Author Topic: need help picking spells to persist  (Read 2573 times)

borsniel

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
need help picking spells to persist
« on: June 02, 2011, 02:09:12 AM »
im currently building a cleric 1/ battle sorcerer 5 for a game im in

a few house rulings my DM has made

1. touch is a fixed range
2. domain turns can be used to power divine meta magic
3. i can use divine meta magic on spells from other spell lists.

with these rules i wanted to make a decent gish. my dm has allowed flaws so as a 6th level human with 2 flaws, my feats are
1. extend spell
Hb. persist spell
f1. divine meta magic
f2. extra turning
3. extra turning
6. extra turning

total turns to power divine meta magic is 57 or 8 persisted spells per day at level 6.

i was looking at different spells and here is what i have chosen

cleric
lesser vigor
blood wind

sorcerer
1st
fist of stone
shield
critical strike
2nd
wraith strike
 i was wondering if there were any spells of first or second level in the sor/wis spell list that just screamed to be persisted. thanks in advance for any help. 

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Re: need help picking spells to persist
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:41:22 AM »
Why battle sorcerer rather than Stalwart Sorcerer?
BG's other resident furry!

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:55:42 AM »
battle sor has average bab, and can wear light Armour. all the stall wart gives is more hp, a weapon prof, and wep focus

i went with battle mainly due to the better bab

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:46 AM »
battle sor has average bab, and can wear light Armour. all the stall wart gives is more hp, a weapon prof, and wep focus

i went with battle mainly due to the better bab
But you can get Divine Power in 3 levels anyway? Then your BAB will be meaningless.
Mirror Image is a decent spell to persist.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
Are your domain choices fixed? If not, you could take the Planning Domain from Spell Compendium. It would give you Extend Spell for free, along with Time Stop.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
And undeath domain grants you extra turning for free as well. I think Vecna could be argued to have both. Or you could just worship an ideal.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »
true undeath and planning would give me those 2 feats for free. but like i said earlier the turns from fire and air count towards divine meta magic. so with those 2 domains i get 21 turns at level 1. and for every extra turning feat i get 12 more instead of four, for a total of 57 turns or 8 persisted spells per day. as far as BaB goes, i don't want to go full cleric cause we all ready have a cleric, hes my friend and a new player, so the group is letting him experiment a bit to let him get the hang of things. if i come in as a CoDzilla and out shine him i would feel like a total dick. so yha those are a few of the reasons behind my current build.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:34:06 PM by borsniel »

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
There is a spell in Complete Champion called Substitute Domain IIRC. it allows you to exchange your domains for other domains that your deity offers. So you may get the Earth and Water domains and the turning they offer. It is a second level spell.

As a first level spell, persisting true strike should work I think. The wording of the spell, taken with persist, is a bit confusing.

Other good spells include Expeditious Retreat, Detect Thoughts, Enlarge/Reduce Person, See Invisibility, Alter Self or any of the attribute boosting spells would be solid choices.

Something I personally have done was Persist Scholar's Touch (lvl 1 spell, RoD pg 167) and used it to read entire libraries in minutes. My knowledge checks were insane.  :D And I would try to get the spell Delay Death on your spell list. Its a 3rd level cleric spell, which is also on the Destiny domain spell list in Races of Destiny. It prevents death from occurring due to HP loss. :)

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
hmm not sure about true strike, think my dm would smack me if i tried that one. but the others are all good suggestions thanks for the input.also i don't think the domains will matter cause im not taking any more levels as cleric, i want to pick up shape change as a 9th level spell as soon as possible. 

Esgath

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
Persisting True Strike wouldn't work either.

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
As I said, really confusing wording. haha

kremti

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
It's really hard to beat Alter Self for the 2nd level slot, I think...

-K

borsniel

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
damn, for got about alter self. have to pick that one up after haste, thank god my group uses 3.0 haste.

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
You're picking up wraithstrike, alter self AND haste 3.0? Plus 5 other spells? And then you worry that you'll out-cleric the cleric. Maybe you should look at the "first time you were broken" tread because you're getting there. 8 persistes spells at lvl 6 is just silly.

You forgot the extend trick to make your persisted spells last 48 hours. That way you can realy go to town.

I don't know what the avarage optimizing level of your party is but I think you're going way overboard here.