Author Topic: Chapter One: Signs of the Flesh  (Read 25424 times)

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Re: Chapter One: Signs of the Flesh
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »
"Of course I am skilled as an alchemist. Do you think that a few days away from a lab would rob me of all my knowledge? and I would have thought that perhaps there are people more... suited to the task of information gathering. However... I am not above a certain inducement."
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
(Lledrith)

The woman nods at Lledrith's words.  "Yes, we have those who are skilled at such things.  However, they are frequently watched - both by the other branches and by outside factions.  And, if I may say so, you seem to be a part of the intrigue already thanks to the cafe.  Were you not one of the bold heroes who slew the strange dragon?  But perhaps I am mistaken in my assessment...  As to inducement, our family recognizes skilled accomplishment when they see it, unlike the other branches.  We could furnish a laboratory for you to work to your hearts content, and provide a fund each month for supplies.  We would only ask in return for you to not reveal your discoveries to our competitors; at least, not without sharing them with us first."

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2008, 03:01:31 AM »
Thalin looked back at the Dwarf. He had been lost in thought, as he often was. Unlike many in his sect, he liked to reason through things before deciding a course of action.

I'm still not sure. I think I'll stay in town for another week to see if I can find out the Professor was working on that required the aid of one from my sect. I am unsure where to stay though...this city is very foreign to me. I would be more comfortable outside it, but I wish to stay in touch with the investigation. No doubt they will claim me as a suspect, being what I am...and what sect I follow.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:03:12 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2008, 03:08:31 AM »
Eh, don't bother me what you believe - as long as it doesn't involve live Dwarf sacrifices!  Thordin giggles a little at his own joke.  After he regains his composure I, too, want to see this through.  Perhaps we can help each other out.  And those guys out there said they saw the Professor-impersonator before he took off.  One of them was a priest of the Silver Flame - maybe we go see what they know?

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »
"Hrmm... that appears to be an acceptable agreement. However, what it is that you will command me to do in the meantime? Unless I am mistaken, all of the others fled nearly as quickly as did I."

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
Thalin nods, gesturing for the Dwarf to lead. Thordin knew the city much better than Thalin. Until Thalin got a better sense for Sharn he would rather follow than lead.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
"Hrmm... that appears to be an acceptable agreement. However, what it is that you will command me to do in the meantime? Unless I am mistaken, all of the others fled nearly as quickly as did I."

"You raise a good point; I had hoped you had an idea in regards to that.  My suggestion would be to wait - surely someone will grow interested in the project that the professor was involved in.  And when they go looking, they will find ties to House Cannith.  And that will lead them to you as the member of our house who dealt with Dirvald.  Fair enough?  I can give you the details on our involvement - purely a business transaction.  I think you would find the research quite interesting, given your background.  The business details are rather dull, but the work has great potential.  Unfortunately, the project is currently on hold while we determine whether the professor, or any of the other parties involved in the transaction, will be able to pay the rather expensive costs that have already been incurred."

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
"Perhaps I should wend my way to a place near the professor, then. If he is to be at the centre of this, then I should be near the eye of the storm. And while I wait there, I would rather like some notes upon this research. After all, what better way for me to assist you than to be fully knowledgeable in these matters?"

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
The woman smiles and reaches into a large leather case that she brought with her.  She pulls out a stack of notebooks and folders stuffed with sheets of paper.  "Here are copies of the research that I had prepared.  Make sure that you do not lose them.  They are missing several key points - let me know where you will be working from and I will have complete sets delivered by courier.  Make sure the place is secure - this information is worth a noble's fortune, easily."

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »
"Hmmm... do you by chance have a waterproof case for these? I would hate good research to be damaged. And if you please, a guide or a map to this professor's location? I am rather new to the town, after all." Lledrith was wondering just how far he was to go, but perhaps the rabbit hole would become a fairly comfortable home.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »
"Certainly," the woman says as she reaches into her bag again and produces a similar, though slightly smaller bag and hands it to Lledrith.  "The professor has a house not too far from Morgrave - in a nice middle class district.  And he has an office in Morgrave, of course."  She passes over a map of one of the upper levels of the district that was also withdrawn from her case and taps some neat handwriting at the bottom, listing the professor's house address and office number at Morgrave.  "It is some distance from here, but I am sure once you find the neighborhood, it will be easy enough to find.  Two levels down from Morgrave.  And please keep in touch - you can contact me at the house headquarters as Sabrina d'Selvys if it is an emergency, or from one of the House Sivis message stations - the stations would be preferred."

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
"You are most kind." Lledrith bows over her hand before departing the office. Glancing at the map, he follows it through the city towards the office of the professor. At this time of day, he was most likely to be there.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »
(at the temple)

Ansirus tries to piece this all together in his head, but it just brought up more questions. "Hang on, let me see if I'm understanding this. These people, the family, as you call them, were breeding humans? And it had to do with your dragonmark? Were they....trying to breed more aberrant marks? Do you know why? Will they continue to come after you?"

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
"You are most kind." Lledrith bows over her hand before departing the office. Glancing at the map, he follows it through the city towards the office of the professor. At this time of day, he was most likely to be there.

Lledrith reaches Morgrave University fairly easily and, with the help of some students, arrives in the hall where the good professor's office is located.  But he is confused to see a pair of the Sharn city watch standing outside  of a door.  Lledrith realizes it must be the office of Dirvald based on the directions given to him both by Sabrina and by the students, and he pauses for a moment down the hall, wondering what he should do.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2008, 11:10:25 PM »
(at the temple)

Ansirus tries to piece this all together in his head, but it just brought up more questions. "Hang on, let me see if I'm understanding this. These people, the family, as you call them, were breeding humans? And it had to do with your dragonmark? Were they....trying to breed more aberrant marks? Do you know why? Will they continue to come after you?"

"I know that they had plans for us.  They had already introduced me to a number of other boys that they had hoped I would breed with in the future.  I do not know why, though it probably had to do with our dragonmarks, and our powers, yes.

"I do not know what they planned to do with us, though I have often dreamed upon the subject.  They were mostly visions of blood and death, and of incomprehensible violence and suffering.

"My father, at least, will continue to come after me.  The family might, if he tells them that I live free of their clutches.  He might keep that secret.  Or he might tell them.  My father is... unpredictable.  It depends on how much trouble he is in with the family."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2008, 09:09:39 AM »
Golharath stands away from the others, staring into the distance. He blinks, then turns to Cynthia.
"I apologise if I am misinterpreting, but... your father was not Professor Dirvald, was he? Why would he impersonate him?"

[spoiler]I think the mindlink should have expired by now.

Gol's just making sure. If anyone asks where he heard the man's name, he will say that he heard the dwarf mention it.[/spoiler]
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
Cynthia looks to Golharath.  "Correct - my father is not Dirvald.  I do not know why he would, only that he would have a reason for it."

[spoiler]Golharath's mindlink has expired.[/spoiler]

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:39 AM »
Hmm. This whole situation is still a mess, but I do know one thing. This girl is important, or else the Flame wouldn't be directing me to her. She must be protected.

"Well, it seems like you may still need protection." Ansirus kneels before Cynthia. "I am Sir Ansirus Avengart, Knight Templar of the Church of the Silver Flame, and I pledge my services to you, ma'am, to protect you from anyone that means to harm you. My powers are at your command."

Ansirus rises back to his feet. "So, what course of action would you suggest?'

OOC
[spoiler]Ah, the fun of playing an actual knight, and getting to say cliche things.  :P[/spoiler]

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »
Lledrith reaches Morgrave University fairly easily and, with the help of some students, arrives in the hall where the good professor's office is located.  But he is confused to see a pair of the Sharn city watch standing outside  of a door.  Lledrith realizes it must be the office of Dirvald based on the directions given to him both by Sabrina and by the students, and he pauses for a moment down the hall, wondering what he should do.

Walking forward, he inquires of the watch as to what has happened herein. Looking around, he notices several others who were in the fight with the dragon in the tavern, and shoots an inquisitive glance in their direction, wondering if they will recognize him?

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »
(At the temple)

Cynthia smiles shyly and nods to Ansirus.  "Pleased to meet you, sir.  I've never met a... templar was it? before."  Then a frown comes to her face for a moment as she ponders the question.  "Whatever my father and the family is planing must be stopped," she says in a serious tone, "because it will bring nothing but death.  But I do not know what they are planning, or where they might be.  I know that they had several other locations similar to the house I was part of, but they were scattered across Khorvaire and we were never told where our own was, precisely, let alone where the others were."