Author Topic: Well shit.  (Read 2610 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Well shit.
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »
Japanese lab converts poop to steak

Video
We're in the future alright...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
Re: Well shit.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »
And you guys think Shadowrun is bad?  :fu
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
I love steak, but i'm not eating a shit steak. It just makes me think of the old saying "don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining."
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
Soylent Brown time.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
Soylent Brown time.
Someone used that same phrase at The Den yesterday.

This does not sound appealing to me.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
What. The. Hell.  :twitch

From now on, I'm gonna pay attention to what I eat. No one is gonna sneak some of this into my food!!!  :shakefist

Researching for a way to help the planet is fine, but everything has limits. EVERYTHING.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
Practically speaking,  if we ever want to do serious space travel, this tech is necessary.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »
Practically speaking,  if we ever want to do serious space travel, this tech is necessary.

O'rrly?

First, the poop steak is based on sewage mud that's dependant on a lot of other conditions other than simple human feces availability. In particular lots of available oxygen for those bacterias to do their work. Oxygen is much harder to store in big amounts than food.

Second, there's other alternatives:
-Hibernation technology.
-Garden in space wich works as a closed systems naturally recycling everything, which does take care of the oxygen problem.
-Transfering minds into machines. Granted very futuristic, but at the crawl speed that space exploration has fallen into in the last years, and the speed of computer advances, my bet is that we'll sooner have super smart machines than any kind of serious space travel. Fully automatized probes are all the rage now baby!

Granted, this looks like precisely the kind of thing that would be used once space colonies are stablished and people start going to them in big numbers.

As for here on Earth, the markets already do us eat all kind of sickening stuff (chewing gum is basically rubber, more syntehtic drugs out there that you can shake a stick at). So if they can get it cheap enough, a little marketing will put lots of people literally eating poop in no time.

Emphasis in "if". If the first prototype is ten-twenty times as expensive as the real deal, and considering they'll soon be competing against genetically modificated animals, well, geting it cheaper won't be easy.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
I mean the basis for it, high level reprocessing of waste materials.
The shitsteak aspect isn't as important as being able to convert human waste into human food.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
Emphasis in "if". If the first prototype is ten-twenty times as expensive as the real deal, and considering they'll soon be competing against genetically modificated animals, well, geting it cheaper won't be easy.
Eh, one of the "upcoming" things is muscle tissue grown on its own. Which is basically exactly the same as the way things are done now, except that the meat doesn't have a living wrapper you need to kill to get at it.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »
theres also a possibility it's a hoax

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »

O'rrly?

First, the poop steak is based on sewage mud that's dependant on a lot of other conditions other than simple human feces availability. In particular lots of available oxygen for those bacterias to do their work. Oxygen is much harder to store in big amounts than food.

Second, there's other alternatives:
-Hibernation technology.
-Garden in space wich works as a closed systems naturally recycling everything, which does take care of the oxygen problem.
-Transfering minds into machines. Granted very futuristic, but at the crawl speed that space exploration has fallen into in the last years, and the speed of computer advances, my bet is that we'll sooner have super smart machines than any kind of serious space travel. Fully automatized probes are all the rage now baby!

Granted, this looks like precisely the kind of thing that would be used once space colonies are stablished and people start going to them in big numbers.

As for here on Earth, the markets already do us eat all kind of sickening stuff (chewing gum is basically rubber, more syntehtic drugs out there that you can shake a stick at). So if they can get it cheap enough, a little marketing will put lots of people literally eating poop in no time.

There is already a bowel regulating yogurt made out of distilled shit in the market.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 03:13:26 AM »
So we use a different set of intermediate steps than
"pasteurize, use to grow plants, feed plants to cows, kill cows, eat"

What's the problem again?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
Most of it is psychological(which makes evolutionary sense since people who like the idea of eating poo generally get evolved out), but then you know even with the regular process, theres a risk of contaminants being recycled(see the salmonella outbreaks for example). So, probably safe in the lab, but when you scale it up, some people are going to screw up the turdburgers.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 03:38:54 AM »
... Protein re-sequencer from Enterprise?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 04:04:36 AM »
Steaks from shit? Fucking CharOps.  :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy