Author Topic: Help me Optimize an epic level Great Wyrm Red Dragon NPC for my DM!  (Read 6045 times)

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
My DM has asked me to come up with a NPC to use as one of his "stfu" buttons for the major factions of the world.

His main stipulations  are as follows:
* Must be a true dragon
* The dragon will start at max age category. (I debate using the epic rules on dragon progression or not.)
* The dragon must be a master of all arcane.
* In addition to his draconic HD the dragon has 21 character levels to play with.
* Wealth, Time, and Resources are effectively limitless barring bending space time.
* The dragon must be immortal and immune to the effects of time. (DM's words, not mine.)
* Sources are pretty much anything within reason.

So far the main thing I have gotten so far is

Race: Great Red Wyrm Dragon
Class: Dragon Ascendant 12/ 9 X ?

I would appreciate any ideas on how to further advance this NPC. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Apply the loredrake sovereign archetype from Dragons of Eberron for +2 to sorcerer casting.

Consider using the tome, hex or steel dragons, which have more of a casting focus. Or the time dragon, the most powerful dragon variety ever printed. (a great wyrm has a CR of 70 or 80)
For another route to immortality, is there any problem with the dragon being a dracolich?

For something more memorable, try throwing on some weird templates like multiheaded or making it a hybrid of multiple dragon types (preferably ones with subtypes that cancel out each others' weaknesses). Or go for the classic "albino red dragon living in an arctic volcano", though that only fools people who don't get a good look at it before they prepare a bunch of fire spells.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:08:26 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
Disregarding Epic Spellcasting,

If the dragon has had near limitless time & wealth, if he has taken levels in Ambient Tempest (bestiary of krynn), and has Craft Wonderous Item, he could have effectively personally crafted a knowstone(dr333), of every sorcerer spell ever. Thus, can cast any sorcerer spell spontaneously. (If not stockpiling them from other sources anyways)

(If it were a steel/silver/etc dragon with sorc & cleric list, it could be every sorc and cleri spell, so even better...)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Your main weakness is having a touch AC of 2 so that needs to be addressed somehow. A level of monk would help greatly here since your wis score is 27 and can easily be boosted as well as getting improved unarmed strike and another feat like improved grapple.

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
The monk level would also qualify him for Ascetic Mage, keying the AC modifier off of Cha instead of Wis. Same modifier, but since his spells are Cha-based boosting it will also boost spells DC.
You could also grab a couple levels of Arcane Duelist for more Charisma to AC, but that might be too heavy an investment and could probably be better spent elsewhere.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
For this DM, I'd try to get a lot of spells persisted, so the character is really simple.  Also remember, Scintillating Scales helps your touch AC IMMENSELY.
BG's other resident furry!

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
Your main weakness is having a touch AC of 2 so that needs to be addressed somehow. A level of monk would help greatly here since your wis score is 27 and can easily be boosted as well as getting improved unarmed strike and another feat like improved grapple.

Monk's Belt or
Scintillating Scales? (w/e spell that makes natural armor -> deflection)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
size fine / incorporeal / hiding = AC enough (especially when your expected to be the opposite of those.)
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
The main reason why I'm not recommending Scintillating Scales is because one of my favorite tactics with a dragon like this is to cast antimagic field on himself and to start grappling. Ascetic mage is a good idea.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Whyever would anyone cripple themselves with antimagic field? It's just a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE spell unless you want to get past certain magical field effects by walking through them, at which point you dispel the field...

Daniel678

Re: Help me Optimize an epic level Great Wyrm Red Dragon NPC for my DM!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
Whyever would anyone cripple themselves with antimagic field? It's just a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE spell unless you want to get past certain magical field effects by walking through them, at which point you dispel the field...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0627.html

Last 2 panels.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 04:01:24 AM »
Yea, seen it. So what?  If a wizard of that level of power doesn't have several useful contingencies against a small size antimagic field, he isn't doing it right...  Besides, V banned the best school so that the strip could actually have a plot!

Eviltedzies

• Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
I had not considered the Lordrake idea, although I like it very much. Where is the Time Dragon printed?

I am leaving epic spellcasting alone for now. He will have the feat for it, but I'll let the DM figure out what else he wants to put on it. I do not have the Bestiary of Krynn so I cannot say whether Ambient Tempest would be useful or not. I had considered the idea of using his wealth/time to allow him to cast any and all arcane spells.

As far as AC is concerned I had intented to just persistant spell Scintillating Scales. Although throwing in 1 level of monk and Ascetic Mage would be interesting.
Fine Size + Incorporeal +Hiding as an epic level uber dragon? I somehow see my DM laughing me back to the drawing board with that one. Practical, but depending on the dragon not so reasonable.

As for Antimagic Fields. I had intended to take three levels in Cleric or Archivist in order to take Initiate of Mystra.

I had intended the NPC to just persistant spell a massive number of useful spells at a rediculously high CL so as to prevent dispelling.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 11:22:27 AM »
As far as AC is concerned I had intented to just persistant spell Scintillating Scales. Although throwing in 1 level of monk and Ascetic Mage would be interesting.

The Monk level actually isn't even necessary. The feat requires Improved Unarmed Strike, which is a feat, and it says, "If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC." So you could drop the Monk level if you like and just grab a Monk Belt. Or collar. Or whatever non-humanoids wear. Either way, you would get back the CL but lose one of your feats. Your call.

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
I don't know the requirements for Initiate of Mystra:  dunno the book... but could you qualify simply by NOT taking loredrake? Taking the archetype sacrifices your inherent clerical spell casting.  2 bonus levels of Sorcerer < 3 levels spent on Cleric which you could simply use as sorcerer levels if you want anyway.
I had not considered the Lordrake idea, although I like it very much. Where is the Time Dragon printed?

I am leaving epic spellcasting alone for now. He will have the feat for it, but I'll let the DM figure out what else he wants to put on it. I do not have the Bestiary of Krynn so I cannot say whether Ambient Tempest would be useful or not. I had considered the idea of using his wealth/time to allow him to cast any and all arcane spells.

Fine Size + Incorporeal +Hiding as an epic level uber dragon? I somehow see my DM laughing me back to the drawing board with that one. Practical, but depending on the dragon not so reasonable.

As for Antimagic Fields. I had intended to take three levels in Cleric or Archivist in order to take Initiate of Mystra.

I had intended the NPC to just persistant spell a massive number of useful spells at a rediculously high CL so as to prevent dispelling.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
If you get Intitiate of Mystra, take Permanent Emanation (Antimagic Field). Take that, everyone!

If homebrew is allowed, go for a bit of ToB for the Breath of Fire discipline (strikes using your breath weapon...)

I would suggest grabbing those tasty, tasty feats from Dragons of Eberron. You know, the one that nabs you Change Shape? Then grab Warshaper.

Another fun thing to do is grab Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. Persistify that spell that gives you 1 temporary action point every round. Use your FUCK YOU options as often as you want.

Grab a couple levels of wizards, and go for Ultimate Magus. There, you just got awesome powers, and if you can get 6th level wizard spells, you can go for Arcane Recharge for spells of 6th level or below.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »
i suggest using the dragon ascendant prestige to make the dragon immortal.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
If you class grant spellcasting, would those levels stack with the sorcerer levels you already have?

If so, an Incantatrix Red Dragon would be some of the scariest monster ever. Especially since it can make it's buffs persisted.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »

The Monk level actually isn't even necessary. The feat requires Improved Unarmed Strike, which is a feat, and it says, "If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC." So you could drop the Monk level if you like and just grab a Monk Belt. Or collar. Or whatever non-humanoids wear. Either way, you would get back the CL but lose one of your feats. Your call.
Dragons can use whatever magical items humanoids can.

Handy Links

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
What about going crazy and using Anima Mage?  You've already got the Sorcerer levels to dive right in, and epic Binder powers are actually really cool.  So, that could be worth doing.

JaronK