Author Topic: Game of Thrones inspired e6 game  (Read 2806 times)

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
Game of Thrones inspired e6 game
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Hello my friends. So I am making a game of thrones inspired d&d campaign. The players will togather make a noble house that they will control and play. I will be banning tiers 1 and 2 from play. they may appear as npc's but im setting a low magic game. i figure e6 will play into that perfectly. So i have a story and plot and what not.

The reason i am posting here is i need help with the war part. d&d is pretty lacking in massive warfare... anyone have some usefull links? I would like to have some big multiple army type battles. anything out there?

...Help!
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

heroicraptor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Game of Thrones inspired e6 game
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:06:28 AM »
Heroes of Battle and Complete Warrior both have stuff about large-scale warfare.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »
Heroes of Battle is likely your best resource.  Complete Warrior does have *some* stuff about it, but it's still mostly geared around adventuring warriors, not battlefield warriors.

If you need an expedited battle system for large-scale conflicts, then maybe check out the Miniatures Handbook.  There are even guidelines in it for creating new miniature statblocks.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
Why would you want to ban tier 1&2 from an e6 game? I mean yeah, they're powerful, but reality-altering powers don't start that soon.

Anything particularly you're concerned about (just curious)?

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
Just a guess, but it's probably because the highly magical classes don't fit that well into the game of thrones world, which is more mundane/ritualistic magic.

IlPazzo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »
Indeed. Dealing with magic is not gonna be easy.
If I can help you, here is a quick list of the magical things that appeared so far in ASoIaF that I remember:

Dragons;
Undeads (fast-zombie type)
Blood magic;
Divination;
(Don't read the following if you haven't read the books)
[spoiler]Anti-undead magic. Maybe even some curing, I don't remember;
Mind control;
Alter Self (and it's supposed to be very, very hard. Maybe as a skill check);
Illusions;
Some magical barrier. That may or may not be anti-undead only.
[/spoiler]

And if you're inspired by the TV show only, you haven't see the strongest things yet.

But there are a lot of opportunities for diplomancers and for venom-users in such a world.
Also, don't forget that animal companions/wild cohorts seem pretty strong.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
Why would you want to ban tier 1&2 from an e6 game? I mean yeah, they're powerful, but reality-altering powers don't start that soon.

Anything particularly you're concerned about (just curious)?

Just a guess, but it's probably because the highly magical classes don't fit that well into the game of thrones world, which is more mundane/ritualistic magic.

bingo!
havent read the books yet. but the show is amazing. thanks for the advice guys i will check out the above mentioned books for warfare  :D

Slappin ho's like E-Honda

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
I read some of it, but thought the emphasis on making everything grimdark just kind of made everything boring.  I'd be interested in playing provided that everything we do isn't inherently doomed to end in failure or trauma.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
I read some of it, but thought the emphasis on making everything grimdark just kind of made everything boring.  I'd be interested in playing provided that everything we do isn't inherently doomed to end in failure or trauma.

it sucks that only the villains have long lives in that series. and good guys never win.  real life works that way, why the hell do i want to read books that remind me of this fact?

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:37 AM »
Quote from: sir_argenon
it sucks that only the villains have long lives in that series. and good guys never win.  real life works that way, why the hell do i want to read books that remind me of this fact?

long lives  :rollseyes

There has only been 2 years that occur between A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords.  The series starts at 298 years after the Aegon the Conquers' Landing at King's Landing with his 3 dragons.  About 3/4s the way through A Storm of Swords they celebrate the 300 anniversary of the landing.

Thus you can't really speculate who is going to win the game of thrones (heroes or villians) especially since the game is long from over.

Furthermore no one who is a leader of a major house is older than their mid fifties.  Tywin Lannister is the oldest dated leader and he is 58 during ASoS.  Only one who is possibly older is the Queen of Thorns, we never get her age but her son is 44.  There may be people in this world that are older than 60s in the series but they are not leaders of the great houses, Grand Maester Pycelle is 85 during ASoS, Old Nan is ancient, Aemon of the Night Watch is 102 during ASoS.

People die young in a middle age type setting such as ASOIAF, and playing the game of thrones doesn't help matters  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:23:52 AM by Phoenix00 »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
The reason i am posting here is i need help with the war part. d&d is pretty lacking in massive warfare... anyone have some usefull links? I would like to have some big multiple army type battles. anything out there?
I've never seen anything good for this in D&D.  In my old 2E Combat & Tactics book, there were some rules, but they were pretty clunky.  Here's the basics:

• Divide each side into "units" of like groups (no mixed units; it kills the point).  The unit size is entirely arbitrary.  You might want to start with 10 units or so per side, and you can split them later as people die.  There's no hard fast rule here.
  • On each unit's initiative it attacks another with a single attack roll.  If it hits the other unit's AC, the attacking unit hits the defending unit for a number of Hit Dice equal to the number of attackers in the unit.
  • Melee units have to be able to engage other units in melee to attack.  Reach weapons have no real benefit under these rules, but you could easily work in AoO rules for the first round.
  • Range penalties apply as normal for ranged units (firing into melee, range increments, etc)

Examples:
[spoiler]So, for example, if you have a group of 100 human warriors (1 HD, AC 15 with swords) attacking a group of 100 orcs, you might want to start dividing them into groups of 10 (or maybe 20 if you want to speed things up).  So, you roll initiative, and one human group attacks an orc group, and roll a single attack roll.  They hit the orc group's AC and all of the orcs are killed in the group (the 10 warriors kill 10 HD or orcs).  This type of fight is really straight forward.

In another example, maybe the warriors are attacking a bunch of gnolls (2 HD).  Now, if you divide the gnolls into groups of 10, any successful attack from a group of gnolls will kill 10 warriors.  If a group of 10 warriors hit the gnolls, they only kill 5, because the gnolls have 2 HD each.  This smaller group of gnolls will now only kill 5 warriors when they hit.  If two groups of 5 gnolls are near each other, you can consolidate them into a single group of 10.[/spoiler]

So, I don't know if any of that made sense, but that's the basic idea.  Of course, getting fiddly with group size can totally skew things in one side's favor.  The fewer groups you use, the more this favors the underdogs.  The more groups you use, the longer combat takes.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
stuff

dont wanna ruin it for any who didnt read....

[spoiler]i said long lives because by book 3 nearly all of the good guys are dead.  if you love longer than the dead guy, then by comparison your life is longer.  no matter what the age expectancy may be.  the point still remains that all but one of the protagonists (or at least any characters who have displayed any honor in their actions) have all died with the exception of young children. and the only villains that have died have died by treachery within their own houses. its an unfulfilling read to say the least.  but thats just my opinion. [/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
maintining the off topicness

i am finding it hard to read the game, since i have watched the series its difficult not to skip to the next book. i assume they made important changes to the original material.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.