Author Topic: NPCing at Player's Character  (Read 2152 times)

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
NPCing at Player's Character
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »
I dislike NPCing other people's characters. But it's a necessary evil when the player cannot make it to the session. I would like to get some feedback from the community on the various ways you deal with this absentees.

Example:
One of my players plays a Chaotic barbarian. When is he is absent, I have the other players take turn playing him. I created a list of actions that this barbarian can do and assigned a percentage range to it. Some of the actions are "release control of <Character Name> to the player to the left of you" and "The DM shall dictate his next action". This creates a round-robin approach of playing this character and gives me (the DM) the ability to override the character's actions. In essence, chaos.

This only works for a chaotic character and does not work well for a Lawful character.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: NPCing at Player's Character
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »
That doesn't really work for a chaotic character either. It really only works for someone under the insanity spell.

What we have always done is put them in the background. They are still there with the party and fighting another monster during a battle, got food poisoning (doesn't always work but can be entertaining), lost their voice, etc... Give reasons why they aren't behaving normally and just put them off to the side. If they can do something to help the party that doesn't use a non-renewable resource then let them, ie the barbarian rages to lift the portcullis but won't use his 1 time use magic item.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
I generally work out some excuse/sidequest for them to be ostensibly at, though if it's a cliffhanger, then the player most familiar with them gets to pilot them in combat, after which they get removed one way or another.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RealMarkP

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »
That doesn't really work for a chaotic character either. It really only works for someone under the insanity spell.
Well, the players try to simulate the other player as best as possible. It's not like the barbarian just becomes insane. Player X will play the barbarian until he rolls under 10%, so there is a good chance that player X will play the barbarian for quite some time.

What we have always done is put them in the background. They are still there with the party and fighting another monster during a battle, got food poisoning (doesn't always work but can be entertaining), lost their voice, etc... Give reasons why they aren't behaving normally and just put them off to the side. If they can do something to help the party that doesn't use a non-renewable resource then let them, ie the barbarian rages to lift the portcullis but won't use his 1 time use magic item.

Having a healbot cleric in the group takes the fun away of all those situations. Food poisoning? Neutralize it. Lost their voice? Restoration or something. But I see what you're saying. Perhaps as part of an atonement quest the barbarian needs to find his inner self by obstaining form combat all together? Or due to a ritualistic event, he takes part in a scarification/bleeding ritual where hes inches from death and constantly fatigued and therefore cannot take part in the quest? This got me thinking.

I generally work out some excuse/sidequest for them to be ostensibly at, though if it's a cliffhanger, then the player most familiar with them gets to pilot them in combat, after which they get removed one way or another.

I've done this for long absences. But for missing one session, it's a bit much. "Hey guys, I'll chill here for a day and will catch up with you later" doesn't work so well when you're going deeper and deeper into a dungeon/underdark/plane
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:13:31 PM by RealMarkP »

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
Why not do another activity if someone can't make it for one session? Especially true if you have a smaller group(like 4 people or less including the DM). Play Magic the Gathering, have a Gaming Console or PC LAN party, etc.

And if it's the same player that occasionally misses a seesion or two while all the others are always there, then start another campaign including only those people. That way when the one player can't make it for a session, simply pause the "everyone" campaign and progress the secondary. That way the missing player doesn't miss out on anything and you won't have this problem. But at the same time, it only works if it's just one player who misses a session occasionally, if others are off and on as well, it will not work so well.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Versions I've done includes:
- Auto-Failed a save against hallucinogens, spent the session thinking he was a fish.
- On a detour to investigate a character specific sidequest clue. This one is infinitely reusable and you can do a short one on one for that character if they're interested.

Versions I've considered:
- Being kidnapped by a monster(Phase Spiders for example)
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RealMarkP

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »
... then start another campaign including only those people.

I'm way ahead of you. I've been doing this with two out of the four players. I told them to create a new character, level 10, of any class (preferably one they have not played before). Worked out very well so far.

Being kidnapped by a monster(Phase Spiders for example)
I was thinking of combining your hallucinogenic idea with this one. I could have the party eventually find the missing player, face down in dirt, with all of his stuff missing. Would that be too evil? :shakefist
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:15:37 AM by RealMarkP »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 03:57:52 AM »
All his stuff missing? Never.

I prefer to put out hints that he's been Dominated in the meantime, whether or not its true.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
My players and I try to end our sessions in a semi-populated area, or be with an importantish (at least in the party's mind  :looloo) NPC so that if one of their characters has to miss a session we can say he went out out on the town doing whatever it is he does, or stayed with the NPC to "protect" it.
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
Breaks the verisimilitude but at my table you either take another path if one is available "in game" or just vanish into L-space if an alternate path is not forthcoming.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
If I can get away with it, I have the PC in question be absent, and try to work out something one-on-one with them during the week.

If not, I run the PC as an NPC (or have the players do this).  Although, the only time I can remember doing that, it was on a session that was going to begin with the BBEG fight (there wasn't quite enough time at the end of the previous session) and several players didn't show up.  So I had the two remaining players run their PCs.  Sadly, it was a bit too tough of a fight, and two PCs died, one belonging to an absent player.  That was a fun phone call:

"Oh, BTW, you need to roll up a new PC.  Your druid died last session."

"Why were you playing my character?"

"Because we sort of left off at a cliffhanger and I couldn't just poof you out or have the other two guys just 'do something else'."
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RealMarkP

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
Because we sort of left off at a cliffhanger and I couldn't just poof you out or have the other two guys just 'do something else'.

Exactly my predicament. Not only that, the fights are much harder to manage when you control 3-10 enemies, plus two complex NPC'd characters.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
Oh, for absent players without an assigned alternate player, they will perform their usual actions, if they can't be removed properly, but they also gain Perfect Plot Armor, short of a TPK nothing permanent happens to a character who isn't there.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »
Oh, for absent players without an assigned alternate player, they will perform their usual actions, if they can't be removed properly, but they also gain Perfect Plot Armor, short of a TPK nothing permanent happens to a character who isn't there.
I suppose that's not a bad idea.  The phone call would have gone a little better with her PC being KOed instead of killed.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Novea

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
I've seen various DMs do several different things, but the following have worked out the best.

1)  DM always tried to get us to end up in a city (like previously stated) so the character ran of with SOMEONE to have a little fun.  Next session, the character came back with information for the next plot hook.

2)  When stuck in a dungeon, (we are in the Underdark right now) the PC vanishes from site.. no tracks... s/he's just not there.  Maybe add some of the things from Hero's of Horror to get us scared that we may be next.  But it so happens that either s/he took a wrong turn when trying to find a restroom or they were captured.

3)  The DM would play the character a little.  The PC wouldn't have any rolls in combat unless something rather bad was going to happen to another PC... then they would step in with a perfectly timed spell, but the main rule was:  the PC would live no matter what happened b/c the player wasn't there to 'supervise" his PC. 

We also have a custom built character class: Drunken Monk (our DM didn't like hte one wizard came up with) that has a feat of "Where did he go now?"  If no one is watching the monk, he disappears to only be found randomly later.  Our monk has ended up in a locked / warded room... in the middle of the Tomb of Horrors passed out.  It's quite funny.  Those are just a few ideas.  Enjoy!

RealMarkP

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:52:02 AM »
I tried to put some of the ideas here into action. Since the game left off in a populated area and the absent player's character has a personal quest, I had him go off and do something related to the quest. The character, a barbarian, to fulfill one of his test of fortitude took an absurd amount of portions, alcohol and various 'drugs'. In a drug induced haze, he trashed a potion shop and tried to take on the town's guards. I didn't expect it, but the players took the entire session to find him before continuing on the quest.

psyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »
I've given in trying to make it particularly believable. All I know is that putting a player character in another player's hands is something that should never be done, and that -as GM- it's not really my job either.

If the session can't be run without the character then it shouldn't be run without the player, so we play a one-off or card game. I have at least 5 players, so that I can generally run a man down if needs be.

The PC just fades into the background, elects to stand guard duty or other 'stay-behind' tasks, and generally does little. If there's a fight, she'll be 'hero fighting' in the background with something - trading blows to no actual effect.

Next session... they're back, and right there.

It's not realistic perhaps, but this is a game, and games are meant to be fun. Coming back to find your character screwed over or dead because someone else was playing him just sucks.

On the other hand, absent players don't get XP. No risk = no reward.