Author Topic: Psionic Crafter?  (Read 6983 times)

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Psionic Crafter?
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Out side of the Psi-Artificer, is there any psionic class that is decent at making psionic items? I suppose a Erudite could work, but between the xp cost of learning powers and the xp cost of the crafting it self, he will he losing xp at a high rate. While xp is a river would come into play sooner than later, it doesn't really help at character creation.
Suggestions?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Psionic Crafter?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
There's a trick for this in the Psionic Tricks thread, basically allowing mass crafting for free.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
Uh, Shaper / Constructor?
BG's other resident furry!

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »
I always liked the crystalsinger from wizards "The Mind's Eye" articles.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20011123b

Not that hard to get into and you can always just dip for 4 levels to avoid the loss in manifestor progression at level 5 but pick up two item creation feats.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
I didn't see the trick on the BG thread, unless it is shard's of leadership to get mass wealth from the cohort's npc wealth.

I don't see how Shaper / Constructor is any better at making psionic items over psion disciples. Shaper is better at using psionic items though.

The Crystalsinger looks like a decent fit, too bad it is 3.0, but doesn't look hard to convert at all. If I can find where the Metacreative feat was in 3.0

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
I didn't see the trick on the BG thread, unless it is shard's of leadership to get mass wealth from the cohort's npc wealth.

Do the Wight Thing-
[SPOILER]To Do the Wight Thing, one must have a critter under their control who can apply one negative level (such as a Wight, but anything that can apply one negative level at a time, with a type of negative level that will convert to real level loss, will do) and Psionic Restoration to generate 'free' XP.  This can be done as soon as level 11 if one has a Ring of Spell Storing (which should also store powers, due to transparency).
Powers: Psionic Restoration
Feats:
Critters: 1 Wight or Similar
Items: 1 Ring of Spell Storing
Method:
  • 1. Store Psionic Restoration in the Ring of Spell Storing
  • 2. Have the critter hit you with one negative level
  • 3. Wait until the time rolls around for the Fort save on that negative level, and voluntarily fail it, converting it to real level loss, setting your XP to halfway between the level you were and the level before (e.g., if you were level 12, and got drained to 11th, you're halfway between 11th and 12th - 60,500 xp, which is 5,500 xp in excess of 11th).
  • 4. Spend your newly-unlocked XP however you like (5,500 xp, for the character who starts this as a 12th level Egoist) - but watch the time limit!
  • 5. Before the time limit expires (1 day per manifester level), use Psionic Restoration to wipe away the level loss, which brings you "up to the minimum number of experience points necessary to advance it to the next higher level".
Minimum Level: 11 (With Ring of Spell Storing, otherwise 12)[/SPOILER]

Suicide (A Do the Wight Thing Variant)-
[spoiler]This fuctions as normal for "Do the Wight Thing", but instead of using a Wight or some other level-draining critter, you use Fission, and kill your duplicate - giving you a negative level, which you leave until it becomes real level loss.  Then continue with Do the Wight Thing as normal[/spoiler]

Free exp = free crafting. Somewhat. Anyway, do that, and then wack the WBL w/ some random other tricks. Craft w/e after that. Being an Erudite is cool, w/ all those powers known. Or (Psi-)Artificer. Head hurts. :(
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
Technically, once you get to level 4 power PsyRef
you are a crafter, and most everything else.
Just not all at once. So a Wilder (!) can be a crafter.

Power Stones + Universal Items + ML boosters = most things covered.
Throw in custom item rules, and maybe Craft Arms with JaronK's recent find.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
Also, feel free to take the craft price reduction feats. You can easily triple your WBL any time you want in that fashion, then a quick Psychic Reformation to throw everything back the way you want it, and voila.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »
Oh, yeah. Forgot about Psychic Reformation. Hax. :banghead
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

the_shadowmind

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
I completely forgot about using expanded knowledge, and PsyRef to grab powers as needed. Still stuck with powers 1 level below for the disciplines you don't have, but that is still enough for most items.
This means I can do Psion 15//Artificer 15 for the build I was working on, instead of the PsiArtificer//Warlock build I think I was going to need to use for an ultimate crafter. Warlock wasn't a bad choice per say(gets imbue item, and since you can't be a PsiArt//Art it was the second best choice for a crafting focuses gestalt build, and warlock is an okay at dispelling and a few minor tricks. Now I need to get the Anti-magic eye craft from Fiend Folio to a affordable cost.