Author Topic: (Pathfinder) Optimizing the Gunslinger, thoughts/ideas?  (Read 17903 times)

TeslaWolff

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
(Pathfinder) Optimizing the Gunslinger, thoughts/ideas?
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:58:12 AM »

So this class has been going through my mind lately, it looks really interesting and seems like it could have the potential for some
interesting optimization. I'm pretty sure it is still in playtesting though, but I would like to get some thoughts from the BG community
if anyone has looked at it. There are threads on paizo's messageboard regarding the class but I lose a lot of faith in the contributors
over there when a a majority believe the monk can be a powerful and competitive class standing up to a barbarian or fighter.

I think pathfinders rule for firearms being touch attacks have some serious potential for abuse, I'm very interested if anyone here has
created a potent build for the class.

"What does monk stand for? Master Of Not Killing."

Knowledge is power. Arm yourself for battle.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
Re: (Pathfinder) Optimizing the Gunslinger, thoughts/ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
I'm currently playing a Gunslinger, right now at Level 4(we started at 1).
- You want the updated version of the Playtest, it may start weaker, but has more potential.
- You want to be Human, you're gonna badly need a lot of feats.
- You'll depend on Equipment very much, frankly you're screwed without a Gun and Ammo to go with it.
- Guns are even more costly, than Mighty Composite Bows, at least you can craft them following the rules for magic items(1/2 cost & 1 day/1000gold).
- Even if you make your own ammunition(I recommend you do, 90% discount is darn near the best deal you'll get out of combat and you frankly don't have the Grit to spare until you can take Signature Deed), you're gonna pay 11 Silverpieces per shot, where arrows & bolts are a lot cheaper.
- Craft(Alchemy) is pretty much a no-brainer(you need it for Alchemical cartridges which reduce time needed for reloads, throwing acid for 1/3 the listed price per flask is actually decent at low levels and with the APG weapon blanche makes special bullets for overcoming DR cheaper than "the real thing")
- Touch only within the first range increment, unless you use a modern Firearm(ask your DM, if and when you can buy or craft specific weapons and special ammunitions)

Get multiple firearms, as soon as you can afford them, but at first level you need to decide between:
- Musket for Range
- TWF a Pistol and a (likely finesseable) Melee Weapon
- Blunderbuss for shortranged areaeffect + (with alchemical shot)conditions
Nothing to be gained from selling any of these, but at least you can upgrade to masterwork.

If you don't want to multiclass, you're best bet is to focus on 1 single shot per round(Vital Strike & following feats), the use of Grit(Secret Stash, multiple times Signature Deed) and Critical Hits(Improved Crit & following feats).
Too bad, Pathfinder actually discourages MC(the level 20 ability isn't really impressive, but it would take 2 feats to emulate and you simply don't have 2 feats to spare) and there's no PrC included in the playtest.

jetstrike

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: (Pathfinder) Optimizing the Gunslinger, thoughts/ideas?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54:48 AM »
I don't klnow the build off the top of my head but ill dig it up.... Gunslinger is stupidly OP. a lvl 20 can Solo 4 gold dragons