Author Topic: No spellcasters game 2 (Alastar's campaign) **recruiting**  (Read 12755 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: No spellcasters game 2 (Alastar's campaign) **recruiting**
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »
Ok, Imma make this official, since i seem to have enough people willing to be in.

Seriously, mercs or part of an order that kills spellcasters is MONSTRHUMONSLY fine with me ( i like inventing words) and fits the feel of the campaign.

Yes twf counts as two items.

I will have 5 people in this game.  three have confirmed already:

- Midnight
- Sdk
- Nodaisho
- Surreal (I'm not sure, just say you confirm and you're in)

So basically we have like 1.5 positions left, and i go by first come first serve, as i want to start this asap.

IS it okay with you guys?
Dude, don't forget me :D

I'll be able to post some ideas this friday.

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Original Sin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »
Hey, I'd like to join up if ya still got room.  I know this is my first post here, but I've got a loooooooong history of gaming (longer than some people I've gamed with have been alive!).  A very good friend just recommended this to me, so thought I'd give it a try.

My concept is a rogue/master thrower.  Start off just as Rogue (lvl 10), specializing in thrown weapons, ready for Master Thrower prestige class.  Frankly, you can have all your other classes, the rogue is (for me, at least) the best all around class.
I may not like violence, but that doesn't mean I'm not good at it.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »
Frankly, you can have all your other classes, the rogue is (for me, at least) the best all around class.
lets hope the wizard, druid and cleric haven't overheared you  ;)
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
Terribly sorry, but we're already full, check out the other non spellcaster game if they have room maybe?

I really don't like having too much player's, my regular tabletop average is 5, and 6 by pbp is already a bi tmore than i can handle i think, really sorry! :(

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »
Al,

1. Could you clarify who's actually in and who isn't?
2. I may have missed a response from you, but could you clarify how the general populace reacts to non-humans in this world (Half-Ogres, Catfolk, Thri-Kreen, and so forth?)  Knowing which races will be generally socially acceptable is going to make it a lot easier to design a party of witch hunters.  We're not likely to be very successful if the townsfolk hire OTHER witch hunters to kill us!

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »
Well, if witch hunter is agreeable with everyone, here is what i had in mind:

Harren'daen'kar

The witch-hunters.

an organisation totally devoted to the eradication of sorcerers, hostile monsters, and other atrocities of this world.
Think a bit like the anime claymore.
basically, races that are accepted vary by kingdom, but are mostly the following:

Humans
Elves
Dwarves
Half-elves
Halflings
gnomes
The basis what.

Any other races is mostly ocstracised
HOWEVER:
Harren'daen'kar is an organisation that uses ''monstrous races'' agaisn't other monsters.  They see clearly that not every monster is evil, and that when they see the light, they can be very useful in quelling down ''hostiles'' .

So basically, most people will hate you if you're not one of the base races, until they see your uniform and badge.

The uniform is a black clinging ''kimono style'' suit, with a brown long flowing trench coat over it.  The whole thing is completed by a red scarf.  the badge is usually on the arms.

VARIATIONS

Harren'daen'kar does not utilise, or have available, full knightly plate.  However! They have what they call a ''battle plate'' wich is a variation of full plate that is just as resistant, but less bulky.

This variation is 5 pounds lighter, costs 50 gp more, and is a bit less apparent, allowing the user to wear the brown coat and red scarf over it.

Organisation ressources: 15 000 gp limit

Members: 300 in your starting kingdom

Average level: 8

Kingdoms history coming soon.

as well as gods, i dunno If I'll invent a pantheon thought... might be the good ol' grayhawk thing.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »
The party is officially full, check out the ''current games'' thread for more details.

But here i'll post it nicely

Caelic
Surreal
Bowensilverclaw
SDK
Midnight
Nodaisho

The campaign will be named: The thorny trail

For several reasons, chief among them the fact that i like alliterations.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »
Hokay.  Where would you like characters posted/sent?  PM?

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
In the game thread, as soon as Aftercrescent gets online he should create it.

There will be a character sheet section.

alternatively, if you wanna use an online character sheet maker, be my guest.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »
Sounds awesome :D
I'll start work on my character tomorrow when I get home, I'm currently at a friends place.

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »
I'm still relatively open on what to create; I have about five character concepts I could run with.  If other players could give a basic idea of what they plan on playing, I'd be much obliged.  (Right now, the first choice amounts to a big brick fighter-type...sturdy, lots of damage.)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »
I'm still relatively open on what to create; I have about five character concepts I could run with.  If other players could give a basic idea of what they plan on playing, I'd be much obliged.  (Right now, the first choice amounts to a big brick fighter-type...sturdy, lots of damage.)

Logan is a primarily a tank and secondly a natural attacker.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »
Caelic, so far I am thinking Thri-Kreen dervish, takes out ranged/magic enemies or moves to flank enemies as needed. Buying off the LA, so I will be level 9, but it should only be 6 or 7k xp below anyone that doesn't have LA, since I am using the MM one.

edit: Or not, the role will remain the same, everything else could change.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:11:58 PM by Nodaisho »
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 09:11:13 PM »
I too am totally open on what to play. I don't think anyone has picked up skills yet, and we need someone with flight.

I like the idea of a monstrous witch hunting party. I think I mentioned earlier that a karsite and bauriar would be pretty good (they get SR). I like the Marrulurks too, and for some reason I've always been partial to gnolls.

Any chance we could use some of the monster conversion rules from here? http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=33294
I'm looking at it for more of the mundane creatures like a minotaur or ogre or flind gnoll or something.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »
I too am totally open on what to play. I don't think anyone has picked up skills yet, and we need someone with flight.

I like the idea of a monstrous witch hunting party. I think I mentioned earlier that a karsite and bauriar would be pretty good (they get SR). I like the Marrulurks too, and for some reason I've always been partial to gnolls.

Any chance we could use some of the monster conversion rules from here? http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=33294
I'm looking at it for more of the mundane creatures like a minotaur or ogre or flind gnoll or something.

If this weren't a "no spellcasters" game I would totally ask you to be a Diviner, because with the Dex you invented the spell "Locate Thread."

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
Ehrm...I'll be reasonably skilled for a big brick fighter, and flight will be within my capabilities.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »
I've got Spot, Listen, Knowledge(Nature) and Survival maxed out. Now watch this campaign go Urban on me.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »
I've got Spot, Listen, Knowledge(Nature) and Survival maxed out. Now watch this campaign go Urban on me.

I'll likely have Spot, Listen, Survival, Hide, Search, and Move Silently maxed, with a few others at various levels.

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
I expect to have Spot, Listen, Jump, and Tumble maxed, nothing someone with flight won't be able to do. Was planning on hide and move silently as well, unsure if I will have the points for it.

edit: Question: How do we generate HP? Roll? Full at first, then 1/2? 3/4? Full?

And are we going to use initiative or are we going to just go with post order round-by-round? I need to know so I know whether or not to get improved initiative.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:13:33 AM by Nodaisho »
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 05:41:09 AM »
Hmm, here's a Marrulurk idea I was messing around with last year: http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-867132.html
Think something like that could be doable? I tend to lean towards Cha and Int builds in my games. I was also looking at the Beast Heart Adept, but that winds up being a lot of bookeeping.

Still waiting to hear back from Alastar about Frank & K's monster conversions... (although the link isn't working at the moment)

So what have we got so far...
Caelic - big brick fighter, flight, reasonable skills
Surreal - ?
Bowensilverclaw - ?
SDK - tank, natural attacker
Midnight - fear based crusader/dread pirate
Nodaisho - thri-kreen ToB

Do we have anyone actually geared towards combating magic? An occult slayer seems the most obvious choice (leading in with the Arcane Hunter Ranger). Anything else along those lines? Witchborn Binder perhaps? (could that perhaps grant better meldshaping advancement? the abilities just don't work very well otherwise). A Defiant (Planar Handbook) could also be interesting if we're putting the hate on divine casters as well.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills