Author Topic: How Do You Listen?  (Read 11457 times)

Halloween

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Last Minute Studio
    • Email
Re: How Do You Listen?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »
I listen to your podcast in the mornings at Starbucks, usually around 8:15 or so. They are a fun way to start the day, and drown out the incredably weird music my local Starbucks plays.

I actually did have some difficulty finding your podcasts. I grab all my feeds through iTunes, and you're not listed. The feed was easy to find on your website, but I was surprised that you guys haven't signed up on iTunes.

Wolfsbaine

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
I download the episodes via iTunes/RSS feed to my iPod.  I then listen either when driving to/from work, or during the working day.

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
Well I always start by taking off my pants.................

I just stream it off the website. Have not downloaded any episodes but that could not hurt. I don't listen to very many podcasts. The only others would be a couple video game podcasts which I just let itunes auto download or listen to the live broadcast.

runester

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:49:22 AM by runester »

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
Feed is the minority because we are terribly delinquent when it comes to iTunes.

From what I understand, most gaming podcasts get 1/2 (at least) their listeners from iTunes.  We haven't set it up yet (we want the feed to be set and are changing servers and waiting for that). 

I expect when we do set up our listenership to go up. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »
Streaming does not work on this fucking Vista laptop.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

DustDevil

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
I subscribe to the feed via my podcatcher (the Zune software argument's sake), and usually listen to it at work.  Being able to listen to podcasts at the day job is one of the few perks.

DustDevil
XBL Gamertag & Zune Social ID: DustDevil75

Geek: Rebooted
A blog of sorts

MilwaukeeJoe

• Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
Download through iTunes (subscribed through your RSS feed), listen on my iPod at work.

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
I download it via my Podcast software (ZenCast Organizer) then listen to it on my player almost exclusively in the car.  But then, I listen to all my podcasts that way.  The big difference in the case of Brilliant Gameologists is that the other ones, such as This American Life, Voice of the Revolution, and Fear the Boot, are work friendly, so I can listen to them at work.  BG?  Pretty much only in the car.

I have to admit though that I almost never listen to them streaming, because if I'm on the computer then I'm being distracted by what I'm doing, and I miss whole chunks of conversation and have to rewind.  In the car that problem never happens.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

MilwaukeeJoe

• Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:28 PM »
The big difference in the case of Brilliant Gameologists is that the other ones, such as This American Life, Voice of the Revolution, and Fear the Boot, are work friendly, so I can listen to them at work.  BG?  Pretty much only in the car.

One word. Headphones.  ;) Makes BG work-friendly!

MilwaukeeJoe

The87

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • TrapCast
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 02:14:25 PM »
use an RSS parser here....

Specifically the one that is part of Mozilla Firefox. It's really very convenient.

DMParagon

• Monkey bussiness
  • LEVEL 30 DUNGEON MASTER!
    • Urth Campaign Setting for 4th Edition D&D
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 10:43:02 PM »
Incase you use this info or statistics or something, I will reply: I was listening via Zune software, but it stopped updating when ITunes did, so now I just download the new episodes when my RSS Feed catcher tells me you have a new one out :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a crush on Meg, but I am sure that's not original :)

otherdoc

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • It Was a Photograph From Life!
    • Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 02:18:03 AM »
I use the RSS feed, but via Firefox's Live Bookmark feature.  I use the Live Bookmark to see when a new episode has been released, then I come to the web site, download it and put it on my PC desktop in a little queue I've formed of the podcasts I listen to.  Then, after I've listened to it (usually via Winamp) I delete the file (unless it's one of those occasions where I want to keep it for reference, in which case I move it to my "podcasts" music subfolder -- I did that with the Setting Suggestions and Geek Gifts episodes).

Generally I listen to the podcast when I'm web surfing or before I go to sleep at night and/or as I'm waking up in the morning.

Of course I hear the best thing to do is to listen to it naked.  That way you can experience the brilliant gameology directly, letting its purity wash over you like a disturbingly warm shower....
 0:)

Dionysus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 02:12:59 PM »
yep, same as above for me.
RSS catcher notifies me that there is a new episode up. Then I go to the site, download, and listen when I get some time.

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
I'm a downloader so I can listen from my iPhone while at work. Being an IT guy it lets me move around to work on the servers and such while not having to play NSFW shows over speakers. The only thing I have a problem with iTunes, since it is the only way to download via RSS for the iPhone, is that if there are multiple downloads between checks I only get the most recent file. It might help if Apple did some reprogramming.

Also, I don't have any particular preference concerning the show's length.

Victor
Red Box Geek - The scribblings of a roleplay gaming geek.

Victor J. Wyatt's Twitter

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 05:14:44 AM »
I'm a downloader so I can listen from my iPhone while at work. Being an IT guy it lets me move around to work on the servers and such while not having to play NSFW shows over speakers. The only thing I have a problem with iTunes, since it is the only way to download via RSS for the iPhone, is that if there are multiple downloads between checks I only get the most recent file. It might help if Apple did some reprogramming.

Also, I don't have any particular preference concerning the show's length.

Victor

You can't play the episode from the webpage on your iphone browser?
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »
I forgot about that one. Until I started posting on the forums I had gotten out of visiting podcast sites unless they mention something will be linked in show notes.

The problem I have with iTunes only downloading the most recent show is that I have no idea there was another show between the latest and the last one I listened to unless someone on the current show mentions something from it. I'd be tempted to check and see if I missed an episode if I didn't have over 80 shows in my list. (They give me something to listen to while at work.)

At the moment I check for updated podcasts first thing in the morning during the week. I don't miss much of anything due to multiple downloads being available at the moment.

Victor
Red Box Geek - The scribblings of a roleplay gaming geek.

Victor J. Wyatt's Twitter

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »
The problem I have with iTunes only downloading the most recent show is that I have no idea there was another show between the latest and the last one I listened to unless someone on the current show mentions something from it. I'd be tempted to check and see if I missed an episode if I didn't have over 80 shows in my list. (They give me something to listen to while at work.)

For people who don't have to use itunes...

itunes is one of the worst pod aggregators.  If you don't have to use it you can use lots of genuinely good programs.  Ziepod and juice for example.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009