Author Topic: Brainstorming Thread for a New Advanced Wizard Handbook  (Read 11562 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Re: Brainstorming Thread for a New Advanced Wizard Handbook
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »
I can toss you a build.
I think what I was thinking of was more a play by play to go with the build... maybe Tml20's guide already does that.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 10:37:27 PM »
Getting Psi tricks over to a Wizard ... you know why  :)
might be worth a chapter, but only if Dr#349 goodies can be included.

Chameleon Crafting feat can make Scrolls of Psi Power,
and then the Wiz writes that into his spellbook.
Too bad (good thing) Wiz doesn't have augmentation access.
PsyRef fits it here.
Finding a Psi NPC, then Diplomancing, then fiddling around ...

Cerebremetamagic ... is quite the dish, for powering metamagic slots.

Psiotheurgist feat(s) aren't as effective as Bauglir's CL thread.
Useful on an Ardent 2 dip or Cerebremancer-esque build.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »
Can't we have some practical Magic in this?
I want to see at least 1 core wizard build, and how to play. Included in any Wizard guide.
Since it comes up so much. . .
Mostly when Giacomo is involved. He's obsessed with core-only and tries to restrict everyone else to it, even when nobody else so much as mentions a core-only paradigm.

Genesis->Astral Projection->Giacomo ended.  Now that that's out of the way...
I thought we were talking core only.

Contingent Action Loops - Requires something like Foresight to be immune to surprise.  Fire off a Greater Celerity with your immediate action.  You now are taking a full round action at your next turn's swift action's expense.  Use it to cast Greater Arcane Fusion, both normal and quickened.
You don't have an action to quicken it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 12:09:52 AM »

*Raises Hand*
Um, I don't know why, actually.  Care to explain?

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »
I never see any list of (sounds maybe funny) useful Fighter-Feats for the Wizard. Since the Variant from UA allows the wizard to trade Scribe Scroll and the bonus feats for bonus feats from the fighter list, it's a good possibility. I think the best should be improved initiative and improved toughness (+1hp/HD), but there is more to get I think.

Would be nice if anyone who makes a new wizard handbook implements this.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
I never see any list of (sounds maybe funny) useful Fighter-Feats for the Wizard. Since the Variant from UA allows the wizard to trade Scribe Scroll and the bonus feats for bonus feats from the fighter list, it's a good possibility. I think the best should be improved initiative and improved toughness (+1hp/HD), but there is more to get I think.

Would be nice if anyone who makes a new wizard handbook implements this.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »
Ok, so there have to be other tricks out there - maybe we should start porting over applicable stuff from the Dirty Tricks Handbook?

Also, here's another trick that I've seen floating around:

You Can't Handle the Truth -
[spoiler]This trick is a way of foiling True Seeing, at least in a limited way.  It takes Invisible Spell (Cityscape, pg. 61) and Fog Cloud (or other such vision blocker).  You cast Invisible Fog Cloud (which is easy, since Invisible Spell is a +0 metamagic) and you and your party are unaffected by it.  However, someone using True Seeing will see only fog.  Flavor with reach/ranged weapons and attacks to taste.[/spoiler]

Another one that I think could use fleshing out would be Contact Other Plane encoding shenanigans:
[spoiler]
If I remember correctly: Question 1 counts as 1, question 2 counts as 2, question 3 counts as 4, question 5 counts as 8, etcetera. Ask the entity for the number corresponding to the sums of the questions whose answer is yes/true/whatever, convert to binary, and you've saved a lot of time.
[/spoiler]

I'll post more when I think of/encounter them.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
If I remember correctly: Question 1 counts as 1, question 2 counts as 2, question 3 counts as 4, question 5 counts as 8, etcetera. Ask the entity for the number corresponding to the sums of the questions whose answer is yes/true/whatever, convert to binary, and you've saved a lot of time.

Don't forget error correction at the end. =)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »

Don't forget error correction at the end. =)

Hey, I don't know how the trick works, I'm just posting the explanation I've been able to find so far.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 07:46:45 PM »

*Raises Hand*

Well ... there is a current Psi Tricks thread going on.
I like Psi, but Wizards can hack most of that.
Maybe not do it all as well as a Psi build, but still.

Wizard gets a hold of PsyRef. No augmentation problems on that power.
Wizard gets lots of mileage out of PsyRef; just have to finagle finding it.
Limited Wish works, although that's quite a wait.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »

*Raises Hand*

Yes...um...I...uh...I started that thread.  I just thought there might be something specific you were referring to, rather than getting access to all the fun things psychics can do.  I think Kell has a trick for that on the TO board.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »

*Raises Hand*

Yes...um...I...uh...I started that thread.  I just thought there might be something specific you were referring to, rather than getting access to all the fun things psychics can do.  I think Kell has a trick for that on the TO board.

Based on the Shards of Leadership trick, yes.  To add : An Incantatrix can use Metamagic Effect to apply metamagic to spells that usually don't qualify for the feat in question.  Control Winds on an army with Chain Spell?  Yes please.  I plan on dedicating an entire section to JUST the Incantatrix.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 02:48:37 AM »
The Incantatrix is pretty fantastic, especially when combined with any of the ways of reducing metamagic costs.

I was wondering, is there anything like the Psionic Feat Battery trick, but for Arcanists?  Obviously there's the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle, but I'm looking more for a way to get more feats, not convert useless feats into more useful ones.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
The Incantatrix is pretty fantastic, especially when combined with any of the ways of reducing metamagic costs.

I was wondering, is there anything like the Psionic Feat Battery trick, but for Arcanists?  Obviously there's the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle, but I'm looking more for a way to get more feats, not convert useless feats into more useful ones.

Mirror Move gets you 1 per int bonus.  DCFS into what you want, enjoy on-tap LCB's :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »
Here's another one, though it costs 10 levels.  Rainbow Servant 10 can turn Tier 4's and 3's into 1's, due to access to the Cleric list.  Mind you, this is a CO trick, the TO trick will follow.  Wizard (as soon as you can sneak in)/Rainbow Servant 10 is a bone stock way to get Initiate of Mystra.  Now, the mild cheese is refluffing it per the adaptation to a different being, thus changing up the domains granted (though even as is it grants turning pools).  The TO trick requires all of one spell of the polymorph variety, into any being that has level 3 or greater cleric spellcasting.  Viola, you qualify for IoM.  Cheesy as hell, but no worse than using a Ring of Evasion to get into Foc. Lyrist.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
Now, the mild cheese is refluffing it per the adaptation to a different being,
I'd consider that significantly more than mild cheese, since it's the type of thing that requires the DM to explicitly allow you to make shit up that can break the game.  At that point, I could just make my own lightning warrior class and have the DM ok it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 01:13:42 AM »

*Raises Hand*

Based on the Shards of Leadership trick, yes.  To add : An Incantatrix can use Metamagic Effect to apply metamagic to spells that usually don't qualify for the feat in question.  Control Winds on an army with Chain Spell?  Yes please.  I plan on dedicating an entire section to JUST the Incantatrix.
I'd love to see your justification for that one.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 01:30:56 AM »

*Raises Hand*

Absolutely.  Metamagic Effect does not target spells, but the still ongoing effects of spells.  As such, it doesn't give a shit what the initial parameters were, or if it could possibly utilize the metamagic in question.  Chain is one of my favorites, but Echoing could be interesting, too, or how about Delay on that debuff the BBEG just used.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »

*Raises Hand*

Absolutely.  Metamagic Effect does not target spells, but the still ongoing effects of spells.  As such, it doesn't give a shit what the initial parameters were, or if it could possibly utilize the metamagic in question.  Chain is one of my favorites, but Echoing could be interesting, too, or how about Delay on that debuff the BBEG just used.
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It is not even close to correct. What makes you think that an ongoing spell effect is any different than a spell at the time of casting? There is no proof for this, it's just some random bullshit you made up. Spells that target "ongoing spell effects" such as dispel magic specify "ongoing spells." These are no different from each other, and there is no evidence that just because Metamagic Effect says "ongoing spell effects" doesn't mean that you can use it to apply meta's to spells that normally wouldn't work with that meta.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
For the "bad kinds of wizards", namely ray mages, blaster and other forms of damage dealers, the seemingly forgotten combination of Red Wizard (with Leadership) and Wings of Flurry allows for way better results than Incantatrix (with the caster level always at 40 thanks to Circle Magic, it's even better than getting a free twin spell considering you won't have any SR issues)
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]