Author Topic: Dex-based Battlefield Controller?  (Read 2358 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Dex-based Battlefield Controller?
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
Trying to help a friend put together a Dexterity based character with battlefield control options. At the moment, the character is 7th level (Elf with the Winged template and 5 class levels). Uses a Kusari-Gama and Improved Trip, but is worried that the tactic will become ineffective as opponents grow in size and/or get Freedom of Movement (depending on how that interacts with making somebody prone). Since she can hopefully rebuild the character as necessary, the build shouldn't matter TOO much, but at the moment it's Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 1/X 1 (we just leveled, and so she hasn't picked the most recent level yet). Stats are Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8 (or something thereabouts, anyway). She's expressed a disinterest in size-increasing abilities for thematic reasons, but is willing to consider them if it's absolutely necessary. Don't remember what feats she has other than those I've already mentioned and their prereqs (and weapon finesse, of course, being a swashbuckler). Any ideas at all would be helpful. Thank you.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Dex-based Battlefield Controller?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »
Freedom of Movement only stops grapples (he auto-succeeds on his prevent a grapple grapple check). It does not stop getting tripped.

However, Dex-based is generally not as effective because battlefield control requires Strength. Bullrush, Trip, etc., are all Str-based checks. Size is also a major factor in battlefield control as it gives major bonuses to most BC tricks. Without it, your life would be a lot harder.

With a combination of the two above, I think your friend might have a problem being an effective BCer. I don't have a suggestion to make, to be honest, given what she already has...

However, she would make a fairly lethal aerial charger. Look up Races of the Wild for feats and ideas. There is a feat that allows you to do 4d6 extra damage on a charge, and others that increase your damage/give other bonuses if you are higher or more maneouvrable than your opponent. There are also aerial based PrCs in there that you can easily adapt to suit her if she decides to go that way.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:17:40 PM by AndyJames »

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:15 PM »
Dex based BC really blows in the rules as written.  I'd suggest you upgrade your game to use Frank and K's Tomes in order to make the numbers work.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »
That's what I was afraid of. So there WAS a reason nothing was coming to mind. Thanks.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
Archer.  Battlefield control archer.  But, alas, it's not melee.  If you can get a homebrew monk fix allowed, the one by Witch linked in my HH has an ability that allows dex for trip and grants Imp Trip (see my suggestions on the last page, the class is unfinished without them).  So really, homebrew is about all of your options.  Even just size increases (psywar does wonders here) won't be enough at the higher levels.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
High DEX is nice for a battlefield controller with combat reflexes and the whole AOO thing going; however, strength is important too so you can actually trip.  16  INT seems like a bit of a waste in such a build, but you do add it to damage so meh.  Also without size increases or reach increases, a medium creature has reach 10ft.  You're not controlling the battlefield, you're controlling less area than a single ogre with no extra reach can!

From here, you can go into Tome of Battle classes.  Thicket of Blades is nice for control while that shadow hand maneuver will let you add your DEX to damage.  There are a bunch of other good maneuvers and stances that would give that character options and allow it to not suck horribly in mid-levels.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:57 AM »
High DEX is nice for a battlefield controller with combat reflexes and the whole AOO thing going; however, strength is important too so you can actually trip.  16  INT seems like a bit of a waste in such a build, but you do add it to damage so meh.  Also without size increases or reach increases, a medium creature has reach 10ft.  You're not controlling the battlefield, you're controlling less area than a single ogre with no extra reach can!

From here, you can go into Tome of Battle classes.  Thicket of Blades is nice for control while that shadow hand maneuver will let you add your DEX to damage.  There are a bunch of other good maneuvers and stances that would give that character options and allow it to not suck horribly in mid-levels.
If we want thicket of blades we might as well open up lockdown 2.0 in my collection of stuff.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:17:20 AM »
Fly-by attack would be a good feat for this character

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:30:12 AM »

And speaking of the ToB, you can go into the whole Setting Sun line of maneuvers, which give you trip attempts that use Str OR Dex for the modifiers.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:02:53 AM »
Master Thrower has a Thrown Weapon trick.... Trip Shot, that allows you to make Ranged trip Attacks with a thrown Weapon, and use Dex instead of Str

since she is a Flying Character with a High Dex... it is best to stay out of Melee Combat and Control the battlefield form a Flying position... Flyby Attack will greatly help her out as ninjarabbit said

:D

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »
The best two ways I can see for this are indeed using ToB for the throws as a form of battlefield control (straight Dex-check so you don't mind lower-than-max BAB), or what seems more in line with the present build, using Stand Still (SRD and XPH feat) with reach weapon and decent damage output for forcing impossible Reflex-saves from the opponent.

Really, Stand Still is the battlefield control-feat and it doesn't require any stats, just attack bonus and damage.