Author Topic: My Cleric Idea  (Read 3176 times)

Piazza2425

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
My Cleric Idea
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
Alright.  In my campaign that I am playing in, I need to create a new character.  I am thinking of a human cleric because of the feat and extra skill point.  It is a 28 pt buy system which caps at an ability score of 16 before racial mods.  These are the feats that I am going to take right now.  This charactre is 11th level.

1st- Extra Turning x2(two flaws), Extend spell, persist spell
3rd- DMM(persist)

After these I have no idea.  The four PrC's I am considering are Church Inquisitor, Comtemplative, Divine Orcale, and RsoP. 

If I go Comtemplative, is it worth it to get spontanious domain feat?

I would like your help to create the baddest offensive melee cleric and the baddest defensive cleric with a nice AC.  All the help you can give me is appreciated.  BoED is out and ToB is out.  Any questions, do not hesitate to ask.  Thanks all.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: My Cleric Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
Those are all good PrCs.  Depending on the deities you have available, getting one with the War domain and a good two-handed weapon (like a greatsword, greataxe, or falchion) is a good boost for an offensive cleric.  You can get a pretty good Str score with a persistant Divine Power running.  That also boosts your BAB and makes Power Attack a viable (and important) option.

As for ability scores with the point buy you have, I'd recommend something like this for your starting stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

You could toy around with the Dex, Int, and Cha a bit depending on your needs (as these are the three least important abilities).  You don't really need much of a Cha score, as each persistant spell will cost you 7 turn attempts.  Given your two Extra Turning feats (+8 attempts), and the three you start with, you have 11.  You'd need at least a 16 in your Cha to get enough turn attempts to let you persist two spells per day.  I don't think it's worth blowing ten points of your point buy.  If you can buy some nightsticks (not too costly for an 11th level character), I'd say buy one or two and dump your Cha score.  If you buy two, you can free up one of those Extra Turning feats too.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Piazza2425

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
Already asked, nightsticks are not allowed.  So CHA is actually gonna have to be somewhat important.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
Get Greatclub profficiency somehow, get Extra Spell (Greater Mighty Wallop) and Extra Spell (Vampiric Touch), get a +1 Greatclub of Spell Storing, and profit.

Alternatively, take a dip in Dread Necromancer (from Heroes of Horror). This only works if you are a LN, N, or CN cleric. You will get both Turn *and* Rebuke Undead. They are separate pools. However, Extra Turning increases *all* forms of Turning by 4. Thus, you effectively double your DMM fuel.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:20:29 PM by AndyJames »

Piazza2425

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:51 PM »
wow.... those are some nasty ideas!   :D

Piazza2425

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:23:42 PM »
what book is the planning domain from?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
One of the FR books. Player's Guide to Faerun, I think.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:21:22 PM »
Spell Compendium.

Also, if you decide to do archery, take a fey as your race.  Then take Charming the Arrow (WotC website), to fuel your attack modifier off of charisma, and thus increasing your turning pool when boosting attack.  This is mainly for buff clerics who don't focus on save DCs.  Dread Necromancer: I support this dip.  Domains, depending on the interpretation, can also increase your pool if you take Air or Fire or something like that that grants elemental rebuking/turning.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:28 PM »
Unfortunately, domain pools don't work. Turn and Rebuke elemental creatures/outsiders are not the same as Turn/Rebuke Undead. DMM specifically only triggers off Turn/Rebuke Undead, as does all the Divine x feats.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »
That's what I thought, but it is pretty vague in some areas on it, some places contradicting others.  I will always rule only undead turning/rebuking works.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »
Definitely ask your DM. I agree with dman that I will always rule it only working with undead turning, but the actual vagueness of the wording of divine feats makes for an argument that elemental turning works as well.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Piazza2425

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
Well I think I am going to be the "in your face" kind of cleric.  As for the extra turning from the elementals.... not even gonna try it with my dm.  That is a standard "no".   :lol 

So since I am planning on being an in your face cleric, taking the brunt of the punishment, what spells should I use in a battle including persist spells.  I'm thinking of the following:

-Divine Power
-Righteous Might
-Righteous Might of the Wrathful
-Magic Vestment
-Shield of Faith
-Shield of Warding
-(perhaps ice axe or darkfire)

Any other defensive/offensive spells for a battle or day that can be persisted.  Thinkin' of the feats Quicken spell and and DMM(quicken). 

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »
Holy/Infernal Transformation and Visage of the Diety are good choices for persistant buffs.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
Get Greatclub profficiency somehow, get Extra Spell (Greater Mighty Wallop) and Extra Spell (Vampiric Touch), get a +1 Greatclub of Spell Storing, and profit.

I thought Extra Spell didn't allow you to pick spells from a spell not on your list?
Since at least GMW is a Sorc/Wiz spell and probably Vampiric T. also.
Of course, depending on DM, that might not be a problem.

I recall this surfacing in a Duskblade thread over at Gleemax a while ago with Wraithstrike.
I think the Errata proclaims it to only work with the characters existing spell list.
Which would be pointless on a cleric, who knows every spell on his.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »

I thought Extra Spell didn't allow you to pick spells from a spell not on your list?
Since at least GMW is a Sorc/Wiz spell and probably Vampiric T. also.
Of course, depending on DM, that might not be a problem.

I recall this surfacing in a Duskblade thread over at Gleemax a while ago with Wraithstrike.
I think the Errata proclaims it to only work with the characters existing spell list.
Which would be pointless on a cleric, who knows every spell on his.
No. That was not an errata. It was a "Sage" ruling, IIRC.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »
Ah well, let's put it this way then:

It might be legal, it might not.
It's sound advice, so talk with your GM. ;)

One of those Vampiric Touch-empowering crystals from MIC might be a good idea then :)
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.