Author Topic: Hashing out characters  (Read 15052 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Hashing out characters
« on: June 08, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »
Let's talk character out-hashing.

Character level is Chest-Deep.  That is, 8 refresh, 30 skill points, cap at superb.

Arsene Sheffield
High Concept: Gentleman Thief who can steal Anything
Trouble: Got a heart of Gold - No, it's Silver, I swear.  

Background
[spoiler]
The second, significantly younger, son of wealthy parents, who generally ignored him.  Trained in the arts of concealment and entry by the family's loyal but mysterious valet, Bertram.  Even now, Arsene relies upon him, not bothering to bring up Bertram's strange inability to age.
Aspect: Practically Raised by Bertram.
Invoke: Being sneaky, knowing obscure magical secrets, getting Bertram's help on something.
Compel: Arsene isn't nearly as well schooled as someone of his social class should be in how to act during formal occasions.  Also, he typically uses Bertram as a sounding board, and isn't nearly as confident without him.  Can also be compelled to not ask for help from his family.

[/spoiler]

Rising Conflict
[spoiler]
Grandmother died, leaving a silver key to Arsene.  Soon embroiled in the supernatural world, as several factions attempted to take control of the temporarily unclaimed property during the lapse, Arsene eventually made it to the Silver Citadel and claimed his position as its Master - without anyone realizing his true identity.
Phase Aspect: The Red Phantom bears a Silver Key

Required Item of Power aspect, doubling as the secret identity one.  I don't want keeping up a secret identity to be a big challenge in-game; basically, as long as I take reasonable precautions I assume Arsene is quite competent enough to do it on his own.

[/spoiler]

First Adventure
[spoiler]Stolen Moments
In the wake of successfully outmaneuvering the fey, Arsene found his normal life dull and unfulfilling.  He soon finds the excitement he craves performing incredible heists, leaving a single white rose behind as a calling card.  When his best friend gets in trouble with the fey, Arsene is forced to pull off his greatest and flashiest caper yet, without letting him know who was involved.

Phase Aspect: It's all part of the plan
[spoiler]Invoke: "Ha, that supposed setback was actually step five of my convoluted unspoken plan"
Compel:"No, I can't do it the easy way.  That would ruin step fifteen of my unspoken convoluted plan"[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Crossovers

Life Sentence
[spoiler]
Arsene goes to the Life Ball as himself on a family invitation, only to recognize that there's a massive convoluted theft going on, which he has to try to thwart incognito.  It works, but then the situation changes into Die Hard.  With a little help from a certain stormfey, it turns out OK[/spoiler]

The Silver Citadel
[spoiler]A dream of a lost era, the citadel dominates a shattered landscape of ruined stone.  Ruby roses with shining thorns curl their way up the gleaming silver buttresses.  Needlelike spires jut out organically from atop, crystalline staircases connecting them with a delicate lattice of precious metal.  Jeweled hummingbirds flit across the walls, nesting and feeding in ancient crenelations.

Similar to Derse, really, but silver instead of purple.[/spoiler]

The Silver Key (item of power) [-1]
[spoiler]
A silver key of unknown provenance, inherited from his grandmother.  When touched to any door, it opens into the nevernever, near the Silver Citadel.  Its holder is acknowledged as the Citadel's master, and commands a strange power over the area.  After several close calls, Sheffield embedded it into a glove to avoid losing his grip at a crucial moment.

Item of Power  (one-time discount) [+1]
Demesne (Silver Citadel) [-1]
Swift Transition [-2].  Heavily biased towards locations near to or within the Silver Citadel.
No Mortal Home [+1] The key possesses a strange, rudimentary, and cowardly consciousness.  Whenever it or the user is placed in serious danger, it attempts to retreat immediately, dragging the master with it.
Wizard's Constitution [+0]

[/spoiler]

Channeling [-2]
Element: Spirit, lots of light-based stuff.  

Refresh total
Key -1
Channel -2
Cat-Burglar Stunt (Page 149) -1
Mimic Ability -2

2 refresh unspent.  I think that's a pretty good number.

Skills: Definitely high discipline, not certain between lore/conviction or conviction/lore.

Vague Skill Order

Superb:Discipline
Superb:Burglary
Great:Resources
Great:Deceit
Good:Conviction
Good:Lore
Fair:Endurance
Fair:Presence
Average:Scholarship
Average:Driving

Focus items

Rotes:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Things Arsene has stolen (IE:noodle event list)
[spoiler]
1) A two-hundred-tonne bridge.  Sold to a powerful troll ruler to be used as an throneroom.  It makes a real statement.  Something along the lines of "I'm so strong, bitches, that I live under a bridge made of solid iron.  Do you see any vampires that live in a house made out of garlic?  No?  Well that's because vampires are wusses."  

2) Koi from the emperor of Japan.  They, and their descendants, live in a large river within the silver citadel.  Just because I'm in the nevernever and can say "screw physics", the river flows clockwise in a perfect circle.

3) An entire green sand beach.  Located well within the circular river, with a large set of tidepools and a simulated ocean.  The green sand contrasts well with the starfish.

4) The spider silk textile that was shown in the 1900 world's fair: The exterior is dyed red, which with the golden interior makes a bitchin' trenchcoat and fedora ensemble (roughly on par with kevlar, so I'd say armor:2, but doesn't hamper movement?)

5) A sword of the cross.  Returned, after the theft somehow ended up allowing Shiro to operate undercover and take out an Armageddon cult.

6) The summer knight's mantle.  Requested, but Arsene denied it after getting bad vibes from the client.  If you think you know who's getting screwed in a deal with the fey, it's probably you.  If you don't know, it's definitely you.

7) The shroud of Turin: Stolen back from some mob boss who had taken it several weeks earlier, returned to the church.

8) A backwoods warlock's magical talent - when his powers failed, his victims turned upon him.  Arsene has since internalized the small portion of it that wasn't black magic.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:34:37 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Hashing out characters
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »
How does this look? Some details still pending of course
[spoiler]Philion 'Phil' Quilos

Aspects
High Concept: Aeolian Courier - Phil works as a messenger for the supernatual community, working chiefly for the Wyldfae Court of the Winds.
Trouble: Fair Winds Bring Ill News - Theres never any good tidings to bring
Other Aspects
Background - Son of the Wind - Phil is a half Sylph, his mother is one of these fey of the winds, never staying in one place long. This heritage manifested in his teens, giving him a measure of the same mastery over wind and weather, along with a set of racing wings and an allergy to iron.
Rising Conflict - Aunts Full of Hot Air - Finding out you aren't truly human was a shock. Meeting your mother's parade of sisters is another one. Gossip is in the air as Phil tries to find a place in this new world, and get a grip on his talents. Even if he winds up bound to a dozen well intended fae ladies in the process.
First Adventure - Down town and Cross Country - A simple message becomes a high stakes pursuit. Delivering a simple message between lords of Summer and Winter, as part of an ongoing chess match. The content, 'Checkmate' was bad enough, until one foxy scion decides hes the perfect bait to take the heat off one of her schemes. The run becomes a long chase covering two worlds, ten cities and a dozen countries on foot, as their rivals move to break this destiny, and find out what is all the fuss about.
Guest Starring I(Lilly "Kitty" Dachner) - Tailwind of Trouble - How messy could sending a wedding invitation be? Phil winds up being tossed from one plot to another at the Life Ball, with every turn adding more trouble to his heels. It somehow blows over, without blowing up, other than the bit where he's best man at a wedding between his aunt and a cantaloupe. Next time maybe he should just use FedEx.
Guest Starring II aspect here

Refresh and Fate Points - Chest Deep
Base 8
Total Adjustment -7
Effective 1
Fate Points 1
Skills  30/30
Superb (+5): Conviction
Great  (+4): Athletics, Lore,
Good   (+3): Endurance, Stealth
Fair   (+2): Driving, Survival, Weapons
Average(+1): Awareness, Contacts, Discipline, Presence, Resources

Stress
Physical: OOOOOO, Armor 1(exept against iron)
Social: OOO,
Mental: OOOO, Extra mild consequence,
Consequences:
List consequences taken here along with value

Stunts

Powers
Sponsored Magic(Aeolean Magic) [-4]: Aeolean Magic draws upon the power of Court of Winds, allowing you to cast spells that fall under its purview: deception, discovery, release, travel, weather.
Aeolean Magic can be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects within it's purview. This includes the ability to produce weather effects, but with an evocation spell's methods and speed.
Aeolean evocations always includes the weather in some way, raising fog to obscure, creating images in mists, calling lightning to strike or whirlwinds to rend. Aeolean compels tends to make the user's temper more closely adhere to the weather.
Phil draws upon this power through his bloodline and his bindings to his 'aunts'.
Aeolean Magic grants four focus item slots.
Conductor's Baton Wand - +3 to Offensive Air Control
Enchanted Item x2 - Whirlwind Barrier Amulet(Block 4), Bag of Winds(Manuever, Violent Winds(Scene) 2 exchange)

Human Form [+1] : Phil takes on a clear fae aspect when tapping into his heritage, sprouting wings and taking on a lean, almost feral aspect. His eyes and hair turn a pale shade of blue in his true form.
-Wings [-1] : You can fly, eliminating or reducing certain kinds of borders and enabling travel upwards into zones that can't normally be reached.
Winged flight is governed by the Athletics skill.
Phil's wings are insectile, sleek and swept back, but colored in a variety of pastel shades.
-Inhuman Speed [-2] : Your Alertness is at +4 for the purpose of determining initiative.
All Athletics checks are made at +1, including dodging. When sprinting this bonus is increased to +2.
When moving as part of another physical activity, you may move one zone without taking the -1 penalty for a supplemental action.
Difficulty factors due to moving are reduced by 2 when rolling Stealth.

Catch(cold iron) [+3(technically +4)] : Much like his fey parentage, touching cold iron causes discomfort, while actually being wounded by iron bypasses his faerie durability.
-Inhuman Recovery [-2] : You're able to recover from physical harm that would normally leave people permanently damaged. You can recover totally from any consequence, including extreme ones, with nothing needed but time.
Out of combat, physical consequences are treated as if they are one level lower in severity for the purpose of recovery.
Endurance never restricts other skills from lack of rest. Skipping a night of sleep has no ill effects.
In combat, once per scene, you may clear away a mild physical consequenvce as a supplemental action.
-Inhuman Toughness [-2] : You naturally have Armor: 1 and two additional boxes of physical stress capacity.

Rotes 3/4
[spoiler]
Gale Blast
Type Air(wind) evocation, offensive transport
Power 5 shifts of movement
Control Roll Discipline(+1), plus Wand(+3), Phil always takes 1 physical backlash from the rote version.
Target One target in line-of-sight, inflicting movement
Duration Two exchanges
Opposed byEffect The target is seized by a hurricane-force blast of wind and hurled in the direction of choice, crossing a total number of zones and borders ratings equal to the shifts in power.
Variations By invoking an aspect such as Wall in the Path, this spell can be used to inflict damage, by chucking the target into a suitably resisting obstacle.

Fog the Senses
Type Air(sensory) evocation, offensive maneuver
Power 3(effect) + 2(duration) = 5 shifts
Control Roll Discipline(+1) + Wand(+3), Phil takes 1 physical stress from this rote unless aspects are applied
Target One scene
Duration Three exchanges
Opposed by -
Effect This spell places the aspect Choked in Fog to the scene for three exchanges, as mist forms from the air.

Pocket Tornado
Type Air(wind) evocation, offensive block(grapple)
Power 3(effect) + 2(zone) + 2(duration) = 7 shifts
Control On the first round, roll Discipline(+1), plus Wand(+3), Phil always takes 3 physical backlash and 2 additional mental stress from the rote version, unless he tags aspects to mitigate.
Target One zone
Duration Three exchanges
Opposed byEffect A small tornado seizes everyone in the area, trapping them in the wind while it lasts. The first round establishes the grapple. Each round thereafter, the targets roll Athletics to grab hold of something and break free. If the roll fails to beat the spell's effect(Good + 3), the targets are inflicted with the aspect Everything is Spinning.
Targets entering the zone while the tornado is in effect also risk being sucked in.
Variations By invoking aspects such as Violent Winds, backlash is reduced and the ease of escape is greatly diminished.
[/spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:21:18 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »
Posting a quick WIP before I forget everything.
[spoiler]Lilly "Kitty" Dachner

Aspects
High Concept: Foxy Scion
Trouble: Play it Fast and Loose
Other Aspects
Nice Girl at Heart
Peace in the Streets, War in the Palaces
House of Cards
Trouble, Trouble Everywhere; I've Something Nice and I Want to Share
Pride Goeth
[spoiler]High Concept - Foxy Scion: Lilly's the child of a union between an ancient fox spirit (more demon than fae) and the lucky bastard said fox spirit fell in love with. She always took after her mother, but that quickly escalated when she started discovering just what kinds of things she inherited - among other things, a slowly changing appearance, a knack for weaving illusions, a craving for fried tofu, and an inexhaustible fount of mischief.

Trouble - Play it Fast and Loose: Control is boring. Lilly isn't one for planning very far ahead, and her funny ideas tend to go spectacularly out of control at the worst moments. To be honest? She wouldn't have it any other way.

Background - Nice Girl at Heart: Young Lilly's father is clueless, and her mother is just about the best liar in the world. As a result, she herself hasn't the least idea that her mother might be a nine-tailed fox demon from the Nevernever, let alone what the hell the Nevernever is. An only child of doting parents that never seem to work nearly as much as their income would indicate, Lilly grows up shy and wary of strangers despite taking after her mother's impish and fun-loving streak. Thinking nothing of her uncanny natural talent for deceiving and reading people that allows her to lay low in social situations and stay out of trouble easily, Lilly remains clueless until the day she really does disappear when she wishes to, and finds herself sporting fox ears the day after.

Rising Conflict - Peace in the Streets, War in the Palaces: Lilly's bloodline begins manifesting, and fascination and her mother's tutelage drive her to use her powers, jumpstarting her dive into the supernatural side of the world and making her bolder in interactions with people. At the same time, tensions begin rising, both in the Nevernever and the mortal world. After her father nearly gets himself eaten by a vampire, Lilly and her mother, wanting to live a nice, peaceful life, decide that something has to happen to keep the supernatural world busy and mortal power struggles subdued (and make the city at large safer for other mortals too, as a side benefit). The Dachners will have their peaceful next few decades if they have to make the entire Nevernever shut up and sit down.

First Adventure - House of Cards: Why "play your cards right" when you can do much more entertaining things with them? At the annual Life Ball, a young half-fox decides it would be fun if a cool argument between White Courters turned a bit warmer... and involved some other factions, too. Things get out of hand, and with everyone who's anyone in Vienna's supernatural world each other's and her throats, Lilly must talk her way out of the mess she made, avoid mortal casualties, and have some more fun while she's at it, too. Such as by arranging the donation of a massive sum to the Aids fund from House Skavis's assets... or tricking a Faerie marriage swindler into marrying a cantaloupe instead.

Guest Starring I - Trouble, Trouble Everywhere; I've Something Nice and I Want to Share: (Philion "Phil" Quilos) Needing to avert attention from a political maneuver of her mother's, Lilly arranges for some vampires to find a poor sucker of a messenger more interesting than he is. The trick works almost too well, and in a matter of hours, everyone wants a piece of Phil and his message.

Guest Starring II: [/spoiler]

Base 8
Total Adjustment -7
Effective 1
Fate Points 1

Skills  30/30
Superb (+5): Deceit
Great (+4): Empathy, Lore
Good (+3): Conviction, Presence
Fair (+2): Athletics, Rapport, Resources
Average (+1): Alertness, Contacts, Endurance, Intimidation, Scholarship

Stress
Physical: OOO(OO), Armor 1, reduce recovery time for consequences by one step
Social: OOOO
Mental: OOOO
Consequences:
Mild (-2): None
Moderate (-4): None
Severe (-6): None
Extreme (-8): None

Stunts
Trickster Magic [-1]: Use Deceit instead of Discipline for control rolls on Fox Magic.

Powers
Sponsored Magic (Fox Magic) [-4]: Fox magic deals with direction and misdirection, allowing you to confound the minds and perceptions of people and manipulate the ghostly flames known as Foxfire or Will-o'-Wisp. Occasionally, it is instead used to guide people.
Fox magic can be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects within its purview. This uncludes the ability to
Fox evocations, though subtle, always include some element of the phantasmal flames, wreathing things or persons to be concealed in ghostly fire, conjuring floating fires to confuse, distract, or guide, or simply burning a target's body or spirit. Fox compels tend to make the user prideful and flighty, driving them to challenge authority and play karmic pranks. Lilly has access to this power through her heritage and the mentor- and sponsorship of her fox mother.
Fox Magic grants four focus item slots:
-Flame-Patterned Choker: +2 offensive power for foxfire evocations (2 focus item slots)
-Misdirecting Belt:  Block (strength 5), usable by others, 1/session (3 enchanted item slots)
-1 slot open for potions (1 enchanted item slot)
Rotes
[spoiler]
Fox Fire
Type Foxfire evocation, offensive attack
Power 5 shifts (Requires choker)
Cost 1 mental stress
Control Deceit (always 5 for the rote version)
Target One target in line-of-sight, inflicting stress
Duration -
Opposed by Target's Athletics or other appropriate skill, plus magic blocks
Effect Kitty exhales a ghostly blue-gray flame and hurls or spits it at a target, causing physical stress as a weapon 5 attack.

Phantasmagoric Foxlights
Type Foxfire evocation, offensive block (mental grapple)
Power 5 (effect)+2 (zone)+3 (duration)=10 shifts (Requires choker)
Cost 6 mental stress (Kitty must take a consequence to use the rote)
Control Deceit (always 5 for the rote version), Kitty always takes 5 physical or mental stress from the rote version
Target One zone in line-of-sight, grappling all creatures in the zone
Duration 4 exchanges
Opposed by Targets' Discipline or other appropriate skill, plus magic blocks
Effect The target zone is filled with dancing flames of shifting colors that captivate the attention of anyone in the zone. the first round establishes a mental grapple against any actions requiring presence of mind at a strength of 5 shifts. Each round thereafter, the targets roll an appropriate skill (usually Discipline) against the spell's strength to snap out of it. If they fail, they take a temporary Fascinating Lights aspect.
Variations Aspects can be invoked or debt incurred to reduce backlash or increase the strength of the hold significantly.

Will-o'-Wisp
Type Foxfire thaumaturgy, offensive maneuver
Power 3 (effect)+1 (duration)=4 shifts (requires choker)
Cost 1 mental stress
Target One scene
Duration One scene
Opposed by -
Effect One or more floating flames of shifting colors appear on the scene, moving about erratically and placing a Dancing Lights aspect on the scene.

Emergency Veil
Type Foxfire thaumaturgy, defensive block (veil)
Power 4 (effect)+1 (duration)=5 shifts
Cost 3 mental stress
Target Kitty or a small, tight group of people or small area
Duration One scene
Opposed by Others' Alertness or Investigation to notice the veiled target(s)
Effect Translucent flame removes the target(s) from sight, establishing a block at a strength of 4 shifts for two exchanges against attempts to notice them.
[/spoiler]

Human Guise [-0]: Though she looks perfectly human in everyday life, Lilly's true form carries a clear touch of her heritage. It's shorter than her human guise by a few centimetres, with shorter and lighter hair extending down her back and arms, elongated features, and thinner, pointy teeth. More obviously, the ears of a fox replace human ears, and the end of her spine elongates into a bushy tail the length of her torso, like that of a fox. This minor shapeshifting is easy to compromise in times of stress, so Lilly backs it up with illusions.
Cosmetic change effective only vs. mundane senses. Under great stress, may require a Discipline roll to maintain.

The Catch [+3]: Every fox spirit owns a small, perfectly round gem that seemingly glows with a faint, white inner light, called a star-ball. This ball is always held in direct skin contact, in Lilly's case, usually on a pendant under her clothes. Removing it (doable with a maneuver or grapple for anyone who knows about it) causes emotional and physical discomfort, and while separated from the ball, wounds heal slowly, and Lilly loses appetite and is quick to tire, whereas possession of the ball grants superhuman vitality.
-Inhuman Recovery [-2]: No excuse needed to start recovering from physical consequences.
Recover physical consequences as if they were one step less severe out of combat. Consequences reduced below mild are gone by the start of the next scene.
Endurance never restricts other skills due to lack of sleep. May skip a night's sleep without ill effects.
Once per scene (in combat), clear a mild physical consequence as a supplemental action.
-Inhuman Toughness [-2]: Armor 1 against all physical damage.
2 extra physical stress boxes.

Marked by Power [-1]: While Lilly's physical form has only a single tail, the parentage of a true power player leaves marks. Unless she cares to conceal this, anyone with a modicum of sensitivity for the supernatural can feel the nature of her mother, and in her true form, one may even be able to catch a glimpse of multiple additional tails. While these are not hers and no indication of her own power, they make very clear that she is not descended from just any random fox.
+1 to all social rolls vs. members of the supernatural community. May be expected to act as a representative of fox mother.
[/spoiler]
What is it with me and female characters? They always seem to end up female all the time even if it's not intended from the start...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:26:36 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
Still very much Work In Progressing it up. I need to think about this chick's childhood and background some more - the aspect I originally put down for Background had far too much overlap with the High Concept (as it would on any Scion, really - In The Blood is sort of implied with that, I guess). The Trouble seems too narrow, too.

One thing that needs to be cleared is non-mortal magic interacting with the Laws, since there'll be two characters using Sponsored Magic. From what veekie's told me about how magic works, it sounds like breaking Laws with non-mortal magic wouldn't necessarily go on your soul, but that kind of thing should be cleared with the GM before Lawbreakers threaten to start flying around. Of course, whether it's on your soul or not, the Wardens would probably still want a word with you if you go around killing people with magic.

Concerning the catch on Lilly's Recovery: I pegged the Catch as +1 or +2 as it's easy to bypass once you know the trick (just do a maneuver to get the pendant off of her), but said trick is difficult to know - the star-ball thing is fairly obscure (go ahead, look up some foxes in modern media and see how many carry one of those around), and you'd have to know what Lilly is in the first place to even know what to look for, which she's very good at hiding.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »
The thing with half-mortals is that the more they rely on their non-mortal abilities, the less humanity they hold on to. At some point if you go too far you essentially become either all mortal or all the other way. If you become an immortal such as a Faerie or vampire or other creature of the Nevernever, you don't have a soul to grant free will, as your actions are governed by your nature. Non-mortal spellcasters aren't governed by the Laws so much as Accords, and such, though as you mentioned any gross violation will attract the attention of the Council. While you are still half-mortal, though, you still have a soul and free will, and violating the Laws will blacken that soul. They way I understand it anyway. :)

--edit--
Adding in wip char sheet as requested.

[spoiler]Leopold 'Leo' Berenson

Aspects
High Concept: Wizard in Training; Currently, some would refer to Leo as a Focused Practitioner, so he doesn't quite carry the same clout as a full Wizard does, though he's quite good within his limited scope.
Trouble: New Kid on the Block - Leo is not only new to Austria and the 'Old Country' at large, but is also new to magic and the supernatural communities. While some may be somewhat more forgiving of his 'ignorances,' most are simply quick to dismiss him completely as a newbie.
Other Aspects
Background - Leo was raised in a loving, if troubled, family as the only child of two scientists. Spending long nights in their respective labs, his parents didn't always have the time to dote on Leo, and he found the attention and structure he needed through his neighbor, "Old Mickey" Cassidy. In truth, Mickey was a Wizard, and could sense the potential in young Leo long before his talent manifested itself.

Rising Conflict - Out of the Pot... - Old Mickey had a fiery passion for life, and his zeal often outpaced Leo's stubborn, introverted nature. Insisting that Leo had to "Live a little," the boy was sent out into fairly dangerous situations in order to learn to use his magic the "natural way." This lead to some mishaps and an inevitable run-in with the Warden of the Boston area, who didn't like seeing the boy's supposed recklessness- really, Mickey's. The old Wizard decided it would be best for Leo to continue his studies in the Old Country, sending him to Europe to learn from some of the elder Wizard's old friends... who just so happened to be just as raucous as Old Mickey himself. It seems like Leo just can't find anywhere in the world where trouble doesn't simply find him...

First Adventure - Precious Mettle - When Leo Berenson sets out to master Magic the 'natural way,' as his mentor puts it, he quite literally gets more than he bargained for when he unwittingly makes a deal with a devious Wyldfae Lord- known to some as a Leprechaun. The Wizard-in-Training must retrieve a powerful relic recently stolen from the Leprechaun himself, but while he must not only face the one who stole the relic in order to earn his freedom, he must also race against the clock while an increasingly painful curse threatens to consume him.

Guest Starring I aspect here

Guest Starring II aspect here

Base 8
Total Adjustment -6
Fate Points 1
Skills  X/X
Superb (+5):
Great  (+4):
Good   (+3):
Fair   (+2):  
Average(+1):

Stress
Physical:
Social:
Mental:
Consequences:
List consequences taken here along with value

Stunts

Powers
Channeling [-2]: Leo can channel evocation magic from the element of Earth, making Leo effectively a Geomancer- at least, until he masters more elements.
Channeling comes with two free Focus Item slots.
Focus Item 1:
Focus Item 2:

Thaumaturgy [-3]: Leo's stubbornness and methodical thinking patterns lend themselves well to study, and thus he has already become proficient in the art of Thaumaturgy far in advance of his skills with evocation.
Thaumaturgy comes with two free Focus Item slots.
Focus Item 1:
Enchanted Items x2 left open for potions
Specialization: Specialization goes here

The Sight [-1]: Wizards and others have learned to open their third eye, perceiving the magical world in great detail. Through firm concentration, Leo can open his third eye to use The Sight, which for him reveals a primarily crystalline world where objects and beings pulse with electromagnetic distortion.

SoulgazeApplication of the Sight [+1]: Leo's ability to Soulgaze is related to his ability to use the Sight, both applications of a Wizard's extended senses.

Wizard's Constitution [-0]: As a mortal Practioner of magic, Leo will become incredibly long-lived for a human, and is already capable of recovering from injuries just a little better than the next guy.
-Total Recovery: Leo can recover from physical harm faster than normal humans, recovering totally from any consequence-excluding extreme physical ones- with no other excuse besides time.
-Long Life: Leo's lifespan is significantly expanded, though he is still very young, even by mortal standards.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:16:58 AM by VennDygrem »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »
Yeah, sponsored magic still causes lawbreaker stunts.  Otherwise the disciples of Kemmler wouldn't get them at all.

Carmen Sandiego was able to steal talent from people, so I think I'm going to need to drop two refresh into Mimic Abilities in order to keep "I can steal anything" as an aspect.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:06:53 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
@TML: For what it's worth, that's pretty awesome. :lol  I think evntually you need some spell or ability to walk through walls to truly be the ultimate thief. It's something Faeries can do, leaving no trace but residual static shock, so I imagine it's within the realm of possibility for you.  :D

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
@TML: For what it's worth, that's pretty awesome. :lol  I think evntually you need some spell or ability to walk through walls to truly be the ultimate thief. It's something Faeries can do, leaving no trace but residual static shock, so I imagine it's within the realm of possibility for you.  :D
Well, I'm putting burglary as either my highest or second-highest skill, and adding on the stunt that lets me use it to sneak around and hide.  Getting in, I'm all-but-invisible.  Getting out, I have the Key.

But it's all about the thrill of the heist, so using it is bad sportsmanship.  (which should be an aspect, really.  Something like "A job done right is done with style")

I should probably start a list of various things Arsene has stolen already
1) A two-hundred-tonne bridge.  Sold to a powerful troll ruler to be used as an throneroom.  It makes a real statement.  Something along the lines of "I'm so strong, bitches, that I live under a bridge made of solid iron.  Do you see any vampires that live in a house made out of garlic?  No?  Well that's because vampires are wusses."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:52:00 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I forgot what the Key could do, and was just thinking of ways you could break in to so-called impenetrable defenses. :)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:22:33 AM »
And here's what I'm thinking of for skills

Superb:Discipline
Superb:Burglary
Great:Resources
Great:Deceit
Good:Conviction
Good:Lore
Fair:Endurance
Fair:Presence
Average:Scholarship
Average:Driving

Note that I'm using burglary instead of stealth for hiding and skulking (so I don't need stealth as a real skill).  I'm probably going to spend my free 2-slot focus to bring up my conviction to superb for channeling.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:19:45 AM »
Yeah, sponsored magic still causes lawbreaker stunts.  Otherwise the disciples of Kemmler wouldn't get them at all.

Carmen Sandiego was able to steal talent from people, so I think I'm going to need to drop two refresh into Mimic Abilities in order to keep "I can steal anything" as an aspect.
Well, Summer Knight is mortal and can kill with magic I think, as well as Winter Knight. Hadn't seem them getting more bent than usual, but politics cover that angle. Agita's question revolves more around mind affecting stuff though, since kitsune are heavily biased towards mindscrew magic and if it'd cause Lawbreaker stunts there'd need to be alternative approaches.

Kemmlerites would have gotten Lawbreakers(and a lot of them) by the time they qualify for it, since it requires being a full wizard first, and the expertise required needs necromancy at the least.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:56:48 AM »
To put it another way, hellfire shouldn't act as a barrier against mental corruption caused by killing people.  If it were as easy as using some other power source, the blackstaff wouldn't be such a Big Deal.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »
A matter of interpretation I suppose, but note that theres a significant emphasis on Mortal Magic. The only type that can call Outsiders etc. Note, this means you only get that if your magic stems purely from inhuman sources, if you're mortal and you have any source of magic that runs off your own(mechanically Channeling, Ritual and their upgrades) will, you're subject.
As opposed to Black Court necromancy,  Faerie magic, White Court Influence etc.

DM's call? The key point here is mindscrew magic I think, just as Faerie magic can perform certain transformations without the risk of permanently damaging the target, Kitsune magic can perform complex deceptions.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
DM's call? The key point here is mindscrew magic I think, just as Faerie magic can perform certain transformations without the risk of permanently damaging the target, Kitsune magic can perform complex deceptions.
Complex deceptions shouldn't count as enthralling or invading somebody's mind, though.  I think in the TV series Morgan had an invisibility ability that worked by making people's eyes not see him.  TV isn't canon, of course, but it's precedent.
Planetouched Handbook

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
I think what you may be looking for is veils. Elaine could be invisible in Summer Knight when leaving Harry's place. Veils can be done with either evocation or thaumaturgy, but evocation is obviously harder to keep up for long. It's great if you just need to evade a guard or lookout. Obviously though veils are good for more than just tricking eyes into not seeing you.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
I think what you may be looking for is veils. Elaine could be invisible in Summer Knight when leaving Harry's place. Veils can be done with either evocation or thaumaturgy, but evocation is obviously harder to keep up for long. It's great if you just need to evade a guard or lookout. Obviously though veils are good for more than just tricking eyes into not seeing you.
I'm very aware of veils, and nah, that's only scratching the surface. Invisibility is one thing, illusions are another (which can be pulled off in many ways depending on circumstance and can fall into different shades of grey on the Third/Fourth Law scale - aspect placement, a different flavor of veils, Simple Action to imitate Deceit for disguise, even mental grapples all come to mind off the top of my head), then there's the real mindfuckery... basically (a possibly lighter form of) psychomancy, really, though it would probably stop short of actual mind control - most tricksters aren't the type for that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:49:58 PM by Agita »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
I just don't see what type of trickster stuff would require you to invade somebody's mind or enthrall them. 

Tricking them into thinking a cantaloupe is their spouse can be done without violating any laws, if you're a good enough trickster.  Going into their brain and rewiring it is one way of doing that, but that's not tricky, that's just mean.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 11:23:13 PM »
I figure you just perform some interface screw, much like the Lust potion technically doesn't violate the law. Mess around with the inputs, produce low level emotions...
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 12:52:39 AM »
You can do a lot of trickster stuff without violating the laws. I'm not going to push Lawbreaker stunts too heavily--those should be reserved for important moments when someone deliberately breaks one or does so through gross negligence, not "okay, you suddenly lose a point of refresh because you tricked that guy into marrying a cantaloupe canteloping."

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 02:29:03 AM »
So I've been trying to work out details for my character, the first being his name. Since the character is primarily a geomancer, I've been thinking of appropriate names, and I've got a character named Stone Berensen already. Using Stone as the first name would be way too obvious, so I'm keeping the surname. As for the first name, I've decided that his family originated in Austria but moved to America sometime in the 1930s to avoid the conflict arising from the political strife and the antisemitism beginning to boil up, and as such the family avoided the Nazi regime altogether. However, considering these roots, the character was named Leopold after Saint Leopold, patron Saint of Austria and of Vienna, despite the family being of Jewish origin. His father uses this as an excuse, as the real reason is because he's a fan of the 'The Producers' and named his son after Leo Bloom (who in turn is named after the lead character in Ulysses by James Joyce). Roundabout enough?

So, his name is Leopold 'Leo' Berenson (which, as it happens, is derived from words meaning 'bear' and 'son' and I believe I can have some particular fun with this). I'll be working out more details throughout the week, including skills and trying to decide what to spend my last refresh point on, and the rest of his history. I've already got some ideas.