Author Topic: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin  (Read 218186 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Re: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin
« Reply #520 on: July 17, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
JaronK, if you wanted to add both metamagic rod abilities onto a single rod, you could use both on a single spell if you wanted to. After all, it's two feats, but still only one rod, which segues neatly with the rod's rules text.

It just costs a small amount more.

Nah, honestly it was such a quick and dirty build that I threw together a few things that seemed useful.  If I was really going to get into it, I'd have gotten more useful gear.

@Shiz: It's in the page before this one, I think.  CR 12 Adept with an Imp familiar.  Designed to craft items for a party, have his familiar handle most social stuff, build things, and be a minion master.  Here, I'll put him up there again (note that he shouldn't be combining the rod effects into a single casting):

[spoiler]Herbert the Somewhat Special (25 Point Buy)
Lawful Neutral Human Adept 12 (68hp)
BAB 6, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +14
Str 9, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 23, Cha 8
Feats:  Alertness, Corpse Crafter, Craft Wondrous Items, Improved Familiar, Mother Cyst,  Nimble Bones
Skills:  Craft Armorsmithing +10, Concentration +15, Handle Animal +10, Knowledge (The Religion) +10

Minions:

Familiar:  Imp
Tiny Outsider, 12 HD, 34hp, Init +3, Spd 20 Fly 50 (perfect), AC 26 (Touch 15, Flat Foot 23), BAB +6, Grapple -5, Attack +11 Melee (1d4 + Poison, Sting), Darkvision 60, Deliver Touch Speels, DR 5/good or silver, Fast Healing 2, Immunity to Poison, Improved Evasion, Resistance to Fire 5, Speak with Master, For +4, Ref +7, Will +7, Str 10, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 14, Diplomacy +8, Hide +17, Knowledge The Planes +6, Listen +7, Move Silently +9, Search +6, Spellcraft +6, Spot +7, Survival +1, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Poison (DC 16, 1d4 Dex, 2d4 Dex), At Will Detect Good Detect Magic Invisibility (Self Only), 1/day Suggestion CL 6.  Commune 1/week 6 questions.  Alternate form into one or two forms (technically this could be anything up to Medium size, including Dwarf Ancestors and other such nonsense.  But I'll assume from the examples they meant any animal, so how about a Legendary Ape or Legendary Eagle?).  SR 17, Empathic Link

2 Nine Headed Zombie Hydras wearing crafted Mithral Chain Shirt Barding (900gp, 2400gp for crafted mithral armor)
2 Necrosis Carnexes wearing crafted Mithral Chain Shirts (400g in Cold Iron Bands, 800gp for crafted Mithral armor)
A few assorted big warbeast animals as appropriate to the campaign (dinosaurs, dire animals, or whatever other big war creatures are available, preferably Magebreed).

Items:  Lesser Metamagic Wand of Empower (9kgp), Lesser Metamagic Wand of Maximize (14kgp), Heward's Handy Haversack (2kgp), Orange Ioun Stone (15kgp), 2 4th level Pearls of Power (16kgp), 2 Second Level Pearls of Power (4kgp), Periapt of Wisdom +4 (16kgp), Mithral Chain Shirt (400gp), Deadwalker's Ring (2kgp), Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind (3kgp, get one of the save maneuvers)
Wealth 2.1kgp left over for whatever

Basic tactics:  walk around with the Hydras flanking him (with standing orders as before to attack anyone who attacks his party or anyone who his party attacks), Carnexes ordered to heal his minions and otherwise stay out of the line of fire, any animals trained to attack (and to not freak out around the undead).  When possible, use Necrotic Cysts followed by Necrotic Dominations to control potential allies and downed (but not killed) enemies.  Against this dragon, use both metamagic wands to fire a Scorching Ray if it gets too close, which will do 108+9d6 damage (two hits should kill it).  If it's out of range, web it so the zombies can come kill it.  Since White Dragons like to get up close and personal, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Note that there may be further minions here... animals are possible, as are dominated allies.  But I wasn't sure what to go with here.

And yes, this guy could solo the dragon, which has no attacks long range enough to effectively strafe safely.  Heck, he brings quite a party with him (dependent on what he manages to dominate).  I assume that's good enough?  And before anyone freaks out about the crafting... please see the DMG, which explicitly states in the section on starting above 1st level that you can craft gear at discounted price before the game starts.[/spoiler]

JaronK

For the Imp's alternate form there is actually a restrictive list: "Alternate Form (Su)
An imp can assume another form at will as a standard action. Each imp can assume one or two forms from the following list: Small or Medium monstrous spider, raven, rat, and boar."

Besides that, all the minions and items seem fine, I have no problem with crafting (How the hell do you expect the Artificer to be worth anything otherwise?) Let's assume for the sake of argument that you only have the Zombies (accessable easily by class spells) and not the myriad groups of warbeasts, not because I think they are unlikely, but to show a worst-case scenario for Giacomo.

Ok, so a Mature Adult White (CR 12) will have DR 10/ Magic and cast as a 3rd level sorcerer (Who the hell designed this progression? Wouldn't it make more sense to go 2 +2N with sorcerer casting?) which basically just means first level spells. He has SR 20, which could be increased with feats but you have a CL of 13, so it would be a waste to try to pump it overmuch. Your Hydras are not going to be much help unbuffed as they don't bypass his DR and 1d10+6 averages out to 1.5 damage a round per bite that hits. He could probably tank them if not for the Scorching Ray death. A chained Greater Magic Fang or Magic Fang would counter this.

It's only shot at countering you I could see would involve Blindsense, Fog Cloud or equivalent, and/or strafing with Entangling Exhalation breath weapon. Damage over time would be middling to useless, but a slow effect could slowly wear down your zombies if it had any way to counter the Scorching Ray death that you bring. It has a Touch AC of 8 and not even enough caster levels for a Mirror Image. Of course, if it could have it's loot as magic items that would change things as well. But your build seems to me to be capable of taking down the White Dragon handily even if I built it specifically to counter you, given the constraints. If it had some way to mitigate or counter the Fire damage or the touch attack of the ray, it would likely be able to win, however. Hmm, Charm Person to get a few low-will save allies is the only thing I can think of he could exploit, but most classes that would fail a will that low (It has 12 CHA, DC 12.) would be either useless or pushing the bounds of credibility.

Wait... Nerveskitter, if he wins Initiative he can Grapple you at +37 and likely tank the Hydras and others long enough to kill you the round after. Even if he loses initiative, he might take just enough from the Scorching Ray to still allow him to tank the Hydras long enough to Grapple you. At that point it's basically over.

So, which monk are you against?

Jaronk has money left over and should have bought Anklets of Translocation.  Problem resolved?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #521 on: July 17, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »

The Imp is the one that's there for stealth (staying outside of the range of Blindsense like any decent scout would).  He's the one who makes sure they don't get surprised (if he can).  But note that at no point does the adept give any spoken commands in the lair.  He gave two standing order commands long ago (likely days ago): attack anything that attacks the party or that the party attacks, and when not doing that stay within 30' of me.  That's it.  Plus, remember that the Adept can use Necrotic Cysts to command various other folks, so there's actually quite a number of dominated individuals walking around with him that work for him and yet look like they're operating normally.  Also note that the adept is wearing the exact same sort of armor as the minions... if anything, he looks like a random minion, while whatever people he's dominated are likely to look like the primary targets.  One of them might get taken down in the surprise round (but with only one attack, I doubt that).  

If the dragon does what you said, then it charges in and attacks one person, then all the minions attack at once while it gets webbed.  Game over.

Scorching Ray does more than 60ish damage when maximized.  But again, the dragon charged and attack who it thought was the leader, and the adept doesn't look like a leader.  So then it got jumped and killed.  Also, note that with a caster level of 13, that SR 20 only helps about 1/3 of the time.

Why do I have to give commands other than standing orders to the zombies?  They're only there to attack things I attack or that attack me.  So why give any other order?  Any dominated minions I may have found are going to be free willed (relatively) so I don't have to give them orders other than "treat me as you would a party mate while we go adventuring."

Web stays a while, and I can cast more of them.  It's going to add up.  Not that it matters, because you just said he'd charge in and attack, so he gets swarm killed.

It says you can craft stuff at half price before the game starts.  I'm not sure what's so hard for you to understand about this... it's explicit.  But you're right, it's unbalancingly powerful to do this... and the Adept can do it (as can almost all casters).  Surprise surprise, more powerful classes are more powerful.

All classes can spend XP to get cheaper items (see item familiar feat), and all classes have ways to make extra money.

Ah, but the DMG doesn't have a specific "also, it's cool to make extra money."  It does have "it's cool to make magic items at discounted cost."  So, let's just go by what the rules say, okay?  As for Item Familiar, that's just one item... and I didn't use it because I was trying to make a very average optimization adept.

I did reflect the cost in the armour, the hydra armor costs 4X as much.  If I made a mistake there, it might be a touch more, but I have a good bit left over so who cares?  But yes, you can craft items and it makes stuff cheaper.  You make a good point though... to catch up with perfectly intended use of Adept abilities, a Monk would have to optimize more by taking power feats like Item Familiar.  That's because a Monk is a less powerful and versatile class.

Familiars are a class feature of adepts.  Leadership is not a class feature of Monks, nor is it even related to one.  Leadership, again, is a super powered feat, while Improved Familiar is rarely taken because it's not a huge deal.  Again, for a Monk to catch up, you must optimize far more heavily.  You're proving the point over and over.  And Improved Familiar is perfectly allowed in CW... all the various possible Improved Familiars (found in a number of books, actually) are available.

Improved Familiar does not require Arcane Caster Level in the requirements.  And the Imp doesn't have a shape list in the DMG... it says two forms up to medium size, then gives a few examples.  That's not an exhaustive list.  By RAW, anything up to medium size would work (like Dwarf Ancestors) but I bet they meant just animals.  But it doesn't really matter, as I haven't been using the shapes at all.  If I have to, I'm fine with sticking with Spider and Raven.

• As far as I know, the necrotic cysts are touch range only and allow fort saves. No big help vs the dragon (or does your adept intend to charge it and eat combat reflexes and potential bite/snatch attack doing so?).

I said I'd use it to get minions.  In other words, if we defeat an enemy at some point in the past without killing him, I'll give him a tumor (if possible) and then dominate him.  I'm not using it on the dragon unless we luck out and happen to drop him to negative HP without killing him (in which case I might give it a shot).

I said standing order to heal only if it was safe to do so, otherwise stay hidden and out of sight.  So no, it's not running out there while the dragon is breathing (but it might run out there after the dragon does so, since it's got 1d4 rounds of safety, or when the dragon is being gang jumped by minions).

Meaning no more healing afterwards. Then, in a 1d4 breath weapon/heal showdown, the two carnexes each do 2d6+2 healing to one target each per round, while all zombies (including the carnexes) take 7d6ish damage every 1+1d4 rounds.

Oh, I forgot to do the Black Sand bit.  One casting of this second level spell gives all my undead permanent 1d6 Fast Healing.  Either way, the Dragon can't do enough damage with those 7d6 shots to even threaten the zombies, so who cares?

Now you're just being dense.  The Carnexes only run out when it's good to do so... not when it's not.  If the dragon gets grappled, great, they can run around healing.  They're not running into the thick of combat.  Note also they get the usual +4 Dex and Str, and +4 HP/HD, like all of my undead.  So, they're more survivable than you might think.  And no, there's no rule saying you have to push the animals to keep them near.  You just train the stupid things (at most it takes a trick).

See, this is why people wonder if you're trolling.  You assume the Carnexes would be around debuffing the living guys instead of being kept clear of them for some reason.  I can't imagine what that reason is... they stay with the zombies, the living guys who are dominated just don't get that close to them.  And they don't move that slow, because the Zombies are all moving with a 40' move speed tirelessly.  If anything, they move FASTER than the living because they just don't stop and continue at a fast walking pace.

He's also making them magic items when needed, providing divination support for that party, scouting, buffing, and absolutely rocking out... and he doesn't penalize the party at all, because he's not stupid enough to position the Carnexes wrong.  God, this is like me criticizing you on the grounds that Flurry of Blows sucks because you're going to attack your own party with it.  Of course you won't, so why assume I'd do that to mine?

So, let's see your Monk, which I assume you're incapable of making at this point.  Remember, you have to keep up with your boasts.  Let's see what that's going to require:

1)  He must be more survivable than the zombies, because you said the zombies would die all the time due to being too fragile, and obviously that means a Monk who's not more survivable is going to die all the time.

2)  He must be more productive to the party than this Adept, because you think this Adept damages group performance.  That means he'll need to provide long term benefits (equivalent to or better than providing Wonderous Items for the party in addition to armor crafting), healing support (cures for living people, Carnex healing for undead), diplomatic abilities (the Imp), scouting abilities (the Imp), or similar stuff, only better, because we wouldn't want the Monk to be a drain on the party.

3)  He's got to contribute effectively for a party against a Mature Adult White Dragon

4)  And see if you can do it without pumping optimization well beyond what these Adepts have been doing.  Though you've already admitted you'd need stuff like Cohorts (I assume from Leadership?) and Item Familiar just to keep up, so you clearly know you're going to optimize like crazy to accomplish any of this.

Good luck!

@Shinzen: That seems like a fair analysis.  The Adept would be in real trouble if grappled instantly... he very intentionally looks much like just another minion to avoid getting instant jumped like that.  I should probably give him a pair of daggers, just so he looks like a kinda crappy Rogue and thus isn't targetted as quickly.  And yeah, I think the Hydras would just be a distraction from the main danger of Scorching Ray death, though I could order them to grapple if suddenly the opportunity arose (of course, I'm not giving that order unless they can successfully do so... no sense showing I'm the minion master early!).

JaronK

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #522 on: July 17, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
    Jaronk has money left over and should have bought Anklets of Translocation.  Problem resolved?

Assuming he affords them and they don't require a somatic component, yup that'd do it.

Freedom of Movement from a Heart of Water buff would have been my choice of counter though. I love all the Heart spells so much.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
      • Email
    « Reply #523 on: July 17, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »
    Jaronk has money left over and should have bought Anklets of Translocation.  Problem resolved?

Assuming he affords them and they don't require a somatic component, yup that'd do it.

Freedom of Movement from a Heart of Water buff would have been my choice of counter though. I love all the Heart spells so much.
    So you <3 the <3?
    [spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
    [spoiler]
    +1 Lycanthromancer
    Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
    Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
     :D
    shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
    [/spoiler]

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    « Reply #524 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
    EVEN IN THIS THREAD I have already linked a 12th level monk (and discussed it with some of them, including Lycanthromancer in another threadHerv, the somewhat-more-special-than-Herbert, 12th level human monk
    • Initiative is rolled. Advantage monk here. If he loses initiative (unlikely), an immediate action blink ACF comes up, halving the effectiveness of all dragon close range attacks (and frustrating efforts to keep grappled the monk somehow). Monk will likely survive this onslaught, even with his too low AC in this case. Then proceed to the same scenario that happens in case he wins the initiative (with immediate action blink if necessary): again two +21 attacks with snap kick, decisive strike ACF and blink. This time it should be assumed both hit for each 16d6+18 damage each, plus stuns at DC 23 each on top. This means 148 damage (total now 185) plus two more DC 15 fortitude saves for massive damage. Even at +17 fortitude save bonus, the probability to avoid failing all four of these saves is around 50%. If the dragon lost initiative, it can try its first full attack (with around 37ish damage vs the blinking monk on average), or if it won initiative try its luck (possibly killing the monk) or burrow away (possibly drawing an AoO that could be its end).

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #525 on: July 17, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
    Jaronk has money left over and should have bought Anklets of Translocation.  Problem resolved?

So you <3 the <3?

weenog

• Grape ape
    « Reply #526 on: July 17, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
    I like how the monk only manages to pretend to matter at all by way of spells monk can never provide and could not contribute enough to earn without already having them.
    "We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
    "That sounds like a victory to me."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
    « Reply #527 on: July 17, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
    Out of curiosity, does anyone believe that Giacomo's build (complete with Item Familiars and retraining and ACFs) is "equivalent optimization" to the Adept?

JaronK

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
      • Email
    « Reply #528 on: July 17, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
    The item familiar in that monk build is blatantly against the rules.

1) The added +1 equivalent ability (Warning) can't be added to an amulet.
    Quote from: SRD, Item Familiars
    Armor, Shield, or Weapon Special Ability
    Prerequisite
    The item familiar must be a type of magic armor, a magic shield, or a magic weapon.

2) It is not half cost if you can't do the crafting yourself
    Quote from: SRD, Item Familiars
    Improving An Item Familiar
    An item familiar can be improved as other magic items can be. By spending gold pieces (and time and experience points, assuming the character is the one doing the work), a character can add new abilities to his item familiar. If a character links himself to a +1 longsword, for example, it only costs 6,000 gp (or 3,000 gp and 240 XP) to add another +1 of enhancement bonus or, perhaps, a special ability that is equivalent to a +1 bonus (such as spell storing or flaming). The character can accomplish this even without having the requisite item creation feats.

And as an aside to all that, the adepts should remember to grab their free domain, courtesy of Eberron. For all your lightning train needs.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
    • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
    « Reply #529 on: July 17, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
    Out of curiosity, does anyone believe that Giacomo's build (complete with Item Familiars and retraining and ACFs) is "equivalent optimization" to the Adept?

JaronK
    Not at all.  I personally love the part where he tries to Grapple and ends up getting his arm bitten half-off since he provokes an AoO and thus wastes his entire turn.

Yeah, you know, this issue?

Quote from: SRD, Grapple
    Step 1
    Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to grapple. If the attack of opportunity deals damage, the grapple attempt fails. (Certain monsters do not provoke attacks of opportunity when they attempt to grapple, nor do characters with the Improved Grapple feat.) If the attack of opportunity misses or fails to deal damage, proceed to Step 2.

And how is he planning on regularly beating a +37 grapple check again?  Best I can see, his bonus is only +24 (with all of his buffing, +9 BAB, +4 size, +6 Str (including size bonus to Str), +5 morale, although technically Grapple isn't a Str check, so this RAW is a no-go), so he's going to fail a hell of a lot.  His Trip vs. the dragon is generally going to be +23...which the dragon has +20 to resist, so while his Monk actually has the advantage here, it's nowhere near a sure thing.  If he fails with his 1/encounter manuver, then he's down to +19 and the Dragon has the advantage.

I also love how it's "more durable" than the AC 24, 156hp zombies.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:28:41 PM by snakeman830 »
    I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
    By yes, she means no.
    That explains so much about my life.
    hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
    Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
    [/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
      • Email
    « Reply #530 on: July 17, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
    I can understand 1 or 2 ACFs for 'low optimization,' but how many is he using again?
    [spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
    [spoiler]
    +1 Lycanthromancer
    Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
    Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
     :D
    shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
    [/spoiler]

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #531 on: July 17, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
    EVEN IN THIS THREAD I have already linked a 12th level monk (and discussed it with some of them, including Lycanthromancer in another threadHerv, the somewhat-more-special-than-Herbert, 12th level human monk
    • Initiative is rolled. Advantage monk here. If he loses initiative (unlikely), an immediate action blink ACF comes up, halving the effectiveness of all dragon close range attacks (and frustrating efforts to keep grappled the monk somehow). Monk will likely survive this onslaught, even with his too low AC in this case. Then proceed to the same scenario that happens in case he wins the initiative (with immediate action blink if necessary): again two +21 attacks with snap kick, decisive strike ACF and blink. This time it should be assumed both hit for each 16d6+18 damage each, plus stuns at DC 23 each on top. This means 148 damage (total now 185) plus two more DC 15 fortitude saves for massive damage. Even at +17 fortitude save bonus, the probability to avoid failing all four of these saves is around 50%. If the dragon lost initiative, it can try its first full attack (with around 37ish damage vs the blinking monk on average), or if it won initiative try its luck (possibly killing the monk) or burrow away (possibly drawing an AoO that could be its end).

Alright. Lets's take a look here:

On Sneaking and Surprise: You do not have the Darkstalker feat. The dragon has Blindsense. You cannot sneak up on it under any circumstances once you enter the radius of it's Blindsense, so you have no chance of surprising it. You do still get the 50% miss chance if you are invisible. I do agree the dragon cannot and would not bother to hide from you.

On Initiative: As I mentioned in the previous post, the dragon has Nerveskitter, this is a first level spell which grants +5 to Initiative. As it has 7 or 8 feats which can't really help it much (Beyond the obvious Multiattack, Flyby Attack, Power Attack, Recover Breath and Entangling Exhalation or other metabreath) it could take improved init as well to make it's modifier +9.

On Tactics: Your Reflex save starts off at +11. The basic DC for the Dragon's breath weapon is 25, giving you a 13/20 or 65% chance to fail. Because you gave up your Evasion, you are always going to take some damage, so even if you pass you take half damage and are Entangled from it's Entangling Exhalation feat for the next 1d4 rounds, and it recharges it's breath in 1d4-1 rounds. With the -4 Dex from entangled, your Reflex and AC both drop by 2, as do your attack rolls, and your movement speed is cut in half. At this point the Dragon can merely keep flying 250 feet up, fly down within 50 feet of the ground, breathe, and fly back up every time it can breathe until you die. You don't seem to have any ranged or flying options that can reach it at 250ft. Alternatively, he can Grapple you at +39 to which your bonus while enlarged is, assuming use of the Torc, +24. Also for his trip, He has a +8 from Str, +12 from size, +8 from size and +4 from having more than 2 legs (as described in Trip so 20 yes, but why in the hell would he ever be walking? He's a dragon in an open cave, you can't trip something that is flying, and with Flyby Attack he never needs to touch the ground. He can hover 15 feet up and still hit you with every attack.

In one full round attack, either of you is going to be doing an enormous amount of damage to the other. Your damage is superior, but he has significantly more attacks, is much more resilient, and finds it much easier to hit you. A Huge dragon's attack action with multiattack is: Bite/2 Claws/2 Wings/Tailslap, +27/+25/+25/+25/+25/+25. Let's Power Attack for 9, hitting you on everything but a 1 for a total of 2d8+17, 2(2d6+13), 2(1d8+13), 2d6+21. 4d8+4d6+90, which almost double (avg. 124) kills you in one full attack action, so you likely die even with your 50% miss chance. There is a reason people don't like going toe to toe with dragons.

On Party Assistance: Everything you mentioned: Stunning Opponents, teleporting allies, sneaking, battlefield control, and Diplomacy can be done equally or better by the Adept using his skills or the proper spells which exist on his spell list. His stuns and possible use of poison is a good idea, but can only target one saving throw (Fortitude) which is the strongest save on all monsters on average after CR 8. The Adept can target Reflex (Web for example) Fort and Will, thereby selecting the opponent's weakest save to strike, giving him more tactical options. You have very little to counter a flying opponent with ranged attacks.

It is entirely possible that you could kill this dragon in single combat. However, not nearly as easily as JaronK's adept can (2 touch attacks against AC 8), and it would require much more on you getting lucky with a few significantly important dice rolls / being in an area tailored to support you and not the dragon.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:41:12 PM by Shinzen »

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
    « Reply #532 on: July 17, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
    This thread lowers your IQ by 1 point for every page that you read.
    Hi Welcome
    [spoiler]
    Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Halinn

• Email
    « Reply #533 on: July 17, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
    I'm just waiting in anticipation for when SG claims that Shinzen's post means that he wins.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
    • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
    « Reply #534 on: July 17, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
    *psst, Shinzen, Huge size only grants +8 on those checks, not +12*
    I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
    By yes, she means no.
    That explains so much about my life.
    hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
    Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
    [/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #535 on: July 17, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
    *psst, Shinzen, Huge size only grants +8 on those checks, not +12*

Whoops, my bad. Fixing.

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    « Reply #536 on: July 17, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
    The Imp is the one that's there for stealth (staying outside of the range of Blindsense like any decent scout would).  He's the one who makes sure they don't get surprised (if he can).
    But note that at no point does the adept give any spoken commands in the lair.

No, of course not ??

He gave two standing order commands long ago (likely days ago): attack anything that attacks the party or that the party attacks, and when not doing that stay within 30' of me.  That's it.

Quote from the SRD on the animate dead spell outlining how you command them: remain in an area and attack
    Plus, remember that the Adept can use Necrotic Cysts to command various other folks, so there's actually quite a number of dominated individuals walking around with him that work for him and yet look like they're operating normally.  Also note that the adept is wearing the exact same sort of armor as the minions... if anything, he looks like a random minion, while whatever people he's dominated are likely to look like the primary targets.  One of them might get taken down in the surprise round (but with only one attack, I doubt that). 
    If the dragon does what you said, then it charges in and attacks one person, then all the minions attack at once while it gets webbed.  Game over.

Yup, one person. The one that gives orders. It can hear/spot the zombie group from far away. It can shadow them to find more about them. Then it strikes.
    Also, you do not really think that the dragon will not survive after it took out the wrong guy, do you? It can have flyby attack (another favourite dragon feat), might use fog cloud before on the guy (thus providing it with total concealment attacking him) etc.

Scorching Ray does more than 60ish damage when maximized.  But again, the dragon charged and attack who it thought was the leader, and the adept doesn't look like a leader.  So then it got jumped and killed.  Also, note that with a caster level of 13, that SR 20 only helps about 1/3 of the time.

Yes, SR lowers damage by 1/3 as I said. Then please also use the appropriate adjustment to your expected damage output.
    Also, who looks more a leader: the strange carnexes and hydras that never say or do anything? Or the guy walking around and looking like the humanoids the dragon may have already seen in his life?

Why do I have to give commands other than standing orders to the zombies?  They're only there to attack things I attack or that attack me.  So why give any other order?  Any dominated minions I may have found are going to be free willed (relatively) so I don't have to give them orders other than "treat me as you would a party mate while we go adventuring."
    Web stays a while, and I can cast more of them.  It's going to add up.  Not that it matters, because you just said he'd charge in and attack, so he gets swarm killed.
    It says you can craft stuff at half price before the game starts.  I'm not sure what's so hard for you to understand about this... it's explicit.  But you're right, it's unbalancingly powerful to do this... and the Adept can do it (as can almost all casters).  Surprise surprise, more powerful classes are more powerful.

And I am not sure what is so hard for you to understand about wbl limits. Again (surprise!): ALL classes can do this trick. ALL classes can use skills and feats (not even item creation feats) to gain more money than from their usual adventuring. The fighter crafts, the rogue steals, the monk tumble-performs, all can get ancestral weapons or item familiars. The wbl limit should, however, be used in build comparisons.

Ah, but the DMG doesn't have a specific "also, it's cool to make extra money."  It does have "it's cool to make magic items at discounted cost."  So, let's just go by what the rules say, okay?  As for Item Familiar, that's just one item... and I didn't use it because I was trying to make a very average optimization adept.
    I did reflect the cost in the armour, the hydra armor costs 4X as much.  If I made a mistake there, it might be a touch more, but I have a good bit left over so who cares?

The huge armour costs for non-humanoid creatures has a factor of x8 (SRD). But for someone playing without wbl limit this certainly does not matter, you are right here.

But yes, you can craft items and it makes stuff cheaper.  You make a good point though... to catch up with perfectly intended use of Adept abilities, a Monk would have to optimize more by taking power feats like Item Familiar.  That's because a Monk is a less powerful and versatile class.
    Familiars are a class feature of adepts.  Leadership is not a class feature of Monks, nor is it even related to one.  Leadership, again, is a super powered feat, while Improved Familiar is rarely taken because it's not a huge deal.  Again, for a Monk to catch up, you must optimize far more heavily.  You're proving the point over and over.  And Improved Familiar is perfectly allowed in CW... all the various possible Improved Familiars (found in a number of books, actually) are available.
    Improved Familiar does not require Arcane Caster Level in the requirements.  And the Imp doesn't have a shape list in the DMG... it says two forms up to medium size, then gives a few examples.  That's not an exhaustive list.  By RAW, anything up to medium size would work (like Dwarf Ancestors) but I bet they meant just animals.  But it doesn't really matter, as I haven't been using the shapes at all.  If I have to, I'm fine with sticking with Spider and Raven.

Please. Shenzen also already corrected you in this alternate form thing. Also, I would not use the RAW for the arcane caster requirement as a DM, but it is unfortunately there for the imp form (see the table).

I said I'd use it to get minions.  In other words, if we defeat an enemy at some point in the past without killing him, I'll give him a tumor (if possible) and then dominate him.  I'm not using it on the dragon unless we luck out and happen to drop him to negative HP without killing him (in which case I might give it a shot).
    I said standing order to heal only if it was safe to do so, otherwise stay hidden and out of sight.  So no, it's not running out there while the dragon is breathing (but it might run out there after the dragon does so, since it's got 1d4 rounds of safety, or when the dragon is being gang jumped by minions).
    Oh, I forgot to do the Black Sand bit.  One casting of this second level spell gives all my undead permanent 1d6 Fast Healing.  Either way, the Dragon can't do enough damage with those 7d6 shots to even threaten the zombies, so who cares?
    Now you're just being dense.  The Carnexes only run out when it's good to do so... not when it's not.  If the dragon gets grappled, great, they can run around healing.  They're not running into the thick of combat.  Note also they get the usual +4 Dex and Str, and +4 HP/HD, like all of my undead.  So, they're more survivable than you might think.  And no, there's no rule saying you have to push the animals to keep them near.  You just train the stupid things (at most it takes a trick).
    See, this is why people wonder if you're trolling.  You assume the Carnexes would be around debuffing the living guys instead of being kept clear of them for some reason.  I can't imagine what that reason is... they stay with the zombies, the living guys who are dominated just don't get that close to them.  And they don't move that slow, because the Zombies are all moving with a 40' move speed tirelessly.  If anything, they move FASTER than the living because they just don't stop and continue at a fast walking pace.
    He's also making them magic items when needed, providing divination support for that party, scouting, buffing, and absolutely rocking out... and he doesn't penalize the party at all, because he's not stupid enough to position the Carnexes wrong.  God, this is like me criticizing you on the grounds that Flurry of Blows sucks because you're going to attack your own party with it.  Of course you won't, so why assume I'd do that to mine?
    So, let's see your Monk, which I assume you're incapable of making at this point.  Remember, you have to keep up with your boasts.  Let's see what that's going to require:

1)  He must be more survivable than the zombies, because you said the zombies would die all the time due to being too fragile, and obviously that means a Monk who's not more survivable is going to die all the time.

2)  He must be more productive to the party than this Adept, because you think this Adept damages group performance.  That means he'll need to provide long term benefits (equivalent to or better than providing Wonderous Items for the party in addition to armor crafting), healing support (cures for living people, Carnex healing for undead), diplomatic abilities (the Imp), scouting abilities (the Imp), or similar stuff, only better, because we wouldn't want the Monk to be a drain on the party.

3)  He's got to contribute effectively for a party against a Mature Adult White Dragon

4)  And see if you can do it without pumping optimization well beyond what these Adepts have been doing.  Though you've already admitted you'd need stuff like Cohorts (I assume from Leadership?) and Item Familiar just to keep up, so you clearly know you're going to optimize like crazy to accomplish any of this.

Good luck!

Mission accomplished (see my build above).

@Shinzen: That seems like a fair analysis.  The Adept would be in real trouble if grappled instantly... he very intentionally looks much like just another minion to avoid getting instant jumped like that.  I should probably give him a pair of daggers, just so he looks like a kinda crappy Rogue and thus isn't targetted as quickly.  And yeah, I think the Hydras would just be a distraction from the main danger of Scorching Ray death, though I could order them to grapple if suddenly the opportunity arose (of course, I'm not giving that order unless they can successfully do so... no sense showing I'm the minion master early!).

JaronK
    • The item familiar can be any item. Check out the SRD.
    • Also, see above what I have to see on item familiar and item creation comparison. They have the same effect, they should be treated the same.
    • And if you still have no clue what the monk makes so much more durable and better than a non-intelligent automaton with single actions and no miss chances nor special maneuvers nor anything to survive at high levels, I cannot help you.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
    « Reply #537 on: July 17, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
    Sir Giacomo, Dungeon Master's Guide, page 199, 'Creating PCs Above 1st Level: Character Created Magic Items:' states: 'A PC spellcaster created at a level higher than 1st can use any of the XP and gp you have awarded to make magic items, provided that she has the proper item creation feats and prerequisites'.

Halinn

• Email
    « Reply #538 on: July 17, 2011, 10:57:43 PM »
    • Also, see above what I have to see on item familiar and item creation comparison. They have the same effect, they should be treated the same.
    • And if you still have no clue what the monk makes so much more durable and better than a non-intelligent automaton with single actions and no miss chances nor special maneuvers nor anything to survive at high levels, I cannot help you.

1) It can be any item, but some of the abilities you can add to it have prerequisites. You seemingly just tried to ignore that
    2) They're not saying that the monk is winning because it is heavily optimized. They are arguing that the monk is losing, in spite of being more optimized.
    3) They do not have the same effect. See the quote I provided earlier, where it says that you still have to pay for it.
    4) The zombies have higher AC and hit points. They also have damage reduction. These zombies would lose alone against the dragon, but the point is not if the animate dead spell can defeat it, but if the adept, including said castings of animate dead can. Given that the zombies have a fair impact on the tactics of the dragon (it probably the loses the option of going within reach of the adept and full-attacking him), it might happen.

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #539 on: July 17, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »

1) It can be any item, but some of the abilities you can add to it have prerequisites. You seemingly just tried to ignore that
    2) They're not saying that the monk is winning because it is heavily optimized. They are arguing that the monk is losing, in spite of being more optimized.
    3) They do not have the same effect. See the quote I provided earlier, where it says that you still have to pay for it.
    4) The zombies have higher AC and hit points. They also have damage reduction. These zombies would lose alone against the dragon, but the point is not if the animate dead spell can defeat it, but if the adept, including said castings of animate dead can. Given that the zombies have a fair impact on the tactics of the dragon (it probably the loses the option of going within reach of the adept and full-attacking him), it might happen.

Actually, as I mentioned in this case, because the Hydras do their damage through multiple attacks and not one big one, they are actually worse than a single large attack from, for example, a Storm Giant skeleton because of the Damage Reduction of the dragon. They still do add a bit to the DPS however, and it's a race vs who can kill who first. If the dragon makes it to and begins his turn in meele reach of either character, they are dead. It's hard to ignore an average of 124 damage a round at level 12.