Author Topic: Build help. Cleric, i think. 3-10th and beyond.  (Read 1202 times)

jeffrie

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • nondescript young man over there for hire.
    • Email
Build help. Cleric, i think. 3-10th and beyond.
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:01:35 PM »
My 19yr old son is back in town, and he and my 10yr old son and i will be starting a new 3.5 campaign. We will only be using the core and the complete adventurer, so we are nice and limited. We have been playing forever, but are really just not that good compared to most COPs.

The 10yr old is a barbarian half orc, chaotic neutral. The 19yr old is a scout. I will likely be 'forced' to take a spellcaster and probably a cleric. I usually play the skillmonkey/multiclasser so am leaning a bit, but might avoid my usual lyrist tendencies (since we will likely never play to the point of using lyrist effectively). I can barely see building a character without my skills. . . but i KNOW that a battle cleric is a thing to behold.

I would consider bard all the way, but these kids just aren't good enough to play without a cleric (heh).

So what about rogue1 or bard1 and cleric the rest of the way? or is that just dumb? and what's your favorite handbook for mid level clerics?

What are the 'best' domains to get? why?

AAAANNNNNDDD . . .

Does it make sense for a neutral cleric to take positive energy (healing), yet destruction domain (harm)?

The question is; how good are high level harm spells? because destruction domain could let me convert all spells to harm spells, right? and, is there a way for a cleric to deliver spontaneous harm spells at ranged touch?
"That's one for the good guys.
Current score: Evil 923,472,810, Good 1."

-Kuroimaken

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Build help. Cleric, i think. 3-10th and beyond.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:28:44 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

Sadly the book choice doesn't add much to a cleric and the best option for Clerics (Divine Metamagic) is not available.  Also, I wouldn't focus too much on inflict spells or damage in general.  Controlling the battlefield and buffing/debuffing tends to be the much more powerful options.  The other guys can do the damage, your role as the only caster will be everything else.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
Well ... the 10 year old is gonna screw up a few times, and he can't "screw" up too often.
Stealth buffing his PC is a good idea.
Full on C.O.-ing dropped into the middle of this, might be unbalancing

Clerics can buff as Reb72 said.
Rogue or Feat Rogue 1 / Cleric X works fine.

Bard does get a little Healy stuff, and buffing is the point of the class.
As long as the DM isn't going all Gygax on the party ... it'll do.

Mrrob143

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
Over on the wotc boards, there is a little handbook for the cloistered cleric. In the builds section, it outlines an "Initiate of Milil" build, which allows you to stack bard and cleric for music known basically... you could always pick up some extra music, and go to town! Take a peek, and see if that's something you'd be interested in. I was playing a similar build until recently, and no doubt you get most of the bard goodies and all the cleric spells you're after.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the feat is in a book called Champions of Valor. It might be worth a try to get your DM to let you use it, allowing you to build a character the party needs/ you will enjoy playing and role-playing.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:51:01 PM by Mrrob143 »