Author Topic: Help me with a melee in low magic land  (Read 12497 times)

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Help me with a melee in low magic land
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
Looking at DR for golems, demons, and Elementals of around our levels, they have between 5 and 10 DR, and each attack I do will be doing maybe 1d10 + 11 before sneak attack (which doesn't work on golems and elementals), which puts the damage through DR10 at somewhere between 2 and 11 with each attack, if all hit (which rarely happens), I get between 10 and 55 damage, where as with an Elder Mountain Hammer, I do 1d10 + 11 +6d6, bypassing DR and hardness, which gives me a damage range of 18-57, and that is one attack at max bonus, rather than one at max, three at -2, and one at -5, not even going to try with the bite, 1d4+1 won't get past 10DR no matter how you slice it.

I think I will keep some stone dragon maneuvers known, but not have them in a standard loadout, load as many as I have if I see a battlefield full of golems or something.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »
And you get that once per combat without adaptive style.  Decent damage, but not amazing.  Grab one in your lower level nonreadied to get out of prison though.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2008, 09:38:46 PM »
if you could fit them in .... there are 2 feats that are very helpful vs DR:

Water Splitting Stone[General, Fighter](PH2 p85)req:Dexterity 13, Wisdom 13, Base Attack Bonus +9, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Monk 6th
If you hit with an Unarmed Strike and its damage would be reduced due to Damage Reduction, receive a +4
bonus to damage (i.e., ignore 4 points of Damage Reduction).

also .....

Sense Weakness

Nodaisho

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »
I don't quite understand adaptive style. Does it let you re-select your maneuvers, and have all of them ready? Or are you still going to be missing some?

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »
You select new set of readied maneuvers but only takes one round.  It's a quick way to get Swordsage maneuvers back. 

The issue with constructs and undead is why I also mentioned swifthunter as a good option.

Sense Weakness as pointed out would also be great, especially in low magic game.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Nodaisho

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Swift hunter is the feat that lets you stack ranger and scout levels for skirmish and favored enemy, right? I assume you mean picking up favored enemy for the crit-immune with that?

One thing I like about the straight swordsage build is the high initiator level, but I don't like the low fort saves and the penalty I would take further on if I were to take levels in another non PrC class. I like how skirmish damage will be on all my attacks as long as I move, but I have limited maneuvers that allow me to take a full attack after a move, scout seems more like a good set-up for a dervish build.

Thinking about magic items, what do I need to make sure to have? So far I have a limited bonus to hide and move silently, a bonus to dex, to wis, blur at will, and a +1 AoMF. That leaves me with just a couple thousand to spend, but if I need to, I can drop something.