Author Topic: Chapter One: Signs of the Flesh  (Read 25423 times)

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Chapter One: Signs of the Flesh
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
The female kalashtar's voice entered Golharath's mind.  <<I didn't know that he had a daughter.  Before the big warforged distracted her, she was emanating an intense aura concerning divination.  I wish I understood more of spellcraft - it seemed very powerful.  Now, that aura has receded, and I am seeing transmutation aura upon her - it either came on after the divination aura or was masked by the more powerful aura.  If *only* I knew more about magic!  The pendant is also magical - some kind of abjuration effect.>>

Golharath could hear the frustration in the woman's thoughts.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
The druid nods and follows the dwarf's lead.

OOC: Readied actions every round to follow the Dwarf until something interesting happens.

The dwarf and shifter walked through the empty faculty corrider, heading for the staircase leading back to the school's main grounds.

There will be students and campus security easily found on the main grounds, though they aren't likely to be very useful.  It will be fairly easy to find a member of the Sharn City Watch if you exit the university.

Did you close the door to Dirvald's office?

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
((at the cafe))

Cynthia shook her head as Thralax asked his question.  "I'll be alright - once that monster is behind bars where he belongs."  Louder, to the large man, "You hear me *father*?  Would you care for me to show them your shame?  Show everyone here?  I'll do it if that's what it takes."

The large man looked taken aback for a moment, then frowns.  "If that's the way you want it, *daughter*.  You never were any use - not to me, and eventually, not to the family.  The ties of blood may have protected you this far, but know that the lady has removed her hand from you.  It is only the by virtue of our contingencies - and there are always contingencies, dearest daughter - that you have been spared her wrath thus far."  Then to Thralax and Ansirus, "The only problem that I see here is my daughter.  Disrupting my meal with her lunatic babble.  She was always excitable, but I had expected better behavior even from her.  And now, you, interfering in my personal affairs.  A warforged.  Do you really think that you have the right to lecture *real* people on their family relationships?  You, who have never and will never know a family?  I have not spoken harshly - merely the truth.  That my daughter is worthless, and has always been a bitter disappointment to me, is a fact that should be trumpeted from the heavens to all who might listen.  And perhaps one day it shall be."

The large man smiled.  "So, in light of my feelings and the facts of the matter, I don't think there would be a way for you to help the situation, unless you were to remove this stain," a gesture of one meaty hand, "from my sight."  Then, to the girl, "Unless she cares to take up her offer?"

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
Ansirus found it hard to keep his anger in check. From what he had seen, the man started this whole mess, and even went as far as insulting the Warforged who had been trying to help end the situation peacefully.

He tried to keep a peaceful tone in his voice."Sir, correct me if I'm wrong, but you were the one who started the fight. I saw you start shouting, and she didn't seem to do anything to provoke such harsh words. If you have a problem with her, perhaps it would be better if one of the parties involved left. I would hate for blood to be shed because of an argument that could have been resolved peacefully, and I fear that if this situation escalates further, we may all regret it."

Ansirus thought about what he should do. The two men seemed to be in a form not normally their own, meaning that if the girl reveals their secret, then they could be in a more menacing form. The larger man also seemed to have a Glove of Storing, which means that he could have some kind of weapon. The smaller man also seemed to be controlled somehow, which added a whole other layer of complexity to the situation. Ansirus sighed mentally, and hoped the situation turned out for the best.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »
The dwarf and shifter walked through the empty faculty corrider, heading for the staircase leading back to the school's main grounds.

There will be students and campus security easily found on the main grounds, though they aren't likely to be very useful.  It will be fairly easy to find a member of the Sharn City Watch if you exit the university.

Did you close the door to Dirvald's office?

OOC[spoiler]Door...uh...sure!

So we'll find a City Watch member outside, then?  Cool.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:54:21 PM by PhoenixInferno »

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »
Aiu lowered her voice, directing her words towards Cynthia.

"I don't remember them from before...what's...going on?"

She glanced down at the girl, one arm wrapped around her protectively.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »
((at the cafe))

Cynthia shook her head as Thralax asked his question.  "I'll be alright - once that monster is behind bars where he belongs."  Louder, to the large man, "You hear me *father*?  Would you care for me to show them your shame?  Show everyone here?  I'll do it if that's what it takes."

The large man looked taken aback for a moment, then frowns.  "If that's the way you want it, *daughter*.  You never were any use - not to me, and eventually, not to the family.  The ties of blood may have protected you this far, but know that the lady has removed her hand from you.  It is only the by virtue of our contingencies - and there are always contingencies, dearest daughter - that you have been spared her wrath thus far."  Then to Thralax and Ansirus, "The only problem that I see here is my daughter.  Disrupting my meal with her lunatic babble.  She was always excitable, but I had expected better behavior even from her.  And now, you, interfering in my personal affairs.  A warforged.  Do you really think that you have the right to lecture *real* people on their family relationships?  You, who have never and will never know a family?  I have not spoken harshly - merely the truth.  That my daughter is worthless, and has always been a bitter disappointment to me, is a fact that should be trumpeted from the heavens to all who might listen.  And perhaps one day it shall be."

The large man smiled.  "So, in light of my feelings and the facts of the matter, I don't think there would be a way for you to help the situation, unless you were to remove this stain," a gesture of one meaty hand, "from my sight."  Then, to the girl, "Unless she cares to take up her offer?"

Punching him for that would be Chaotic, or at least non-Lawful Neutral, wouldn't it?

I think you should be more careful with your words. The City Watch does not take kindly to people badmouthing their enforcers, and I do not take kindly to attacks against my person. You should be more respectful towards the peace-keepers of Sharn.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
So they leave the university grounds, looking for people in uniform.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »
Cynthia gazed back at Aiu with a look of sympathy and... something that might have been concern.  Aiu was not sure.

"That is my father - Tiberus.  Though I am sure he isn't going by that name at the moment - nor is he in his own skin.  But I'd recognize him anywhere - blood calls to blood.  Same as he knew I was here.

He wasn't with me in the Mournland - he had left a year before, for the good of us both.  Banned since he couldn't stand my presence and tried to kill me the night before they banished him.  This wasn't the place you found me - I ran from there right after the Mourning to the place you found me.  You were there, in my dream; the same one in which I saw the Mourning before it happened.  I saw the Mourning - damnation unleashed upon Eberron as if seeking to destroy our sins.  I fled after the mists swept the land, and when I reached the others, I knew I was where I needed to be.  Where the angel in my dreams would arrive to carry me away.

I was so glad.  But now I have to disappoint you.  I'm sorry - I never should have left.  I should have died in the Mourning with the others."
  A tear leaked from her eyes and traced a path down her face.  Slowly, almost solemnly, she pulled the long sleeves of her short back.  Her arms were a pale white, causing the sinuous red and black marks traced upon them to stand out.  It took the onlookers a second to realize what the mark meant - a dragonmark.

The large man smiled.  "And now all know of our 'horrible' secret, daughter.  The secret that we are better than they.  Better even than the heirs of the mightiest dragonmarked house."  With this, he gestured curtly in Lledrith's direction.  "But I'll go you one better, dearest daughter, and show you a true secret - one not even you know, though you may suspect.  Ascelous," he spoke, addressing his silent dining companion, "these people have disrupted my meal and put me off my appetite.  Why don't you do me a favor and kill them?  Make sure to use the gift that I gave you - I'm sure it will be most handy.  Kill my daughter last - I want her to watch the others die for her sake as my last present for her."  With that, the large man started to back towards a walkway behind him.  "I would stay, but I'm an important man with other pressing obligations."  As he turned to run, the thin man stood and slowly turned to face the group.  His skin suddenly surged forward and there was a ripping sound as all of his clothes burst.  Suddenly, the man is no longer there - replaced with a glowering white dragon, still with thin streams of sauce dribbling from its face.  Wrapped in pale bands all about its body and arms are swirls and waves of the same dark red and black that were on Cynthia - another dragonmark.

With a growl, the white dragon Ascelous advanced on Aiu, Thralax, and Cynthia.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Thordin and Thalin left the campus of the university through the main gateway.  They looked left and right but did not see any members of the watch in the immediate vicinity, so they decided to head left towards where Thordin thought there was a cafe.  As they neared the cafe, they saw a member of the watch dart from a tunnel onto their walkway, jogging away from them at a steady pace.  Hoping to catch the man before he vanished from sight, they ran after him into the square. 

They arrived just in time to catch hear a voice announce that "I would stay, but I'm an important man with other pressing obligations."  They saw professor Dirvald step back from his table and flee from the cafe down another walkway.  And they saw a thin man stand from the same table, turn to face the crowd, and suddenly become a white dragon with bands of black and red markings appear on his body - a dragonmark.  The dragon began advancing on a group of two warforged and a little girl.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
Cynthia gazed back at Aiu with a look of sympathy and... something that might have been concern.  Aiu was not sure.

"That is my father - Tiberus.  Though I am sure he isn't going by that name at the moment - nor is he in his own skin.  But I'd recognize him anywhere - blood calls to blood.  Same as he knew I was here.

He wasn't with me in the Mournland - he had left a year before, for the good of us both.  Banned since he couldn't stand my presence and tried to kill me the night before they banished him.  This wasn't the place you found me - I ran from there right after the Mourning to the place you found me.  You were there, in my dream; the same one in which I saw the Mourning before it happened.  I saw the Mourning - damnation unleashed upon Eberron as if seeking to destroy our sins.  I fled after the mists swept the land, and when I reached the others, I knew I was where I needed to be.  Where the angel in my dreams would arrive to carry me away.

I was so glad.  But now I have to disappoint you.  I'm sorry - I never should have left.  I should have died in the Mourning with the others."
  A tear leaked from her eyes and traced a path down her face.  Slowly, almost solemnly, she pulled the long sleeves of her short back.  Her arms were a pale white, causing the sinuous red and black marks traced upon them to stand out.  It took the onlookers a second to realize what the mark meant - a dragonmark.

The large man smiled.  "And now all know of our 'horrible' secret, daughter.  The secret that we are better than they.  Better even than the heirs of the mightiest dragonmarked house."  With this, he gestured curtly in Lledrith's direction.  "But I'll go you one better, dearest daughter, and show you a true secret - one not even you know, though you may suspect.  Ascelous," he spoke, addressing his silent dining companion, "these people have disrupted my meal and put me off my appetite.  Why don't you do me a favor and kill them?  Make sure to use the gift that I gave you - I'm sure it will be most handy.  Kill my daughter last - I want her to watch the others die for her sake as my last present for her."  With that, the large man started to back towards a walkway behind him.  "I would stay, but I'm an important man with other pressing obligations."  As he turned to run, the thin man stood and slowly turned to face the group.  His skin suddenly surged forward and there was a ripping sound as all of his clothes burst.  Suddenly, the man is no longer there - replaced with a glowering white dragon, still with thin streams of sauce dribbling from its face.  Wrapped in pale bands all about its body and arms are swirls and waves of the same dark red and black that were on Cynthia - another dragonmark.

With a growl, the white dragon Ascelous advanced on Aiu, Thralax, and Cynthia.

I thought the Dragonmarks (even the Aberrant ones) required you to be a specific race? How the hell is a White Dragon a Marked? Wait, let me guess. Wizards were involved, lay off me? Size category of the stupid thing? I'm not playing Eisin, so I doubt I can take on a Mature Adult White Dragon at this level without a damn cannon, thus if it is bigger than me I'm going for backup. And damn Eberron for allowing non-Chaotic Whites! Bypassing my little Detection tricks...

I don't believe this idiocy. A dragon! In Sharn! Well, at the very least, I'll be getting a nice workout from this.

Thralax's crimson glow flares even brighter than it did before. When the glow fades, he is holding a longsword pointed at the dragon's head, and is outlined by a suit of golden armor, the form of Order now encasing his massive construct body. A white helm has appeared on his head, and he seems ready for a true battle with this beast.

Swift action: Invest Essentia into melds (3 Sword, 1 Avatar). Not using Radiance until I deem it needed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
The regular dragonmarks (of the dragonmarked houses) require you to be of a certain race.  The aberrant dragonmarks do not (I believe - away from books).  Nevertheless, there is a good reason for this - your characters are just not aware of it.

The dragon is medium sized.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »
The regular dragonmarks (of the dragonmarked houses) require you to be of a certain race.  The aberrant dragonmarks do not (I believe - away from books).  Nevertheless, there is a good reason for this - your characters are just not aware of it.

The dragon is medium sized.

I'm declaring this now. Its ass is never getting off the ground unless I'm grappling it. 1d20=4 for init.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:50:30 PM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 11:34:53 PM »
Professor Dir - HOLY #$%@!

Can you stop catch up with the good professor over there?  I'll stay here and help take care of this.

Initiative (1d20 2=8)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:52:02 AM by PhoenixInferno »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2008, 11:43:13 PM »
Thalin nods and begins to move as quick as he can after the professor, but his armor slows his progress.
An idea springs to mind and he looks all around him for a horse other rideable animal.

Spot check for animals. (1d20+9=25)

Edit: And sure, why not? Initiative (1d20+3=12)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:14:05 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2008, 11:52:01 PM »
"Oh dear." [Initiative: 20]

The warforged looked up at the irritated-looking monstrosity, then back at the girl in front of her.  With a quick look at the guardian standing next to her, she extended her palm and pressed it to his shoulder.  A shimmering bubble seemed to form around Thralax for a moment, then it faded to a barely-visible glimmer [Shield of Faith, +2 Deflection AC].  With that done, the warforged moved to place herself between the dragon and Cynthia, reaching back to drop the girl's necklace in the palm of her hand.

-------------OOC-------------
[spoiler]
Std: Shield of Faith on Thralax (CL 3)
5 ft: Move in front of Cynthia
Move: Give Cynthia her amulet
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:15:35 AM by Pan-Fried Hamster »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »
"Oh dear."

The warforged looked up at the massive beast towering over the cafe, then back at the girl in front of her.  With a quick look at the guardian standing next to her, she extended her palm and pressed it to his shoulder.  A shimmering bubble seemed to form around Thralax for a moment, then it faded to a barely-visible glimmer [Shield of Faith, +2 Deflection AC].  With that done, the warforged moved to place herself between the dragon and Cynthia, reaching back to drop the girl's necklace in the palm of her hand.

-------------OOC-------------
[spoiler]
Std: Shield of Faith on Thralax (CL 3)
5 ft: Move in front of Cynthia
Move: Give Cynthia her amulet
[/spoiler]

Its a medium dragon, not gargantuan. It towers over halfling, not cafes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2008, 12:23:50 AM »
((Fixed.  For some reason I saw "medium-sized" and thought "adult"))

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »
"By the Flame!", Ansirus exclaimed as stepped back to put more distance between himself and the dragon. His hands erupted in silver light, and he fired the beam at the dragon.

Init
[spoiler]initative (1d20 2=15)[/spoiler]

Actions
[spoiler]Move Action: Move to M-12.
Standard Action: EB[/spoiler]

Rolls
[spoiler]attack roll on dragon, damage if i hit (1d20 4=16, 2d6=10)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:17:49 AM by Rayth Molba »

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »
Map
[spoiler]
| 0|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|
| 1|
| 2| +-----------------------------+
| 3| |                             |
| 4| |                             |
| 5| |               A             |
| 6|-+                             +
| 7|     B     C                   
| 8| D   E          F G           
| 9|H    I                         
|10|                               
|11|-+                             +
|12| |                             |
|13| +--------------+J +-----------+
|14|                |  |

A - Lledrith
B - Aiu
C - Golharath
D - Thordin
E - Cynthia
F - White Dragon
G - Large Man
H - Thalin
I - Thralax
J - Ansirus

[/spoiler]

Ascelous' Initiative = 7
Cynthia's Initiative = 18
The Large Man's Initiative = 17
Female Kalashtar's Initiative = 17

The large man is going to flee towards the walkway away from the PCs, taking a double move.  The white dragon Ascelous is going to charge Cynthia, Thralax, and Aiu and attempt to bite one of the three.  Cynthia will grab the pendant from Aiu and don it, then back 20 feet away from the dragon.  Golharath's companion is going to move out of the way from the dragon, behind Golharath, and manifest Defensive Precognition upon herself.

Thalin - there is a horse dragging a wagon crossing from the walkway that Ansirus is on towards your location, and a donkey coming up the walkway that Thalin is on.  There are no other riding animals nearby in view.

Ansirus - as you see the pulsing marks upon the white dragon, you hear the voice speak in your thoughts: "Behold, the first Word Written in Blood to be Revealed - Denial."