Author Topic: Armor Optimization for a caster  (Read 5788 times)

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
Armor Optimization for a caster
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
I just searched a bit and didn't found any good thread for this...

What would you buy for a midlevel caster? (ofc no arcane spell fail reduction or proficiency)

I found the Bondleaf Wrap (1 AC, price 1000+300 MW gp and no arcane spell failure, no armor check penalty and thus no penalty by using without proficiency.
It could be enchanted with Agility (+1 reflex, 500gp), Stamina (+1 fortitude, 500gp) (don't know if Balance/Shadow/Silent Moves are worth their money before lvl 7) and it could get Armor Spikes (50 + 300 MW gp) enchanted with Spellstoring (+1 prize) and Warning (+1 prize) (eager is a bit expensive to give +2 ini). You would have a 1 AC +1 reflex, +1 fortitude, +5 ini spellstoring armor for only 6650 gp. What would be a useful +1 enhancement for the armor itself? Is it actually worth to pay over 6000 gold at level 5 (where I am atm) or should I only get the base armor and a belt of hidden pouches first?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Armor Optimization for a caster
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »
If you can afford the Snowcasting feat (...and focus on a high CL and DC because of it, for cheap), you can get:

Hellforged Blue Ice Breastplate +1 (5,350 GP) = +6 Armor AC / +3 Max. Dex / No ACP / 20% ASF (0% for [Cold])
Blue Ice Heavy Shield +1 (1,770 GP) = +3 Shield AC / No ACP /  5% ASF (0% for [Cold])
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
Another reason why psionics is awesome.

No ASF.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
Stamina and Agility are resistance bonuses FYI.

Githcraft Leafweave Leather (DMG2, RotW) might be a better choice, until +1 Twilight Mithral Breastplate is an option.

The former gives +2 armor to AC, +1 (unnamed) to Concentration, with no ASF, no ACP, for about the same cost. A matching githcraft darkwood buckler, would be nice as well.

CantripN's option is uber for a snow caster.

Abjurant Champion w/ Greater Luminous Armor and Shield spell is probably optimal for a gish build. Greater Mage Armor and Paragnostic Apostle gives +8.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
Thistledown padded armor (Races of the Wild 168) costs only 405 gp with the masterwork cost included.  That gives you +1 armor bonus, +10 max dex bonus, no armor check penalty, and no arcane spell failure chance.  I believe it's is the cheapest option. 

Mindarmor (Magic Item Compendium 13) is nice.  If you don't need to boost your will saves right now, a lesser crystal of arrow deflection or lesser crystal of lifekeeping (Magic Item Compendium 25) could be nice. 

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »
Thistledown padded armor (Races of the Wild 168) costs only 405 gp with the masterwork cost included.  That gives you +1 armor bonus, +10 max dex bonus, no armor check penalty, and no arcane spell failure chance.  I believe it's is the cheapest option.

Mindarmor (Magic Item Compendium 13) is nice.  If you don't need to boost your will saves right now, a lesser crystal of arrow deflection or lesser crystal of lifekeeping (Magic Item Compendium 25) could be nice. 
This is all good stuff.  Note that the Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection is a Shield crystal, so you'll need a +1 Githcraft Buckler to use it.  That said, you can also throw Mindarmor on said buckler and get a nifty, little discount.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »
Feycraft Githcraft (Dungeon Master's Guide II 274 & 276) Mithril Chain Shirt is only 2200G and is totally nonmagical.  It's +4 AC, no ASF, and no ACP.

Just don't think too hard about how it was made.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »
Unseelie githyanki?

They're like Keebler Elves, but riding red dragons.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
I think you'd need a githyanki mind controlling (or is it mind controlled by?) a Fey.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »
The snow caster variant is heavy o.O

I just found something odd: Deflecting (+1 melee weapon bonus) Armor Spikes from Complete Warrior allow you a Reflex save against every ranged weapon. Boots of Sidestepping (3k gp) from Dungeonscape lets you take a step whenever you are allowed to make a reflex save. When your outside of the effect you don't need to make the save anymore. Does this combination make you immune to ranged weapons or did I miss something?

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
Or you could just cast mage armor and get a rod of lesser extend for 3000 gp and get yourself a mithral light shield with a shield spike if you really want enchantments.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 01:03:43 AM »

I think you missed three things:
  • Deflecting only works once per round.
  • Boots of sidestepping use an immediate action.
  • Boots of sidestepping only work on reflex saves against spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects.

Here are some nonmagical benefits you can get from armor:
  • Camouflage: +2 hide in specific terrain, +300 gp (Underdark, page 66)
  • Forestwarden Shroud: Tumble & move silently through undergrowth, +100 gp (Races of the Wild, page 167)
  • Keel: +2 swim, +50 gp (Stormwrack, page 106)
  • Muffling: +2 move silently, +300 gp (Underdark, page 66)
  • Ornate: +2 diplomacy or intimidate, +400 gp (Dragon 358, page 42)
  • Riding Straps: +1 ride, +200 gp (Races of Stone, page 157)
  • Soulforged: +2 to resist bull rush & trip, +400 gp (Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 279)
  • Thistledown Padded Armor: +2 hide in dark or shadowy places, 405 gp (Races of the Wild 168)

Bortasz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 04:42:37 AM »
Mithril Chain Shirt of Twilight = 5 100 Gold
AC 5 (4 armour +1 magic)
ASF 0%  (20% base - 10% Mithril -10% Twilight)
No armour Penalty = no need for proficiency
Max Dex 6 (4base +2 Mithril)

Mithril dastana = 1025 gold Optional magic +1 for 1 000
AC +1 (2 witch magic)
ASF 0%
No armour penalty

Mithril light shield  1 009 Optional Magic +1 for 1 000
AC +1 (2 witch magic)
ASF 0%
No armour penalty

Total:
AC 7 (9 will all optional magic)
ASF 0%
Mac dex 6

Cost: 7 134 - 9 134

You need only Gold. Work for all Arcane casters.
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »
Mithril Chain Shirt of Twilight = 5 100 Gold
AC 5 (4 armour +1 magic)
ASF 0%  (20% base - 10% Mithril -10% Twilight)
No armour Penalty = no need for proficiency
Max Dex 6 (4base +2 Mithril)

Mithril dastana = 1025 gold Optional magic +1 for 1 000
AC +1 (2 witch magic)
ASF 0%
No armour penalty

Mithril light shield  1 009 Optional Magic +1 for 1 000
AC +1 (2 witch magic)
ASF 0%
No armour penalty

Total:
AC 7 (9 will all optional magic)
ASF 0%
Mac dex 6

Cost: 7 134 - 9 134

You need only Gold. Work for all Arcane casters.
Mithril is pretty nice, but you see yourself, it's pretty expensive.
@Maat_Mons: Nice one, these skill bonuses can really help alot and are quite cheap.
Just found something, too:
Reinforced: +10% weight, +1 AC, +800g
combined with Lightwight: -20% weight, +200g

Means +1 AC for +1000g and -10% weight - and it's mundane, so it stacks with any magic enhancement without further increasing of the price.
Would be a total of +11 AC to above list for a total price of 11k gp.

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:59 AM »
Maybe expansive but in my opinion the best option efet

From where you take Reinforced and lightweight? I'm surprise that this thinks stack together. 

Reinforced + mithril = Chain shirt AC 5 mac dex 6
Add to that +1 enhancement and twilight = AC 6 ASF 0% Mac Dex 6 Cost 5300

Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Tr011

• Email
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:15:01 AM »
Sorry, thought I wrote the source. It's from Dragon #358, too. And I didn't found why it wouldn't stack. Not by RAW and imo not even by RAI, since one says you make it more defensive, no matter the weight, and the other thing is a weight-optimization - this doesn't have to cancel each other out, it can stack indeed.

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »
Runesmith is a good Prc if your character concept allows it. It removes all somatic components to spell casting, removing ASF, as well as other more powerful bonuses, such as being able to give spells to your party members for them to cast for themselves and eventually gives you a permanent rune which is a spell-like ability 2/day. Its in Races of Stone, right before the more famous and powerful Shadowcraft Mage.

Shadowcraft Mage + Arcane thesis + Still Spell + Heighten spell achieves a similar effect.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
First thing I buy, once I can afford it:
- Thistledown Padded
- Upgrade to Mithral Chainshirt +1 of Twilight

Sure, Eternal Wands of Mage Armor(or a 1st level Pearl of Power to regain the Slot you used in the morning) are cheaper, but these can be dispelled and won't even function as mundane Masterwork in an AMF.

Depe3nding on relative Size of Master & Familiar, Barding may be useful(I picked up a Winterwolf for the Breath Weapon, but came to think that an Imp with medium Boar- or Spider-form works better. This is also the one instance, where Mage Armor trumps Barding for a Familiar).

Halinn

• Email
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
Feycraft Mithral Chainshirt with a Thistledown Suit has 0% ASF. No need for twilight.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
No need for twilight.
Amen.

Those vampires are too damned sparkly.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]