Author Topic: D&D Online Optimization (DDO Optimization) for 2011  (Read 14655 times)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: D&D Online Optimization (DDO Optimization) for 2011
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
I like the idea of summonlings, and having a tank to take a hit or 3 helps, but I don't know which roles each DDO summonling is meant to fill.  Where can I find this list?
It probably doesn't exist, because they only recently created the Augment Summoning feat and added things like Greater Elementals.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »
Once I got to Stormreach, people seemingly need to group.  As a Wiz3, even playing level 2 and 3 missions on Normal was difficult.  My perspective is skewed:  I'm still new and my groups insist on doing Elite missions.

What are your experiences?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
At Sor4 now.
Once out of storm reach, most of the quest's I did with group where elite(Being the lowest or tied for the lowest level most of the time, I died often when I ran even a little bit head)
Traps on elite at this level traps are nearly always 1HKO's, and even with the proper resist energy(standard wand of it), they do 1/2 health or more of damage. Charm Person has worked wonder's though, but the parties always wants to kill them as soon as there are no other enemies on screen.
Only at nearly 2k platinum right now, most of it earned by selling loot at the Auction.
The 100 kobold mission on elite was brutal, so many deaths, and even at the end the npc's where camping the Sun Shrine thus making getting the treasure chest a pain.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »
Past about 4th level, groups really are the way to go. Even normal missions get tough to solo if you don't have a strong soloing character, and solo/casual difficulty just doesn't give enough XP  or treasure to be worth it. Fortunately, groups are usually easy to find and even random people tend to be good enough for hard difficulty.

Traps are... well, they're usually a pain. I played a Rogue/Ranger up to 9th level, so I can certainly attest to their lethality, and how you need to optimize your Disable Device checks on elite if you don't want the panels blowing up in your face every so often (and Search checks just to find them). A surprising number of them can be bypassed if you have good timing, though, but not all. Basically, better hope your trapfinder knows what he/she's doing. Resist Energy won't help much on elite, but Protection from Energy will usually let your trapfinder take a single blow from an elite energy-based trap (which is maybe half of them at best).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »
Also, if you're of the recommended level then Elite is no problem.  Basically, the monsters have more HP and might cast spells of a level higher than normal (such as, say, Glitterdust instead of Cause Fear or something).  They're a little more difficult, but the strategies behind the fights are the same.

Also, Normal isn't difficult with a group.  Pretty much only for completionists.

EDIT: Damn you people.  Because of you guys, I'm downloading CrossOver as we speak...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:23:22 AM by X-Codes »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »
WHy go Sorcerer instead of Wizard?  Favored Soul instead of Cleric?

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 04:27:58 AM »
Having twice as many spell points is considered more valuable in DDO than reselecting your spells every rest, especially since a well-chosen Sorcerer payload can do everything necessary for a given situation, barring some obscure niches (that's what scrolls are for, I guess, or the 1 spell/3 days retraining).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
Having twice as many spell points is considered more valuable in DDO than reselecting your spells every rest, especially since a well-chosen Sorcerer payload can do everything necessary for a given situation, barring some obscure niches (that's what scrolls are for, I guess, or the 1 spell/3 days retraining).
Also, Prestige Enhancements.  Sorcerers and Favored Souls are strictly better at blasting than Wizards or Clerics because of their enhanced SP and different Prestige Enhancements.  Wizards and Clerics, on the other hand, get to pick the best spells for a given quest, which is really, really nice.  Afterall, a Sorcerer with Charm Person isn't going to be able to use it in an area full of Undead.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Hey, this sounds familiar.

Oh yeah...I wrote the book on this. :) Too bad it's outdated and nobody will give me support to keep it updated since I quit.

For what it's worth, the game is difficult for beginners with very little loot. Personally, I almost exclusively solo'd (with the exception of running in a pair for a few quests) all the way to level 12 on a sorcerer. I did every quest from hard to elite alone or with a friend. The difference was that I had the most powerful gear available at every level, a ton of money, and knew every quest like the back of my hand. Strategic use of nuking and charming mixed with diplomacy works wonders.

Of course, I had played since launch. I don't expect people just picking it up to do those things, but over time the game becomes more and more easy as you learn it and build up a supply of items.

If you really want to know how to play any class in the game, I can offer my 2 cp on it. I am most well known for being an arcane caster, but no class is too complex to figure out on one's own. Some classes will depend on what exactly you plan to do with them, but most are very straightforward.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:35:29 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
With Improved Mental Toughness, how does a Wizard's spell point pool compare to a Sorcerer's, assuming the Sorcerer didn't take Mental Toughness?

I'm also interested in knowing the best way to play Wizards.  Seems like Enchantment, Evocation, and Necromancy, the favorite 3 schools to oppose in tabletop- are the best in DDO.

In groups @4, I don't do much.  I do Eternal Wand spam and let my minions and buffs handle things.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:48:25 PM by Endarire »

Speaking of which:

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »
With Improved Mental Toughness, how does a Wizard's spell point pool compare to a Sorcerer's, assuming the Sorcerer didn't take Mental Toughness?

Typically a fair amount smaller than the sorcerer's. However, wizards can have plenty of spell points to get by.

IMO, the biggest advantage of the sorcerer is the fact that you can cast approximately twice as fast as any other class in the game.

Hmmm...question...on what server do you play?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:57:57 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
Sarlona.  My Wizard is named Kyanreth.  I'm still in Stormreach at L4.

Speaking of which:

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 12:05:38 AM »
Ah, I haven't got any characters there or I'd throw you some items and gold, since I likely won't be using either any time soon.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 04:50:38 AM »
Care to join me so we can play together?  Maybe your advice from years ago still holds!

Speaking of which:

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
Please take no offense, I have no intentions on returning to playing DDO. I have moved on in life and prefer not to get involved again. The game can be highly addictive, and caters strongly to powergamers. I have no plans to be a powergamer again. My days of farming high level quests for epic items and zooming from level 1 to 20 in less than 2 weeks are over. Most of my friends in the game still play in this manner, and I find it difficult not to engage in playing "keep up with the Jones's." I prefer to stay out of the game to keep my real life balanced. Play by post games and RL sessions satisfy my gaming needs now, and I don't want my life to return to such intense concentration on an MMO.

Also, my style of play is not a good mix with a person new to the game that wishes to experience it as it was meant. Playing "keep up with the sorcerer...never stop running" probably isn't your idea of Dungeons & Dragons. You will see more than enough players like me while you play on your own, you don't need me pushing you in to that realm on a constant basis. I recommend playing with your friends and others already engaged in a similar manner as yourself.

I am happy to offer tactical and character advice. The game hasn't changed so substantially that what I wrote previously does not still hold true for the most part. There are a few minor changes and additions, but for the most part it is not all that different.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:27:51 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 01:29:22 AM »
How did you get to L20 in about 2 weeks?  Sounds like a life devotion more than entertainment!

Speaking of which:

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
I've played with some groups that race through instances, even on Elite.  That's seemingly how people level so quickly.

I'm quite annoyed that so many abilities have innate penalties.  See Prestige Enhancements.

I've also discovered Wizards can off-tank around level 5.  Blur, mage armor, shield, and a Robe of Stability gives me 22 AC on a 14 DEX character.

What are the best ways to make money at L5, preferably alone?

Speaking of which:

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:19 PM »
At level 5 you can probably solo the Waterworks quests, especially on lower difficulties.  Go through them and make sure to hit every Mushroom node in the quests.  You'll get tons of Sweet Whitecaps that sell for ~125 plat each and even more Strings of Prayer Beads that sell for ~100 plat each, both dependent on market price, of course.  You'll also get quite a few Small Wooden Idols and Deadly Feverblanches that are about the same in terms of monetary value, but rarer.  Some very rare finds include Amber Vials (~1k plat), Vials of Pure Water (~2.5k plat), and Tome: Prophecies of Khyber (~5k plat).  There's also the possibility of finding a Small Eberron Dragonshard Fragment, which is easily worth 20k plat and can go for 25k plat.  On the other hand, Icons of Khyber and Pale Creepers, which you'll probably find more than a few of, are all but worthless and should just be redeemed and the loot sold (Icons of Khyber *can* get you a +1 minor reptilian bane melee weapon, which is worth a few hundred plat on the AH, and Pale Creepers give you crappy armor that you sell for a few plat).

If you can't solo the Waterworks quests, then do Durk's Got a Secret.  In addition to the collectables, there's a valuable rare spawn that drops a rare club called Muckbane (+1 minor ooze bane club).  This weapon is extremely valuable because it's the only weapon early-game that doesn't take extra damage from smacking oozes.  Bringing the Light is another option because it's much shorter than Durk's but offers more opportunities to get Vials (but significantly fewer for mushrooms and beads).

Finally, there really isn't any "tank" role in this game.  Having 22 AC is really about the minimum you should have at your level to solo quests.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 02:52:14 AM »
All this stuff sounds valuable, but how is it used?  I've vendor trashed so much of this stuff, thinking it was mere junk!

Speaking of which:

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
Most of the valuable stuff is used in some sort of crafting system, there's about a dozen of them in DDO now.  Although, the original use was to turn them in to NPCs and receive minor rewards in return.  For example, the Strings of Prayer Beads, Small Wooden Idols, and Icons of Khyber are turned into a kobold standing around the bank in the Harbor, and in return you get stuff varying from masterwork ammunition to the aforementioned +1 lesser reptilian bane weapons.  Only the Icons of Khyber can get you a +1 lesser reptilian bane weapon and it's also not used in any crafting systems yet, so the best use for those is to turn them in and hope to get something valuable.  Strings of Prayer Beads and Small Wooden Idols are used in the newest Cannith Crafting system, and as such are in very high demand.