Author Topic: Animal Companion-Cat,Small.  (Read 4733 times)

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
Animal Companion-Cat,Small.
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
This thread is just to get some opinions.

The situation is Ranger Animal Companion. The Ranger wants a Lepord rather than a Cheetah, sprint of course doesn't really fit with a Lepord(AFAIK).

Would it be "balanced" to allow the Ranger to replace sprint with pounce
(which the Lepord has naturally, just not as an animal companion, like how wolves appearantly lose Low Light Vision during the ritual.)

My first thought is "no," after all pounce is a much more powerful ability than sprint.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Animal Companion-Cat,Small.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
It also seems that some animals just randomly lose some abilities.

For example:

Lepords lose pounce and rake

Wolves lose Low Light Vision(AFAIK they're the only animal companion not to have it).

I've brought this up on the Paizo boards as well, but so far not much help.

As a DM I'd probably rule it as every animal companion once they advance, gain the abilities they normally would have.

So a Lepord would start out as normal, small animal with scent and low-light vision, and then at 4th level advance to a medium animal and gain pounce and rake.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
thoughts? its funny that the rangers wolf is supposed to be less good at hunting than a regular wild one, i guess all that time camping on the outskirts of town is bad for their eyes..

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »
Appearantly it's a typo, but hasn't been correct in eratta and I can't seem to get a straight answer from the paizo boards. So far the responces have pretty much been "I don't know maybe" or better yet someone confusing themselves and getting too hung up on the creature's size, when the thread is discussing/questioning the seemingly random inclusion/exclusion of animal special abilities/qualities when converting them over to animal companions. Which was a big WTF?  ???

I'm starting to believe what some people have said about the paizo boards.  :(

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:48 AM »
I'm starting to believe what some people have said about the paizo boards.  :(

It's true sadly. Only thing Paizo boards are good for in my experience is some comic relief.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:49:02 AM »
I think what I'm mostly decided to do is just give the animals companions the special abilities/qualities they'd normally have. So wolf still has Low Light vision.

In the case of the Lepord, he'd gain Pounce & Rake when he advances at 4th Druid/7th Ranger level.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:36 AM »
Well, the low light vision is clearly an oversight, not so sure about the pounce(it is on the strong side if it comes with the rake)
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 05:23:39 AM »
Well both the Cheetah(who has sprint) and the Lepord(who has pounce&rake) have near identical stats and are CR 2.

Just seems easier to give the animals the special abilities/qualities that they'd actually have, rather than trying to fuse with the seemingly random inclusions/exclusions. After all, animal companions are still animals.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:09:16 AM »
True, the main difference is combat power wise, but I doubt they were thinking so deeply about that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
Aye and I do realize that pounce is more powerful/useful than sprint.