Author Topic: Pokémon!  (Read 15700 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Pokémon!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
Figured my Grass starter would be screwed against a Bug-type Gym Leader, so I caught a Darukama on Route 4 and raised it up to lv20. Turned out to be unnecessary since I curbstomped the guy, but Darumaka is a pretty nice mon and has taken Panpour's place on my team for now. Also, Audino is turning out to have decent damage output with Secret Power to match its defences (and Attract + Secret Power's secondary effects let it disable enemies).

Audino lv21 (Scope Lens) Regenerator - Secret Power/Attract/Helping Hand/Refresh
Blitzle lv21 (Eviolite) Lightningrod - Flame Charge/Thunder Wave/Charge/Shock Wave
Munna lv21 (Quick Claw) Synchronize - Psybeam/Defense Curl/Moonlight/Hypnosis
Servine lv21 (Miracle Seed) Overgrow - Tackle/Growth/Leech Seed/Leaf Tornado
Sawk lv21 Sturdy - Counter/Low Sweep/Bide/Focus Energy
Darumaka lv22 Hustle - Thief/Facade/Fire Punch/Headbutt

Yeah, I was rather impressed with Audino's combat capabilities. That thing can tank like a champ.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »
What just happened?

Some guy narrated a video that's actually a fairly old.

Seriously, sweeping someone like that is easy with the right setup. A LVL1 Aaron can sweep entire parties if there's a Sandstorm active in Gen 5.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »
What just happened?

Some guy narrated a video that's actually a fairly old.

Seriously, sweeping someone like that is easy with the right setup. A LVL1 Aaron can sweep entire parties if there's a Sandstorm active in Gen 5.
Never got past Gen 3 and my combat tactic never really got past the "Fight [element] with [appropriate element]"-stage. So this is all fairly new to me
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Never got past Gen 3 and my combat tactic never really got past the "Fight [element] with [appropriate element]"-stage. So this is all fairly new to me

Well, so far there's about 3 main 1-hit Kills in the meta.

• F.E.A.R. (Focus Sash, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Rattata, this is actually where the 4E Rattata build derives it's name from, capable of 1-hit Killing a level 100 at level 1, the sweeper version requires an entire party of these).
  • Epic Flail (The above video shows the most insulting form, but others exist, all require level 100 builds)
  • Aggro Aaron (The build I mentioned above, requiring any Pokemon that can produce a Sandstorm (Tyranitar works best, as he's not only capable of it, he's a decent Pokemon in his own right) and an Aaron with Sturdy).

To give further explanation:

F.E.A.R.
[spoiler]You've got a level 1 Rattata and nothing else. It's attacks are Endeavor (learned through breeding) and Quick Attack (same), and whatever else because it doesn't matter past those two. It's holding a Focus Sash (the item used in the video above, prevents the Pokemon from being 1-hit KO'ed if the Pokemon was all ready at full HP, only works once).

Whatever they send out is going to be faster than a level 1 Rattata, so your first attack will be Endeavor (which will go after they get their first attack, which will likely drop Rattata's HP to 1). If played right, the Sash kicks in, and now both Pokemon have only 1 HP left. Next turn, you use Quick Attack and kill them.

It doesn't have to be a Rattata, just any Pokemon capable of learning both Endeavor and Quick Attack.

This build has a very wide number of counters, from Ghost types to high-priority moves to environmental damage from things like Sandstorm or Hail to Knock Off (which kills the Rattata without letting the Focus Sash trigger).[/spoiler]

Epic Flail
[spoiler]As the name implies, you need a Pokemon that knows Flail. You then need something that knows Belly Drum, Substitute, and Baton Pass (Smeargle being the best for the job, as it can also learn Spore as shown in the video). The latter needs to be holding a Salac Berry, and the former needs to have a high speed with good HP.

You let the first one get hit until it's in the red, then switch out for the Baton Passer. If it has a move like Spore or THunder Wave, use it first. The Substitute, Belly Drum, and finally Baton Pass. The Belly Drum will have triggered the Salac Berry (which gives another speed boost). You switch back in the first Pokemon, then have it use Flail to kill them.

The best counter is Extreme Speed or Ghost type immunity. Also, a Rock/Steel like Agron will be capable of surviving the first hit from Flail (especially because of Gen 5's change to Sturdy).[/spoiler]

Aggro Aaron
[spoiler]This is by far the easiest to set up. You need a level 1 Aaron with the Sturdy ability and Endeavor (breedable), a Pokemon like Tyranitar that can produce Sandstorm (that Hippo that's never important enough for me to remember the name of), and an idiot of an opponent. You need the Aaron to be holding a Shell Bell (which restores HP equal to 1/8th of the damage you deal)

It works fairly simply. You lead off with the Tyranitar. Let it get KO'ed (not to easy to do, but it does happen if they have a Fighting type move). That set sup a constant Sandstorm. Switch into the Aaron when the Tyranitar faints. You now use Endeavor to set their HP to whatever Aaron's is (because almost everything in the game is faster than a level 1 Aaron, their attack goes first and will likely drop Aaron to 1). The only thing standing between death and that Aaron is Sturdy, which got revamped in Gen 5 to act like a constantly-active Focus Sash.

Bam, they are at 1 HP, the Shell Bell kicks in and heals Aaron based on the damage Endeavor did (which will be enough to put it back to full). Then the Sandstorm happens, and the enemy Pokemon dies with your Aaron being unharmed.

Anything that can avoid Endeavor or change the weather is capable of stopping this, so most people follow it up with something powerful (like a Scizor).[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »
Similar to the Aggro Aaron trick: Cynthia beaten with lv1 party
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:01 PM »
I am not good at pokemon.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
I just caught a Shiny for the first time. A Ferroseed, if you're interested.
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
Beat Cynthia and caught Kyurem, Zoroark, and Zorua. Kyurem took three tries (third try cost me 2 Ultra Balls), but Zoroark has a high catch rate (one Ultra Ball).

The Current Lineup:

Suicune (Event Shiny), Lvl 39 (undergoing EV Training)
Deino, Lvl 45 (currently EV Training)
Kyurem, Lvl 75
Zekrom, Lvl 55
Ho-oh, Lvl 74
Mewtwo, Lvl 78

I also transfered over my Mew, Jirachi, and Celebi (obviously as I can't catch Zorua without it), the Bird Trio, Lugia, and both of my Raikou (they have different builds).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Wow...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »
N's real name.
[spoiler]...is ridiculous.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:59:14 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 12:42:58 AM »
No wonder he turned into the antagonist.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 05:18:44 AM »

And no wonder he gets shipped with damn near everyone. At least his name lives up to the Memetic Sex God status half of the fanbase has given him.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »

And no wonder he gets shipped with damn near everyone. At least his name lives up to the Memetic Sex God status half of the fanbase has given him.
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »

More than even the starter Pokemon? Man, that guy level grinds like a boss.

[spoiler][/spoiler]