Author Topic: The Lord of All Magic  (Read 13905 times)

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: The Lord of All Magic
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:17 PM »
maybe a single level of Shadow Adept, or Shadow Weave Magic and Insidious Spell... can give a HUGE benefit with the Invisible Spell feat... much harder to counter spells, when you don't know whats happening
Won't cut it, Boccob auto-detect spells cast within a ridiculous radius, and invisible spells is still the average invisibility that any true seeing creature can deal with ease.

but with Insidious Spell, you have to make a caster level check equal to (11 + your caster level) which could be in the range of DC 80-100, which would be hard for a not-optimized deity to break.

you can only make one check, despite however many spells you are using, if you fail, NONE of your spells can ever detect an Invisible Insidious Spell

His detection is portfolio sense, not a spell.

Epic mythal, ftw?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »
maybe a single level of Shadow Adept, or Shadow Weave Magic and Insidious Spell... can give a HUGE benefit with the Invisible Spell feat... much harder to counter spells, when you don't know whats happening
Won't cut it, Boccob auto-detect spells cast within a ridiculous radius, and invisible spells is still the average invisibility that any true seeing creature can deal with ease.

but with Insidious Spell, you have to make a caster level check equal to (11 + your caster level) which could be in the range of DC 80-100, which would be hard for a not-optimized deity to break.

you can only make one check, despite however many spells you are using, if you fail, NONE of your spells can ever detect an Invisible Insidious Spell

Epic mythal, ftw?

At that point, who cares what he knows about your casting :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 12:32:11 AM »

Arcane or any?

Brackenlord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »

Arcane or any?

Getting the needed spells as innate Sp and then using Supernatural Transformation, or using Dweomerkeeper seems like the easier way of avoid any dispelling attempt or SR. (That was the issue? I kinda got lost in the topic, I'll reread it to see wich direction it took.)

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 02:43:20 AM »

Arcane or any?

Any.  One of the potential godslayers I had thought up was a pure psionic type, just to avoid the portfolio sense.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »

Arcane or any?

Any.  One of the potential godslayers I had thought up was a pure psionic type, just to avoid the portfolio sense.

*nods* ok

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:12 AM »
Again, when it's a CL/MLof 4-5 digits hitting him in the dick, who cares if he sees it coming.  It's like Rock Lee vs Naruto...he can read the move, he just can't do anything about it but take it on the chin :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
Again, when it's a CL/MLof 4-5 digits hitting him in the dick, who cares if he sees it coming.  It's like Rock Lee vs Naruto...he can read the move, he just can't do anything about it but take it on the chin :P

To be fair, I think you're talking about Rock Lee vs. Sasuke.  :P

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »

To be fair, I think you're talking about Rock Lee vs. Sasuke.  :P

Ok, anyone vs Gaara until Rock started releasing chakra gates and even scared Batma- I mean Kakashi.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
"I'm the god of magic, bitch.  From now on, caster levels use THAC0 to calculate power when they're over twenty.  Suck it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
"I'm the god of magic, bitch.  From now on, caster levels use THAC0 to calculate power when they're over twenty.  Suck it.

"My power is drawn from a plane you have no influence over, bitch.  Enjoy your 2nd Ed 2 digit hit points!"
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Suddenly realized that the Spellthief ACF puts it over my limit on Dragon magazines.   :banghead

It's not too much to worry about, as the extra five levels of the build (plus the other side of the gestalt) means that there's plenty of room to make up for it.

Speaking of the other side of the gestalt, while the Illithid Savant build would probably be far more powerful overall, I'm probably going to build it towards an Advanced Sharn, as that one gets mega bonuses to its caster level, has insane base stats (to the tune of 44-64), and can pretty easily gain supernatural psionics, arcane spells, and divine spells.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:32 AM »
Planar Binding on a Half-Fiend Sharn..... then eat its brains *grins*

i'd only do 5 Illithid Savant.... just barely enough to get the racial abilities

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 02:13:26 AM »
Planar Binding on a Half-Fiend Sharn..... then eat its brains *grins*

i'd only do 5 Illithid Savant.... just barely enough to get the racial abilities

Well, as Khell put it, Illithid Savant is just too... easy.  Besides, I've already dominated Moradin in a similar game utilizing the Savant - and I wouldn't put it past my DM to look at the character sheet and simply say, "Okay, you win."  I'd like the chance to actually play the thing.  DM usually doesn't care so much about CL/ML, so I doubt he'd do it with the Sharn build. (Even though the Sharn build will probably *very* easily hit 5 digit CL/MLs)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2011, 02:52:53 AM »
Agreed

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »
...I think my DM is mocking me.  He just unlimited the number of Dragon magazines I can use and raised the level to 33.

I still haven't shown him the CL/ML... I'm going to ask him for an epic progression of Mind Mage.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »
...I think my DM is mocking me.  He just unlimited the number of Dragon magazines I can use and raised the level to 33.

I still haven't shown him the CL/ML... I'm going to ask him for an epic progression of Mind Mage.

I don't think he's realized yet that a simple non-mortal Hood can one shot Boccob in far less than 20 levels on this board...:P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »
Same.  However, there's no kill like overkill, and he's the type who gets giggly when I tell him that something can be done (even if I don't tell him exactly how).

He's quite fond of two types of enemies: runners that are hard to beat anyway, and bruisers that are supposed to be way over CR.  I highly expect to be playing hide and go seek while Boccob uses every avatar, wizard, cleric, and druid in the world to try to kill me.

Should be great.  :smirk

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 12:56:29 AM »
Use Maw of Chaos when you get triple digit CL ;)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »
Use Maw of Chaos when you get triple digit CL ;)

Chain LCB the entire world into desolation, followed by Boccob's own plane.  Continue until he shows up, inevitably on cue with your CoP (other outsiders ftw) that he will have known about, no less, and worse case scenario, he kills your astral projection, since you are actually safe and sound in your closed demiplane not even he can enter.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!