Author Topic: First time building a Artificer 15th level.  (Read 2031 times)

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
First time building a Artificer 15th level.
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Okay I'm trying to make a 15th level Artificer, and I have previously have never made one of any level except level 1 so I'm a little lost on how to optimize it.
Race: I'm thinking Human,Warforged, or Whisper Gnome. Dragonborn if needed.
Class:Artificer 15, of Artificer 14 if the extra exp is needed. We will start with exp half way to the next level so 8,000 exp base plus half of the crafting reserve total of level 1-14, and full for level 14. For a total of 11,800exp for crafting purposes.
200,000gp to start with.
All most all 3.5 books are open, and certain 3.0 stuff as well. Savage species, is open, A&EG I think is open, but Strongholder Build's Guild is closed.
Current Feat Progression
Artificer's crafting feats:As normal

Flaw Apprentice(Craftsman)
Flaw
1 Extend Spell
3 Magical Artisan(Wonderous item)
6 Persist Spell
9 Twin Spell
12 Favored in the Guild(Arcane)
15 Empower Spell
Artificer Bonus Feats
4 Extraordinary Artisan
8 Legendary Artisan
12 Extra rings.

One thing I'm going to try to do it get a few CL 25 scrolls of Shapechange and use the Metamagic Completion ability to Persist it when needed. It only takes getting a UMD mod of +55.

Items: This is the part where I am the most lost.

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: First time building a Artificer 15th level.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »
Well, I have created many artificers though some I have never really played to higher levels.  However, What sort of role do you want to do?, Wandificer AKA Blastificer ?.  There is a handbook about creating an Artificer in the handbook section.

I suggest going blaster.  Go warforged, Wand Shealth Attachment, grab a shield to hide behind, and use spells that have RAY or RANGE TOUCH.  Magic Missle, Orb of Force thats a good one.  Just use a Wand of Orb of Force and THEN! hide behind a very big shield lol.  Grab Spot and Listen even if they are crossclass skills, then grab the face attachments that Add +XX to Listen and Spot.  Grab the Feats, Empower, Reach (forthose pesky touch spells with no range to be given range), Maximize, Admixture anything that can add to your damage.  With the METAMAGIC TRIGGER you can metamagic the hell out of any wand you have specifically if they are damage related.  BUT! you drain more Charges from Said wand.  So just try not to drain the charges unless your group needs you to expend a wand to save your group :).

the_shadowmind

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
I was more thinking of a CoDzilla like build. An Artzilla build if you would.
Bite of the Werebear is a 6th level Druid spell, so it can be put in a Schema. Metamagic Spell Completion, can add Persist to it for a DC 56, or a +46 mod while taking 10. Easily do about with two or more +skill items, and using Item Alteration Infusion. With a Int score of 26 after the +6 item, that gives the Artificer 10 uses of Metamagic Spell Completion a day. With the +skill infusion, getting a UMD check of over 100 for a short time is certainly possible.  The Unoffical guide(3.0) doesn't get much into detail of how to abuse this outside of blasting.
Divine Power might be a good spell to put in a wand to persist as needed. Or maybe another Schema since that would cost less in the long run.
Greater Blink might be another good persist target. With the number of Schemas that will be needed, maybe replacing extra rings with Craft Minor Schema might be a good idea.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
I always did like making some returning spell storing aurorum dye arrows (ranged touch attack buffing/debuffing as an attack action). There are some REALLY nice low-level buffs for wizards that are useful all the way into high levels.

Fill every arrow with spells each night, and go crazy from afar with your specially-prepared splitting bow.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
If you're thinking about persisting shapechange, infusing doomwarding weapons should definitely be on the table.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

borg286

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
Fell drain + wand of magic missile (CL 9) can result in a great cheap no-roll debuff.  If I have the preperation I like to twin it(metamagic item) so 5 foes have 2 negative levels, -2 to their saves, attacks, -10 HP and their top 2 spells... with no chance of getting out of it and all you expended was an action and 3 charges.  Even without preperation a negative level is nothing to scoff at.

It also gives you the best bang for the buck for damage / gp

If you're trying to get a sky high UMD check, item familiar gives amazing results (double your ranks).

I recommend getting a Dragonbone Golem.  Having a magic-immune golem is always valuable. [spoiler] At the beginning of the day your team must sit in fear of the dragon until they suceed on a DC 20 will save, afterwhich they're fine being around the big lumbering mass.  To foes that first encounter it when they fail their DC 20 will save they are shaken for as long as they stay within 60' and 2d6 rounds thereafter.  This only affects monsters of 20 HD or less.[/spoiler]

I prefer human vs. warforged and halfling due to the extra feat, but I'd go strongheart halfing any day.

I also recommend etch schema so you can make a schema of metamagic item, then use it to apply persist to a couple buff wands and pass the joy around.  I like to persist that ranger 1st level spell(Linked Perception) that gives you a cumulative +2 to spot and listen for each party member in your party.  Recitation for +2 luck bonus, because who has that already? and Wraithstrike for easy hitting

Leadership cheese for a wizard so you don't have to spend all your precious gold on casting spells.

Go full artificer.  You need the access to higher level spells quicker.  You get 9th level spells if you go arty 15.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:42:17 PM »
I'd try to go Arty 15 if I can, but if the item costs get to high then dropping to Arty 14 because of exp costs is a likely possibility.
Metamagic Item infusion it a good one for Wands and Staff, but not completely sure which spells for blasting or decent buffs to craft.
Etch Schema will be fit into the build due to the number of good spells that are good persist targets, and getting a high UMD makes persisting up to 9th level spells possible.
A Weapon/Item of Legacy is a possible item to get, for the Cunning Property so you always get immediate actions.

Any "spells" from nonstandard casters a good option? Like Bolster from Shadowcaster(uncraftable by artificer). Truenamer stuff is useless since items crafted only effect the specific target they were crafted for(that is beyond dumb). There probably a few good psionic items that might be useful.