Author Topic: Maneuvers instead of Spells  (Read 1115 times)

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
Maneuvers instead of Spells
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
I've been working on a hexblade rewrite that grants maneuvers instead of spells with the crusader's mechanic (and some homebrew disciplines I came across). And I've seen ranger rewrites do the same. Over at EN, I found a thread where some one was contemplating granting warblade progression and recovery with Devoted Spirit, Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, and Desert Wind to a shapeshift druid.

How do these changes affect the games in terms of balance? Obviously the Druid isn't king of the hill anymore, but would this move the hexblade and ranger up to tier 3? Would you see other casters changed to initiators, not necessarily the wizard but the blackguard or assassin? Or does this change only really benefit (or just fit) a handful of classes?

Otto the Bugbear

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Maneuvers instead of Spells
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
For the partial casters -- paladin, ranger, hexblade, et. al. -- it looks like a perfect fit. Just take spells away and give them maneuvers instead. There will be a few spells the classes will miss out on, but I wouldn't worry about that.

You could probably even do the same thing when PrCs grant 3rd or 4th level spells over 10 class levels. The number of maneuvers/stances gained would probably be pretty small, but due to the way a maneuver's maximum level known is calculated this would bring a lot more viable PrCs to the game. (Depending upon power level of the game in question, of course.)