Author Topic: Slavicsek out ... sooo 5e speculation time?  (Read 3594 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Slavicsek out ... sooo 5e speculation time?
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »
Official announcement here:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dragon/20110623ampersand

I have enjoyed his work. 2e settings, the 3e game, some of the 4e details.
I wish him the best. And the others axed, too.

So is it too early to yammer about 5th Edition ...  ;)

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: Slavicsek out ... sooo 5e speculation time?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
Is there any replacement for Slavicsek announced?

Anyway considering that 4e was kinda "not as planned" since a damn lot of players chose to stay behind with 3e, I would say they may try to go back to it. It's not uncommon for wotc to suddenly turn back to things that worked on the past but they ditched for some reason or the other (cough MTG cough). Expect plenty of new crazy mechanics sprinkled as well. Vancian casting has a signficant chance of coming back.

And then expect some built-in card game that will demand the players to get random boosters. :p

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »
My gaming group and I have a theory and please if there is any evidence of this let me know.

We believe that D&D 4th edition was an already made RPG that WotC simply purchased and then changed all the names to D&D things.  So for example if the original game had "Force Missiles" they changed that to "Magic Missile" and so on and so forth.

We are hoping for 5th edition because after playing 4th for about 3 months we just gave up; no one was getting any kind of pay out.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
And then expect some built-in card game that will demand the players to get random boosters. :p
4e already has that. And you're technically playing by houserules if you don't use them - you can't play at official events without a deck.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:58:34 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
4e already has that. And you're technically playing by houserules if you don't use them - you can't play at official events without a deck.

What? Since when? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the new "essentials" line they published, but I've got every core 4e book and I can't corroborate that story.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

What? Since when? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the new "essentials" line they published, but I've got every core 4e book and I can't corroborate that story.

I had heard about some fortune cards, but I could swear they were completely optional. If they're already needed for official events then just wow... :o

Well then expect a new rarity level on said cards, a new set every few months, they becoming even more important for gameplay purposes and overal wotc finding new ways of milking the players from money.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
Wow. I thought it was cute when they employed the card game elements in the 4e-inspired Gamma World game, but this is a new low...

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
Magic tg and Poker ...
but how the !@$# do you squeeze those into a fully functional game ?!
 :fu
They're doing it anyway.

Monopoly and Scrabble , are the other biggies.

50+ year old Women play Farmville  ???
That's like a totally untapped demographic.
And Farmville is totally Down Time related; an obvious weak point in 4e.

Don't 50 year old Women have fantasies ...  :eh
You know killing the Ex, or flying (teleporting) to a romantic coastline with Satyrs and Centaurs.
etc

D&D meets Oprah.
(wink)

EDIT --- change beige to brown "oprah"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:15:57 PM by awaken DM golem »

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
50+ year old Women play Farmville  ???

Don't 50 year old Women have fantasies ...  :eh
You know killing the Ex, or flying (teleporting) to a romantic coastline with Satyrs and Centaurs.
etc

D&D meets Oprah.
(wink)

YES! How do we introduce downtime elements into RPG gameplay so as to pander to the farmville demographic?!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »
50+ year old Women play Farmville  ???

Don't 50 year old Women have fantasies ...  :eh
etc

D&D meets Oprah.
(wink)

YES! How do we introduce downtime elements into RPG gameplay so as to pander to the farmville demographic?!
5e will all be online.

"Your character may only craft when you're not online, but it has to be done on our server, which you pay to use."
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »
That would be evil.
Neutral Lawful Yugolothic backstabbing Evil.

It would make sense to use D&D as more of a franchise system.

a) ... Old-Fashioned, slightly improved, somewhat consolidated TTRPG
b) ... 4e Lite turned into a legit (and that's the hard part) MMO ; to both prove and defeat the stereotype
c) ... quick and dirty versions, but d&d-ish enough to confuse the elders, of the other games I mentioned
d) ... quit screwing around and bomb the game altogether ; to come up with something new.
e) ... it ain't gonna happen until 6e anyway sad panda
f) .... when gramma starts playing d&d  (( chainmail bikini gramma  :twitch ))  it's the sign of the apocalypse

???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:36:08 PM by awaken DM golem »

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Considering how book sales have dropped and DDI subscriptions have increased, my thought is that WotC will move toward a similar product development cycle as Magic: the Gathering ... you get your lore in tie-in novels (Forgotten Realms already works that way...) and you get the core rules updates online, while they release "boosters" and "expansions" every few months, along with additional spin-offs like the Conquest of Nerath and dungeon crawl board games.

Not like anyone here needs to care. Y'all have 3.5 books, it isn't like this should affect you. :P
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
They're probably already working on it. :p

Considering how book sales have dropped and DDI subscriptions have increased, my thought is that WotC will move toward a similar product development cycle as Magic: the Gathering ... you get your lore in tie-in novels (Forgotten Realms already works that way...) and you get the core rules updates online, while they release "boosters" and "expansions" every few months, along with additional spin-offs like the Conquest of Nerath and dungeon crawl board games.
It makes sense.  M:tG is their most profitably product, right?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
They said they weren't working on 4e. They said there wouldn't be a 4.5. Don't listen to anything they say. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »
They said they weren't working on 4e. They said there wouldn't be a 4.5. Don't listen to anything they say. :p[/quote]
Exactly. ;)

Well, they staunchly refused to call it 4.5. I wouldn't be admired if they published 5e "disguised" as a 4e suplement/spin-off or something like that. :P
No, I think they'd totally call it 5E.  They just have to wait until they think it will generate the most profit.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

psyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
Maybe a split into the old 'advanced' and non-advanced lines, in order to try to retain both the 3.5 and 4 crowds?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Try to catch both and lose both?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
Solo play.

Dude Where's the Bard?
Everybody has party members not show up = Better development of Companion Characters.