Author Topic: What spells does a warmage not get that are needed to play an effective blaster?  (Read 3418 times)

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
There are people on this board, I can not remember who who claim that if you wish to make a blaster mage you are better making a sorcerer than a warmage. I am not saying that they are wrong but as far as I can see the only real possibility why this is that case is that warmages do not get 1 or more spell(s) necessary to play an effective blaster I would like to know if I am right and if I am what spells these are?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Wings of Flurry to start.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Wings of Flurry to start.
+1
 The Psonic power energy missle would be another one really
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Maw of Chaos is another good one.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Enervation.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
(Greater) Arcane Fusion and Arcane Spellsurge.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Unicorn Arrow's, Ray of Clumsiness, and Avasculate.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Short version: Basically they assumed the Evocation school was actually good at blasting. The best blast spells, none of them are evocation.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Telekinesis

[/thread]
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Short version: Basically they assumed the Evocation school was actually good at blasting. The best blast spells, none of them are evocation.

To be fair, wings of flurry is an Evocation. Not one that Warmages get, but it's still one of the best blasts in the game.

More to the point, it isn't so much that Warmages don't get solid offensive spells (although as pointed out they miss out on the best ones). It's that they don't really get any utility or defensive spells worth mentioning. Sorcerers can pick up the key offensive spells as well as solid utility and defensive spells (fly, greater mirror image, etc), while also rounding out their repetoir with save-or-lose spells for those times when damage just won't cut it.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
True, you hardly need a dozen blast spells every level, you only really need one.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
True, you hardly need a dozen blast spells every level, you only really need one.
If by one, you mean one spell, that's basically true.  If by one you mean one per level, then even that's a bit too many.

Having more than one, however, has benefits.  At later levels, some variation on Magic Missile is a must.  Chain Missiles is a doable upgrade at higher levels, especially since you can pretty much wipe out any casting of (Greater) Mirror Image with one Chain Missiles.  Wings of Flurry is good "blast" blasting for your career, while Telekinesis is the best spell to outright slaughter a single target.  If you have the room, then picking up Maw of Chaos late in your career will be good for when everything just has to die, but there are probably better 9th-levels for a Sorcerer.

So having 3-5 different blasting spells is certainly worthwhile.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
If they got more level dropped spells like Ice Storm, that would be good also.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar