Author Topic: Dragons and Arcane Channeling  (Read 2495 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Dragons and Arcane Channeling
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
I'm certain that the title gives away what I want to do, so let's skip the formalities.

Would this be a better option for a Dragon? Full Attack channeling with that many natural weapons would surely do some damage, turning Dragons from supertanks with buffs into down-right terrifying foes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Dragons and Arcane Channeling
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure it would be all that great, though, as you would be tanking the inherent sorcerer casting to get the needed 13 levels of Duskblade. Although, by that point, with the duskblade casting the dragon would have, it would be interesting.

Actually, I doubt it. If we could get it without dumping the sorcerer casting it would be much better. I just don't think Duskblade has enough channel-able spells for the arcane channeling to be worth it.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure it would be all that great, though, as you would be tanking the inherent sorcerer casting to get the needed 13 levels of Duskblade. Although, by that point, with the duskblade casting the dragon would have, it would be interesting.

Actually, I doubt it. If we could get it without dumping the sorcerer casting it would be much better. I just don't think Duskblade has enough channel-able spells for the arcane channeling to be worth it.

I mean like an alternate feature. Drop the fear aura in exchange for a scaling Arcane Channeling.

The main reason I eve brought this up is because I've seen some DMs do some very stupid things with Dragons (like Unbuffed Ancient Red 1v18 when the 1 was trapped underground, and then expected it to win).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »
Spellsword or something grants it at level 4.  (3/day, losing two caster levels, but it's another option)
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

Andras

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »
What about the feat Arcane Strike from CW? It effects all your natural attacks for 1 round.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Spellsword or something grants it at level 4.  (3/day, losing two caster levels, but it's another option)
What about the feat Arcane Strike from CW? It effects all your natural attacks for 1 round.

Both of you completely missed the point of this thread...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

Both of you completely missed the point of this thread...

Tends to happen quite a lot in the D&D Deliberations section, I've noticed.  :(

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 02:17:58 AM »
Would it be a better option?  It would make running a dragon SIMPLER, to be sure.  And the fewer moving parts, the less likely it is that you'd miss something--and I've GMed enough to know that simpler is generally more useful than more flexible in terms of running something.
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:34:12 AM »
The idea was to use the duskblade's channeling to spread single target buff spells around the dragon's minions. It doesn't need more damage or accuracy anyway.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:11:45 AM »
Well, if it's in exchange for the fear aura, that definitely sounds like a tasty powerup. Gets downright mean with the right spells, like AC'ed Harm, or Night's Caress.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 03:33:13 AM »
I dunno, Full attack channelling (which is what I think you are suggesting) seems a lot more powerful than fear aura, perhaps taking a leaf out of DoE and make it something similar to a Sovereign archetype? Dropping the HD and/or loosing access to non-arcane spells (IE loosing access to the cleric list or domain access if the dragon have it)