Author Topic: What do Epic Mundanes do?  (Read 10891 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: What do Epic Mundanes do?
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 02:07:53 AM »
There are other SoDs that don't have the Death descriptor. I know the Pyrokineticist Heat Death ability doesn't, and a bit of Ctrl-Fing has gotten me Final Rebuke in Spell Compendium (it is Fear and Mind-affecting, though, but that's not the point). You're probably right about core spells, though. Too tired to be really exhaustive about this.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2011, 03:55:50 AM »
One question that has been raised is how can a mundane survive in past level 20 against optimized opponents. I think that it is possible as long as the mundane has all of the immunities, great stealth skills, evasion and mettle, auto-success on saving throws, and immunity/high resistance to health damage.

One build that gets most of these things would be

hexblade 4/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin 2/Occult Slayer 5/Bone Knight 10/Void Incarnate 10

This build doesn't quite autosuccess on saves but it's saves are very strong. It's biggest weakness out of the box is HP damage. That would need to be fixed with some friendly spells. Note: It needs evasion and slippery mind from items.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2011, 04:19:28 AM »
Actually, it's arguably impossible to become immune to Implosion, due to it's lack of a [Death] descriptor (which every single other SoD has).  That said, typical save-boosting tactics still apply.
You simply have to be not corporeal.

Cue thread drive by :D Ghosts as deemed mundane by the original poster.

Swordsage gets a maneuver to become incorporeal. Shadow Hand 8 Counter, One With Shadow. Become incorporeal for 1 round as an immediate action.
Ghosts could be a natural end state for an epic level mundane!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
This build doesn't quite autosuccess on saves but it's saves are very strong. It's biggest weakness out of the box is HP damage. That would need to be fixed with some friendly spells. Note: It needs evasion and slippery mind from items.

Paladin 2 / Warblade 3 / Crimson Scourge 8 / Shiba Protector 1 / Iaijitsu Master 5 / Marshal 1
Immunity to damage, Wisdom to attack/damage/ac, Charisma to saves (covers maneuver expenditure), initiative twice and added per die of iaijitsu strike. Tight on feats though. Notably, not epic.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »
I once challenged myself to build the simplest, epic-viable build I could do w/out heavy spellcasting.  It was almost entirely Paladin:  Battle Blessing + Ride-By Attack + Find the Gap + Power Attack ... and that was mostly it.  I think it also acquired really good reach (30 feet or thereabouts) and had Stand Still and the Steadfast Boots. 

Paladin w/ an epic charisma covers most of your saves, and you could mix in Hexblade or various other matters to taste.  Sure, you'll fail every so often, but get a few items that give you a re-roll once per day, and that should usually take care of it.  Unless the enemy has pounce, you're only subject to 1 attack, and you can get quite a good AC (at least as good as any PC can get) and typically Stand Still will stymie them in melee combat anyway.  You've got only 1 attack, but it's a good one, below ubercharger damage but still high enough to be credible. 

The build worked for the session or two that I remember us playing w/ it.  And, that's not counting stuff like Devotion feats (I don't think they existed at the time).  Crucially, though, it's assuming enemies that are essentially from the books -- i.e., the opponents aren't really optimized.  It's also heavily gear dependent, Freedom of Movement being a necessity, but that's hardly unique:  all D&D characters are, and epic ones just moreso. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »
I once challenged myself to build the simplest, epic-viable build I could do w/out heavy spellcasting.  It was almost entirely Paladin:  Battle Blessing + Ride-By Attack + Find the Gap + Power Attack ... and that was mostly it.  I think it also acquired really good reach (30 feet or thereabouts) and had Stand Still and the Steadfast Boots. 

Paladin w/ an epic charisma covers most of your saves, and you could mix in Hexblade or various other matters to taste.  Sure, you'll fail every so often, but get a few items that give you a re-roll once per day, and that should usually take care of it.  Unless the enemy has pounce, you're only subject to 1 attack, and you can get quite a good AC (at least as good as any PC can get) and typically Stand Still will stymie them in melee combat anyway.  You've got only 1 attack, but it's a good one, below ubercharger damage but still high enough to be credible. 

The build worked for the session or two that I remember us playing w/ it.  And, that's not counting stuff like Devotion feats (I don't think they existed at the time).  Crucially, though, it's assuming enemies that are essentially from the books -- i.e., the opponents aren't really optimized.  It's also heavily gear dependent, Freedom of Movement being a necessity, but that's hardly unique:  all D&D characters are, and epic ones just moreso. 
But paladins are casters.

If 'non primary' casters are available, psywars can kick ass in epic, especially if they decide to multiclass for more pp.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
Man I miss school already. Now that LYcan is out we have to hear about Psywars on every thread.
Look we get it, psionics is broken and better than everything else. thanks for reminding us until we can't get it out of our head. Truce?

It's partial casters are allowed, I back a Bard concept.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »
Man I miss school already. Now that LYcan is out we have to hear about Psywars on every thread.
Look we get it, psionics is broken and better than everything else. thanks for reminding us until we can't get it out of our head. Truce?

Hey, I have psionics, Sinfire Titan has incarnum, and you have...whatever it is you actually do around here.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »

Hey, I have psionics, Sinfire Titan has incarnum, and you have...whatever it is you actually do around here.
Mostly gishes (like the bard), I think I am the advocater for Stormcaster though too.

I just very things enough you don't hear about them all the time. I can't think of a single time Sin mentioned Incarnum so he is doing a pretty good job plugging it in too.
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »

Yeah, that's fine, just don't do an "Endarire and his Hood" thing. :P I swear, if you start linking to your PsyWar build every time you mention it, I will start calling you Endarire The 2nd. :P
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

Yeah, that's fine, just don't do an "Endarire and his Hood" thing. :P I swear, if you start linking to your PsyWar build every time you mention it, I will start calling you Endarire The 2nd. :P
I only do that occasionally.

Thing is, psionics is the answer often enough that it IS a reasonable response. Of course, the same could potentially be said about his hood builds as well...

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
I, for the purposes of this discussion, don't thing Paladins (or PsyWars, for that matter) count as mundanes.  They have very limited casting, yes, but that casting gives them options people without casting do not enjoy (and in this I include the Factotum, mainly because the campaign I'm playing in which brought on this question strips them of their casting) though I may have to grant that Paladins and Rangers (but not Mystic Rangers) don't get enough spellcasting to truly be casters.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »

... I have barbarians. . .  :( ...  :bigeye 
 :lol
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
Thing is, psionics is the answer often enough that it IS a reasonable response. Of course, the same could potentially be said about his hood builds as well...

Pun-pun can answer anything. Does that mean that Pun-Pun is a reasonable answer?
Complaining constantly about people preferences apparently constitutes a reasonable answer as well.
So instead of starting attack someone who's trying to be helpful instead of being a dick (like you're doing btw) why not have a fucking discussion about what epic mundanes do? Or at least what you'd suggest.
Psionics work lycanthro if that's you're thing keep it up, suggest it as much as you can. If you love psywars scream it from the mountains.
At least you're saying something other than "Whine about how the games not what "I" want it to be".

I've been looking at the epic barb for awhile I'm quite amused to find epic rage feat: Terrifying Rage.  :twitch
Sad thing is ... epic mundanes suffer because them main epic book was written early on before people realized the problems with the game.
I suggest some of these questoins might be better answered by dicefreaks sometimes. They know epic. Iirc
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
depends on the scale of the question.

psionics scale rather nicely. and it frequently does address a given issue more precisely than other options.

dicefreaks has some useful stuff... when they aren't resetting or relocating yet again. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
depends on the scale of the question.

psionics scale rather nicely. and it frequently does address a given issue more precisely than other options.

dicefreaks has some useful stuff... when they aren't resetting or relocating yet again. ^^

How would you describe the various scales the question might take?

Psionics aren't mundane enough for my purposes.  I think they scale well because they are similar in power to Arcane and Divine magic.

What is dicefreaks?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
They're infamous for large homebrew projects.
True. I only brought it up because they seem to have actual rules understanding of the epic system(such as it is) as well as
expanded rules for epic play.
I'd like to help more but I feel like honestly... mundanes are going to go into a whole mess of item optimization.
Which thats likely needed, in reality, its a situation of Ip'ing you're char.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
I've been looking at the epic barb for awhile I'm quite amused to find epic rage feat: Terrifying Rage.  :twitch
Most of the epic class focused feats are pretty cool. However, PrCing out means you lose them not PrCing out means you suck worse than nonepic mundanes. If anyone is being a dick, it's WotC for promising us cake.
[/spoiler]