Author Topic: Stitching Things Together: The Graft Handbook  (Read 73170 times)

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Stitching Things Together: The Graft Handbook
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
Where are the undead grafts?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:25 AM »
They were reprinted in Libris Mortis.  Originally in Fiend Folio.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 02:14:08 AM »

Sorry, I should have written more clearly.  I meant I did not see any of them in the review section. 

I've always been partial to the eye gem that lets you have an emergency fireball once per day.  An old DM gave me one on a dead enemy which had been that enemy's item familiar.  My having to cow it into submission led to some highly entertaining role playing for the entire group.  I seem to remember keeping it in a tankard of water when it got pissy.  Eventually set it up as part of a gargoyle construct we had guarding the front of our stronghold
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 02:30:50 AM »

Sorry, I should have written more clearly.  I meant I did not see any of them in the review section. 

I've always been partial to the eye gem that lets you have an emergency fireball once per day.  An old DM gave me one on a dead enemy which had been that enemy's item familiar.  My having to cow it into submission led to some highly entertaining role playing for the entire group.  I seem to remember keeping it in a tankard of water when it got pissy.  Eventually set it up as part of a gargoyle construct we had guarding the front of our stronghold

Been busy working on the Armor/Shield fix and the Weapon fix v1.1.

And I always update handbooks slowly. I'm horrible about that. :P

[spoiler][/spoiler]

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »

Been busy working on the Armor/Shield fix and the Weapon fix v1.1.

And I always update handbooks slowly. I'm horrible about that. :P

Ah, no worries.  :)  I was curious.  Right now I'm trying to figure out my first gestalt build.  It's challenging without help from someone who has done one before.
~Robert Heinlein

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 12:58:39 AM »
Undead grafts have been added.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 01:06:38 AM »
Undead grafts have been added.
Mohg's Tounge description seems to have been cut off, though.

Also, Yuan-Ti grafts!  They were in FF! (although note the differences between them and Serpent Kingdoms versions)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »
Also, Yuan-Ti grafts!  They were in FF! (although note the differences between them and Serpent Kingdoms versions)
Sinfire Titan has already stated that he will get to the grafts when he gets to them, bugging him will not likely get you what want you want any faster (especially considering that you already asked for them).

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
Do you want to include Dragon Magazine content into this? If you do, Dr#318 has an article (starts on p.51) which features "Pirate Grafts." This one's a bargain me thinks: Mutineer's Eye on page 54, -2 Spot, +1d6 Sneak Attack if you already have SA, for 4k gp.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
Do you want to include Dragon Magazine content into this? If you do, Dr#318 has an article (starts on p.51) which features "Pirate Grafts." This one's a bargain me thinks: Mutineer's Eye on page 54, -2 Spot, +1d6 Sneak Attack if you already have SA, for 4k gp.

You seem to be unfamiliar with my opinion of Dragon content.

No, I don't think I will include Dragon content in the handbook. 3rd party material should not be suggested in a handbook, as DMs are very skeptical of it. Grafts are all ready very hard to get allowed, so 3rd party grafts are very unlikely to fly and would end up being a waste of space in my opinion.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
To each his own. Quite a few handbooks here do mention options from Dragon, hence why I mentioned it.

Question: why would grafts be hard to get allowed?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
Something you're not mentioning about the demonic eyes is that one of them lets you see in darkness at unlimited range.  That's actually a pretty rare and hard to get ability for PCs, and invaluable to any party running around in the Underdark or similar areas.  Sure, it's not worth it normally, but obviously if you summon the graft demon it's absolutely wonderful.

JaronK

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Yuan-Ti Grafts added.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:13:48 AM »
If I remember correctly the added tail is a lot better than it first appears. I'm almost positive there is a way to get a tail usable as a tentacle so you can then use the Gloves of Man (SS) so it can work as a normal limb (though this depends on your interpretation of the item not working if you have hands, whether it means on the limb in question or on any limb at all).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:15:22 AM by Bastian »

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 12:40:41 AM »
Only Magic of Eberron contains a clause that ignores older stuff when checking for validity - Races of the Dragon and Faiths of Eberron contain no such language. In fact, they deliberately exclude older grafts from working under the "only five, all of the same type" paragraph, as both mention undead grafts (a pre-MoE category) as something that would not work in conjunction. (Magic of Eberron's text instead cites elemental and plant as opposing types, both of which it introduced.)
Ahem.

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
Poison Fang is quite a steal if you already have a bite attack!
It opens for venomfire abuse - and a scaling DC 1d6 con dam is nice.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
Which book has the most recent printing of Graft Flesh?  I'm particularly curious about whether or not it's an [Item Creation] feat.

EDIT: For example, it's just [General] in LM, but [Item Creation] in LoM.  I'm working on an Anima Mage Evil Overlord build, so the ability to pick up Graft Flesh as a floating feat (picking a different kind of graft to create each time, no less) is a valuable ability.

EDIT 2: Hey... if the ghostly arm is incorporeal, then is it possible to restrain it at all?  If you were grappled by a corporeal creature, for example, then could you not use the ghostly arm to cast spells with somatic components?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:42:54 PM by X-Codes »

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
Graft Flesh was last printed in Lords of Madness. Everything that uses the new (stupid) grafting rules relies on a different, more specific collection of feats.

On the ghostly arm...I'd say that because you were grappled, then by RAW you'd have the casting restrictions of that status regardless of how one of your arms worked. (Consider that you're still being jostled around; even if the arm can't directly be manipulated by your opponent, the rest of your body to which the arm is attached can be.)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
Graft Flesh was last printed in Lords of Madness. Everything that uses the new (stupid) grafting rules relies on a different, more specific collection of feats.
Ok, got it.  So Graft Flesh is an Item Creation feat, as are all the other Grafting feats.  As such, Binders can grab any Graft feat they want binding Astaroth.

Also, somatic components have nothing to do with how your body is controlled, only hand gestures matter.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »
If I remember correctly the added tail is a lot better than it first appears. I'm almost positive there is a way to get a tail usable as a tentacle so you can then use the Gloves of Man (SS) so it can work as a normal limb (though this depends on your interpretation of the item not working if you have hands, whether it means on the limb in question or on any limb at all).
Or you could use the Prehensile Tail feat?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]