Author Topic: MMO Discussion Thread  (Read 4711 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
MMO Discussion Thread
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I've decided to start getting into MMO's again (when I get a job), and have been looking into what's out.  Here's what I have to say, and I'm interested in other people's opinion's/experiences.

DDO: Boring, very hard to play solo.  I tried it for awhile and am sad to say I spent some money on it.  I'm not going back.

WoW: I'm getting tired of WoW, I really am.  I enjoy it, but I've been playing it for so long that I want something new.

Things that look interesting: Age of Conan, Everquest I/II, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Rift, Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic (when it comes out), and Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online (I probably have way too high expectations for this game, and it is schedule to come out in 2013).

If you have any experiences with anything I've listed, or anything I haven't, and you want to share, go ahead!  This isn't me asking what I should buy, I want actual discussion here.   :p
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: MMO Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:28:03 AM »
Probably going to be mocked and/or flamed for this; but I have been playing Runescape for the last month or so and I have been, really enjoying it.  Currently a P2P member but the f2p content is not that bad.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »
WoW sucks.

/threadwin
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:38 AM »

WoW: I'm getting tired of WoW, I really am.  I enjoy it, but I've been playing it for so long that I want something new.

Things that look interesting: Age of Conan, Everquest I/II, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Rift, Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic (when it comes out), and Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online (I probably have way too high expectations for this game, and it is schedule to come out in 2013).

If you have any experiences with anything I've listed, or anything I haven't, and you want to share, go ahead!  This isn't me asking what I should buy, I want actual discussion here.   :p

GW didn't appeal to me due not having any friends who play it and I dislike that you're only allowed a limited number of charcters,I'm slightly tempted to try STO but not totally sure just yet, I may pick up the limited eidtion for 20 dollars at hastings, From what i've heard about SWTOR it's basically KotOR now with co-op, but if they put out a trail,i'll give it a shot. But for now i'm sitcking with WoW

EDIT: The only moo I have a fear of trying is Eve online :bigeye
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:46:18 AM by trappedslider »
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
@Dusk   I've never really been interested in Runescape, I've seen it played and it didn't appeal to me.

@Kuro   WoW doesn't suck.    :p

@Trapped   I had a discussion with one of my friends about Guild Wars a couple of weeks ago.  It was basically, "You want to play Guild Wars?  Well if you want you can have my old copy if I can find it anywhere."  So I'm with you in that I know no one who I could play with.  Also, I loved KOTOR so KOTOR with co-op wouldn't neccessarily be a horrible experience for me.   :P

My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
WoW is the MMO equivalent of dope. Everybody seems to do it, nobody seems to notice the harm, and long-term use makes you essentially dead on the inside.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
@Trapped   I had a discussion with one of my friends about Guild Wars a couple of weeks ago.  It was basically, "You want to play Guild Wars?  Well if you want you can have my old copy if I can find it anywhere."  So I'm with you in that I know no one who I could play with.  Also, I loved KOTOR so KOTOR with co-op wouldn't neccessarily be a horrible experience for me.   :P

Well the key is,aslong as you enjoy it
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
I really enjoyed GW I've been playing it since release. I'll take a few extended breaks here and there to avoid burnout though. For me the recent content they have release didn't really interest me and I've already done most everything I wanted to do in the game. The only thing left is for me to play the way they want me to so I can get enough points in HoM to get rewards in GW2. So I've been avoiding the grind. You also don't need to have another player as the game is solo friendly, but it is more fun with a friend or two. Just start in Nightfall and get some heroes (customized NPC companions) and run with them.

City of Heroes is going free to play as an option as well, though you really get screwed hard vs those who pay to play. There is also a reboot of Hellgate that recently had a beta and will likely come out soon. The game was pretty solid overall.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »
The only MMO that has captured my attention for a rather lengthy amount of time is Shin Megami Tensei Imagine. And that was only because there was an actual story in it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:31:14 PM »
I have played most of the big MMO's on the market so far and each one has its own sort of appeal...

Final Fantasy XI: Story is spectacular (what do you expect from a pre XII final fantasy game) and the soundtrack is similarly awesome. The game itself however is mindbreakingly hard and you can expect to be broke constantly for your entire playing career.

WoW: Story is crap but the combat is fun, personally rather fond of raiding. Music is pretty bad in most places and the graphics are pretty much exactly what you expect a scaled up Warcraft 3 to look like....

EVE: Music is good if you like trance, the game is hard mostly because of the other players though the interface feels like trying to manage 2-3 spreadsheets at once. This being said the scope of the game is enormous and it has a free trial. I find that most people who wont like EVE in the long run figure it out in the trial. Plus 150+ person space battles are epic. I would try and get into a lowsec pvp corp as fast as possible if I started again, the pve content is mind numbing and repetitive

City of Heroes: pretty bad, the graphics are poor and the story is not worth talking about. On top of that the leve designer needs to be shot... repeatedly.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
WoW is the MMO equivalent of dope. Everybody seems to do it, nobody seems to notice the harm, and long-term use makes you essentially dead on the inside.
Wrong.  That's Everquest.

DDO: Boring, very hard to play solo.  I tried it for awhile and am sad to say I spent some money on it.  I'm not going back.
Agree.  Not just this, but the endgame content is so bad that Turbine actually made a positive feature out of starting over at level 1.

Age of Conan
Haven't heard much, but what I have heard is positive.  It could very well be a worthwhile game to play for a few months, and if you get bored then maybe your appetite for more WoW will come back.

Everquest I/II
The original Everquest had a large following in it's day, but that's just because it had the best marketing IMO.  Both I and II are terrible.

Guild Wars
Guild Wars is like a f2p Everquest with more PvP.  I played this for a while, and my opinion is that you get what you pay for.

Lord of the Rings Online
After the movies, I wouldn't bet on this.  The franchise has been whored out since the penning of any and all books after The Hobbit.

Rift
Haven't heard anything about this at all.

Star Trek Online
Funny story.  I saw this on the store shelf at my local GameStop, and the guy behind the counter all but refused to sell it to me on the basis that it was that bad.

Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online.
I think SW:ToR is going to be better in your situation given that it's going to have more of a stylistic difference from WoW than 40K does.

My suggestion: Ultima Online.  The demo has 100% free digital distribution and 14 days of gameplay.  You'll get all but the latest expansion for free doing that as well (and the latest expansion is just $20).

Another thing that might be worth wasting a couple months on is SMT:Imagine, but I'm not a fan of developers like Aeria Games and GPotato.  I feel the companies emphasize quantity over quality.  As in, your SMT:Imagine account will also get you access to about a dozen other grindy MMOs, just like SMT:Imagine.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 03:05:09 AM »
Rift
Haven't heard anything about this at all.

Given that you had things to say about the others, i'm very surprised you haven't heard anything about Rift,since it was basicaly advertised as better than WoW

I've heard Good things about LotRO from a few of my friends who've played it

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 03:25:03 AM »
Given that you had things to say about the others, i'm very surprised you haven't heard anything about Rift,since it was basicaly advertised as better than WoW
That's not really a distinguishing feature.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
warhammer online was advertised in a similar way... and it probably was actually but didnt get the support.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »
Around half the fantasy mmos coming in the last years claim to be better than wow. So excuse me for my cepticism for Rift being better.

Mind you warhammer online had/has a lot of potential, but it ended up being too bug-riddled.

That's the main reason I believe wow is still the dominant mmo. Blizzard works extra hard to keep it running as smoothly as possible on top of all the other features.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »

heres the ad that was played on tv alotg before it came out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzpnQrUjB14

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »

Never saw that ad before.  Wouldn't particularly interest me, either, since there's no gameplay footage.  Anyone can throw together a bunch of pretty pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with a game.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

Never saw that ad before.  Wouldn't particularly interest me, either, since there's no gameplay footage.  Anyone can throw together a bunch of pretty pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with a game.
*Shrugs* Well liek i said it was all over tv and talked about on a number of different forums