rolling 2 1's in a row, your next character starts with a bonus Luck feat.

Valen0121

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
The DM said no to Magic of Incarnum and the Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel.. :(

Valen

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
Well, same kinda character should have the same kinda build.

Valen0121

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
This time I don't have to worry about being a wererat.

Valen

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 02:03:22 AM »
ya, but you do have to worry about all that rogue..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Amoren

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
A fun little build I've been planning for a while.  It might not be min-maxed, but its probably true to the Shadowlord and Assassin concept.  This also requires the shadow-walker template to get into Shadowlord at 8, but you can wait until level 13 when Assassin spellcasting gets you dimension door.

Rogue 1/Fighter 1 (Hit and Run Fighter if you can manage it!), Rogue 2-3/Fighter 2/Assassin 2/Teflammar Shadowlord 6/Assassin 3-9

Take Two-Weapon Fighting and Dodge/Blind-Fight at level 1, Weapon Finesse at level 2 with your fighter bonus feat, dodge/blind fight at level 3 (the one you didn't get), mobility at level 5 from fighter bonus feat, and spring attack at six.  Pick up craven, imp. two weapon fighting or other feats you enjoy at higher levels.

You have 7d6 sneak attack, and have a base Death Attack DC of 25.  Assuming an Int of 16, +6 Int item, that'll be 31.  Add in Bracers of Murder (Drow of the Underdark, +2 attack/damage against flat footed targets, +2 Death Attack DC, reroll 1s on Sneak Attack die), and an Assassin's Dagger sleeve blade (complete scoundrel hidden weapon), gives you a Death Attack DC of 34.  You can boost it higher with a better intelligence, inherent bonus to intelligence for another two, or ability focus.

So, teleporting in behind someone and initiating a full attack you'll do 7d6+20 Sneak Attack Damage, +2 to hit and damage (they should be flat footed), and dex to damage from them being flat footed.  Assuming a dex of 34 (18 start, +5 level, +5 inherent, +6 item), that'll be 8d6+29 plus your enhancement bonus on your weapon and other modifiers per hit.

Like I said, probably not the most optimized of Shadowlord builds, but its very rogueish!